Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

They all seem to be struggling at underage compared to previous anyway. This is seeping through to adult level.

Bricky rangers are a club with potential on the edge of Dungarvan. They have some excellent young players in Tom O’Connell and Peter Cummins.

I wouldn’t have seen them play but talking to my Cappoquin/Tourin friend who was fierce disappointed with their showing.

Shamrocks of Knockanore should have beaten them in the semi final.

I’ve a young lad of 9 here so since he started hurling a few years ago, I’d be quite familiar from go games and mini blitzes with the U8 to U11 scene at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out in years to come as those players evolve.

A few observations of the underage scene….

Ballygunner have huge numbers. They’d have 60-70 starting every year. By U9, that’s down to 40–50 per year group. They’d usually be spread across 3-4 teams at go games/mini blitzes. Ballygunner wouldn’t be anything to write home about below U11 level. Half of their numbers, you’d know from looking at them wouldn’t be picking up a hurl outside of the hour of training once or twice a week. The refrain I hear a lot is that it all starts knitting together for Ballygunner as a club around U13 when the weight of numbers really starts to tell.

I was at an U9 tournament in Lismore early in the summer. It was a Ballyduff Upper v Lismore final. Tallow are in with Shamrocks as Cois Bhride at underage level as well. The western teams were streets ahead in terms of skill set and development of all the city teams, even with a sprinkling of 8 and maybe even 7 year olds in their ranks.

Stradbally would probably be the strongest U11 team in the county. Nephew of the Brick an exceptional player there.

2 Likes

Good to hear they are keeping the score at u11 level.

Some serious information on the u11 scene.

Huge amount of combos in West Waterford. You’d think Tallow would have numbers by themselves but must be doing Knockanore a favour.

They always have a big night in Jack Meades on the Sunday night. They go into the two schools in Ballygunner on the Monday with the Cup and then retire to Becketts for the rest of the day/night. Back to business then on Tuesday.

Half of them will be in Portugal golfing by Wednesday.

Mostly the O’Sullivan/Mahony cabal.

Tallow had some outstanding young hurlers late 90s. Sad to see how much they have fallen.

A Crokes Kilmacud mentor told me Lismore have the best under 12 team in the country. They (crokes) went around the country hammering everyone they met until Lismore put them in their place. A freak one off group by all accounts. Hopefully they can hang onto them

Lismore and Ballyduff Upper both have terrific crops of U9’s as well. Two sons of Stephen Molumphy there exceptionally good for that age.

Functional and fit outfit without being anything spectacular. Mark O’Brien was on the winning 2013 minor team and 2016 u21 team, he was on the county senior panel up to a few years ago and is a cut above most fellas at intermediate level in Waterford.

They also have MJ Sutton who was on the 2013 minor panel as well. He was injured on Saturday but came on as a sub and scored 1-1. His grandfather John Sutton was on the Kilkenny team that bet Waterford in the 1957 all Ireland final.

They have a raft of fellas heading off to Australia in the next few weeks so unlikely they’ll make much of an impression on the Munster club and will probably struggle at senior next year.

They won the division 2 minor last week so if they can survive a year or 2 at senior until those lads start coming through they might hold their own senior then.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. They don’t hold onto everyone though.

Portumna are probably the best u11/12 team in the country after winning the community games the last two years. They are on the way back.

Ballyhale/Carrickshock parish got an awful trimming from them this year.

They won’t be making much impact senior so

There was regime change in Ballygunner this year with Conor Sheahan’s father, David taking over as Club Chairman.

I’m not entirely sure whether he has retired from the day job as an Assistant Garda Commissioner. If he’s still in there, maybe he could be in line for the top job as well if there’s regime change with Drew Harris under pressure.

1 Like

Waterford star Aussie Gleeson has confirmed he is taking a year out from inter-county hurling in 2024.

The 2016 Hurler of the Year is hoping the break will rejuvenate his appetite for the game after admitting to losing his spark in recent years.

Gleeson had been persuaded by Waterford manager Davy Fitzgerald and the team’s performance advisor Donncha O’Callaghan to stay on for the 2023 season. However, after 10 years playing senior hurling for Waterford the Mount Sion man now feels the time is right for some respite.

“I just don’t have the drive to do it, really,” the 28-year-old told the Irish Examiner. “I need a break for a while. It’s not as if I’m never going to go back or anything like that. As Davy said to me, the door is definitely open if in the next few weeks or next month or two I have a change of heart. I genuinely couldn’t speak any higher of Davy. He was 100 per cent with me about everything over the last year.

“Around this time last year, I was hemming and hawing about playing and I met Davy for the first time in Clonmel and then I met Donncha in Dungarvan and had good chats with them. I spoke to the players after that and made the decision that I was going to go back. They were all huge in me changing my mind.”

Fitzgerald has given his full support to the Mount Sion man. “I admire Aussie unreal. A lot of people don’t know him and often judge him. He’s an outstanding hurler. I’ve told him that if he feels the real buzz back at any stage, he is welcome back.”

Gleeson’s 2023 season was hampered by injury from the outset. Going into the new year, he had hamstring issues before he suffered a tear in a Division 1, Group B game against Tipperary in March.

He battled back to make substitute appearances in the following month’s Munster SHC games against Limerick and Cork. He began the defeat to Clare but was ruled out of the final round win over Tipperary with a thigh strain.

Gleeson maintains he has unfinished business with Waterford but right now doesn’t feel like he is in the best position to pursue those ambitions.

“I think the break will help in bringing the appetite.

“It might bring it back quicker than I’m thinking about at the moment but I know if I went back in later this year I just wouldn’t give the full commitment that is properly needed and that wouldn’t be fair to the players, the management or myself.

“In 12 months’ time, I could be as hungry as I was when I was 18, 19 coming into the panel. I’m hoping that’s the case, that I’m as eager and buzzing and then I can go back in and give it my all for how ever long the body allows me.”

Gleeson has spoken before about the difficulties he faced attempting to live up to his Hurler and Young Hurler of the Year winning form in 2016. In what was only his third senior season, he felt burdened by the expectation he placed on himself.

Debuting as an 18-year-old in 2014, he earned an All-Star nomination the following season, the first of three consecutive acknowledgements. His haul of awards in ’16 saw him emulate Tony Kelly’s collection three years earlier.

“The accolades were unbelievable but I don’t think it really kicked in what they meant for a number of years. I struggled with the pressure of it the year or two after it.

“This past season was my 10th – I came straight out of minor and into the seniors. I know a lot of other people have done that and played on longer but I know in my own head I just need to get this break.”

Aside from getting over to watch games in Anfield and Celtic Park, Gleeson doesn’t have much planned during his hiatus.

“I’ve a couple of weddings of club-mates next year. I’ll be training and playing away with the club. There’s no one-way flights booked anywhere. It’s just take the breather and enjoy everything that my mates are doing now. Doing things I wasn’t able to do before.”

2 Likes

Thinly veiled, “Davy wants us back training next week, and fuck that”.

I’d expect a tsunami of similar announcements across a load of Counties in the coming weeks.

1 Like

“I admire Aussie unreal.”

15 Likes

Donners must have been too busy with the Rubby this month to convince him for next year.

Good to see Aussie being a free spirit. Not enough of them left these days

1 Like

It’ll be hard for a fella with his physique to get back to elite level

1 Like

The word on the street was he was going to Oz last year. He should have went instead of wasting the last 12 months hurling half hearted with an arse on him.

He’d have gotten that out of his head and be ready for 3/4 more years but instead he won’t be back until he’s 30.