Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I donā€™t like to blame him because his goal kick started is the same day.

2 Likes

The start killed them that day. Mentally didnā€™t seem right for the occasion which was understandable considering baggage from 2008.

That was where Derek needed to earn his coin. He needed to have mentally on the ball by whatever needs be.

From recollection he didnā€™t even need to shoot when he did. He could have taken it on further and made sure of it.
Even still if you are going to win you have to be able to over come those moments.

Looks like Iā€™ve drawn the Limerick supporting windbag from Mullingar onto me again. Is there not about 20 threads on the go where he could be jabbering away to himself about Limerick.

3 Likes

What also hurt us that day was the early injury to Shane Bennett. The introduction of Maurice Shanahan for him was the wrong move imo.
We seemed to be very formulaic is our subs that year. The first sub always seemed to be Maurice and then Tommy Ryan and then Brian OHalloran. (Thatā€™s the way i viewed it anyway)
For me Maurice was brought on too early in that game and had minimal impact over the remaking 50 minutes.
He needed to come on around the 50 minute mark when defenders and his marker would have been tired and the physically might have dropped slightly.
Tommy Ryan or Oā€™Halloran were the ones to bring on for the Shane Bennett replacement. They at least had the same speed and could run around like blue arse flies emptying the tank in that system we had. But Maurice was first sub and so Maurice was brought on.

Grim reading from a Waterford perspective.

Looking at that table and considering Clare have been also rans and this is a golden limerick generation coupled with John Kielyā€™s championship record in 70 minute match v Clare - 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats, even if you include the extra time win itā€™s only 3 wins out of 7 - you would have to say it puts a fairly big asterisk in the history book

What you reckon @peddlerscross

Absolutely. Couldnā€™t agree more.

Limerickā€™s record there is very, very underwhelming all things considered. I make 4 of their wins in the round robin to be against hapless Waterford outfits too.

A 4-3-4 record against the other 3 counties is bang average.

2 Likes

What about 2020 and 2021. Thatā€™s a very selective table.

1 Like

Round robbin format only I presume.

Aye, as I said selective.

1 Like

Itā€™s all about silverware lads.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the long and the short of it.

Itā€™s helping some of the lads make points mate

Some lads just dont get it.

This current Limerick teamā€™s record in League, Munster and All Ireland finals is 11-0. Just FYI.

1 Like

No itā€™s not

4 All Ireland finals, 4 Munster finals and 3 league finals.

Last years Munster final was a draw

Ok