Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Of course ye could have, all Iā€™m saying is itā€™s not like it was a massive underperformance or failure or an indictment on the team or manager that ye didnā€™t, most people would have seen Galway as a stronger team at the time.

Not at all but it was still the best chance of an All Ireland in my lifetime (so far).

3 Likes

To be honest Galway were probably 6 or 7 points the better team that day but Callanan practically threw one into his own net to keep Waterford in touch. First half was Galway popping over a procession of points from all angles and distances with Waterford getting 2 goals (including Callananā€™s howler) pretty much out of nowhere to keep them in touch. Waterford had a good 3rd quarter and Kevin Moran badly skewed that point attempt that would have put them 2 up for the first time. After that Galway settled again and got the next 4 scores I think and got a bit of a lift off the bench with Niall Burke and Flynn contributing 2 points apiece. Even though there was only 3 points in it I never felt we were in danger of losing that game. Had Moran scored that point it might have been a sliding doors moment alright.

1 Like

Galwayā€™s accuracy seemed to be unreal in 2017. Iā€™d love to see the stats but it felt like they barely missed.

Contrast that to the woeful 2018 Final which must have set a world record for the number of wides. I remember being bored off my tree watching that one.

I think they were just physically and mentally spent by the time they got to the final in 18. The replays against Kilkenny and Clare killed them. Especially the 2 games and extra time against Clare in the semis.

Galway hit 6 wides in the 2017 final and 16 in 2018.

Thatā€™s the difference.

Maybe if Waterford put as much pressure on the shooter as Limerick did theyā€™d have won the all Ireland.

2 Likes

Maybe. Some of the wides on both sides in the 2018 final were awful though.

Contrast that to standard of the 2014 Final when there wasnā€™t a wide in the second half until the late Bubbles free.

Exactly. Shit defending.

1 Like

:rollseyes: ā€¦

Waterford were always known as the ā€œgentle countyā€ prior to that match. RTE pushed the promo big time leading up to it, and stressed the Premier and Gentle sobriquets. iā€™ve s distinct memory of the interviews on Sports Stadium on the Saturday prior with Noelie Crowley,Damien Byrne and Shiner Aherne where Waterfordā€™s gentleness was mentioned more than once by the interviewer.

1 Like

Damien delivers my oil now. A great lad. Tough as nails but deceptively skilful. Remembered as a full back but played centre forward for the county as well and took the frees. Made his debut for Waterford against Kilkenny in the league in 1983. He was a 17 yr old marking Christy Heffernan. He got sent off and so did Kenā€™s father Pat for whacking Noel Skehan, an act that was warmly welcomed by many of the Kilkenny fans in the large attendance.

3 Likes

Like the great Richie McCarthy.

Very similar player with a similar cult following.

1 Like

Defending in 2014 final was shocking altogether. No wonder lads were scoring at ease. The pressure put on shots was what won Limerick the all ireland, they created a monstrous, suffocating system that little have been able to cope since that day.

1 Like

Ye are better than this.

A subdued looking Davy Fitzgerald was spotted at Toomeys Service Station, Monard this afternoon. No sign of Bomber or Gazzy.

I wonder is there some form of meeting in Waterford tonight to discuss his future.

3 Likes

What Iā€™ve heard from a few sources is that Davy canā€™t survive the debacle that has been 2023 and there will be a new man at the helm in 2024. There is some talk that he could even be gone by the Tipperary game.

1 Like

Kevin Morans wide killed all the momentum that dsy

1 Like

You seem very excersised by the state of WD hurling, thereā€™s a litany of moans on this thread, as a proud subject of his majesty I donā€™t understand why youā€™re bothered with Paddyā€™s stick fighting.