Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

We can thank the woeful season for losing one of the most entertaining players on the county season.

1 Like

He won’t be the last departure from the Waterford camp.

What’s he done that’s entertained you lately? He’s like a man out of love with the game with a long time.

Best of luck to him. I think it will better for both parties tbh. Because he was completely disinterested for Waterford the last while.

A brilliant player on his day no doubt. Too much expectation perhaps

2 Likes

Plenty of club players going pack it in too. Lads travelling home don’t have the appetite for it every single weekend in the pissing rain.

A fella that should have dominated his generation but all told a fraud, somehow made HOTY in 2016 but never lived up to the hype unfortunately, just did not have the appetite to be a one of the GOATS

2 Likes

ah now. No need for that.

12 Likes

To be fair Waterford are relying on a crew born around 1995 who’ll be 29 next year and maybe only have 3 years left at this level. That window is even shorter now that Aussie Gleeson is gone for 2024. It’s not the split seasons fault that they’ve barely won a game at underage since 2016. The current Munster Round Robin structure will make it extremely difficult for them in the next decade.

I think a series of poor managerial appointments done him in.
He needed a team built around him, not lads having him back as the third sweeper

We have the round robin to fill in the gap months created by the split season.

Round robin was the worst thing ever to happen the game of hurling.

It’s like a professional set up. Money and numbers talk.

An exceptional hurler on his day. A different system and a different county and he might have made absolute hay there for a few years. Lovely to watch in full flow.

This is the crux of it. Most gifted hurler since Joe Canning but has looked like he fell out of love with the game a good while ago and has only shown his ability in dribs and drabs in the last handful of years.

Aussie is welcome in Ratoath anytime! I take back my opinion that Seamus Callinan was robbed of the HOTY in 2016.

It’s a bit like the years of drift at Spurs under Mourinho and Conte. Waterford Hurling needs an Ange Postecoglu.

Club hurling in a woeful state in cork. Worst Kilkenny team in 20 odd years. Waterford/Wexford finished. Offaly going nowhere. Tipp relying on fellas in their mid 30s. Galway hopeless.

Clare’s best players were on their team ten years ago.

When are fellas going to wake up to it? What will have to happen?

1 Like

Davy Fitz has to share a decent amount of blame for Gleeson walking away in my opinion. No matter what level it is, management are first and foremost tasked with getting the best players on the field.

Davy has failed badly in this instance in fairness. What has Donners O’Callaghan added to their setup id love know.

1 Like

Its because of lads like Gleeson that people go to games,a phenomenal talent.

2 Likes

Hard to remember when he last really played well, to be honest. A real pity, class player on his day but those days have been ever more infrequent in recent years.

Always capable of outrageous skill but Waterford, and various managers, have never got the best out of him since 2016.

Hard to see him coming back in 2025 and tearing it up.

2 Likes

When all is said and done the asterisks next to Limericks All Irelands will be like the snowflakes in Lapland.

Aussie has a lot up on the clock in fairness. Hard to see him back if he leaves. Unless Davy fucks off of course.

4 Likes

Its a pity to be honest.

2 Likes