Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Huawei is sponsoring Walsh Park, isn’t it?

Lovely matching of logo with county colours too.

First time driving to Walsh Park for a match on Sunday. Can any of you lads advise on where to park close enough by?

I’d usually park on Cannon Street.

1 Like

Cheers boss :+1:t2::+1:t2: hopefully it’s a good game.

1 Like

Daithi Foran RIP

Great view from this new uncovered stand

1 Like

Its going to make a lovely boutique venue.

I might even make a bolt down on the first Saturday in May.

1 Like

Christ, that was some shambles.

Davy’s record league and championship since his return makes for very grim reading.

A few lads that are playing are not up to the intercounty level. And a few midfielders and defenders in the forwards. We are a very tough watch.

1 Like

Perplexing stuff in the last 10 minutes today conceding short puckouts to Wexford when chasing the game

1 Like

Waterford have gone back light years since Cahill left. The way he had them hurling for about a two year spell around 2020 is night and day versus the current reality. I mean losing to Wexford today at home, Jesus wept. It’s some job now to fuck it up so much in a short spell - you’d have to lay a lot of blame at the county boards door.

1 Like

It’s not as if what is going on now is unexpected. We’d all flagged from Day 1 what an utterly calamitous appointment Davy was. Two years just written off at the stroke of a pen. And maybe a few more besides after he’s gone too.

1 Like

Waterford thought by going back to the future it would give them some structure. Yet they knew what they were getting with Davy - a circus.

You are over analysing it. It cannot be emphasised enough, what an utter incompetent crowd the Waterford County Board are.

1 Like

You can preempt the end of season speech.

‘I know them boys are hurting. I know how much it means to them, so it does. Just great lads. And they’ll come again. They’ll have great days in a Waterford jersey. TRUST ME. They will. Just a few things didn’t go our way. Some find it easier to kick them and knock them and belittle them. But that’s fine. That’s ok, that’s the way things work now. Things were at a low ebb when I came in. We’d a lot to do. There was a fair amount of emotional baggage there. But we got ‘em working, we got ‘em believing in each other again. They’re a great team. I mean that. They’re great lads. Best team I ever trained. We’ve no regrets. They’ll be back. What happens me isn’t important, this is about them boys inside there. They’ll be knocked again after this but they’re not far off. Believe me.’

Davy speaking after the last match of the round robin.

Limerick 2-24 Waterford 0-17.

9 Likes

Back to the future to a fella that presided over a 3-30 to 1-13 All Ireland final defeat and a 7-19 to 0-19 Munster final defeat. A charlatan.

3 Likes

It was always going to be a tough year for Waterford with the spate of opt outs from the panel pre and post Christmas. Seemed the appetite and belief wasn’t there. I thought with the propsect of playing championship games in a redeveloped Walsh Park in front of your own supporters would have galvanised the hurling public below but I think Davy is about as popular as a Roderic down there now. The defeat of Tipperary in the dead rubber in Semple last year probably was a bad thing in retrospect. Davy could point at that and say it was their first meaningful result in the round robbin series but without it they would have had a new manager now and a more unified panel of players. He could also say they gave Limerick a game in round 1 with an agressive pressing game but there were no shows elsewhere and Cork picked them apart. Hard to know if they are holding anything back. Davy always targets the league no matter where he is. I’m not sure they can just turn it on in 6 weeks time.

Who actually opted out?

Austin Gleeson, Conor Gleeson… anyone else?

He got the Bennett’s back and seven from Ballygunner to commit which was good going.