Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

If Waterford were any good, they would have beaten Limerick last year. Limerick were septic in that game, 100% there for the taking; missed a penalty and down to 14.

And the thing is that they do have good players. He should have been dumped out but, even under Davy, you would be expecting them to at least make life difficult for all the other teams this year.

1 Like

Prunty and tdb hardly be at their best they’ve missed so long. Stephen Bennett is a huge loss, for frees alone. If Davy parked the nonsense convuluted tactics and let the players hurl, plenty of quality
Jamie barron, callum Lyons and Dessie are as good as anyone in the country.

Waterford under the second coming of Davy across league and championship are P14 W4 D1 L9.

The 3 league wins were against Laois, Antrim and Offaly with a draw against Dublin.

One championship win against Tipperary in what was a dead rubber with Waterford already eliminated after losing first 3 matches in the round robin.

Sure Liam Cahill did a lot damage there so he did. Davy is doing a great salvage job.

2 Likes

11 scores in 70 plus minutes.

He just refuses to look at the evidence in front of his eyes.

All set up for a game day 1 blunderbuss effort in the round robin.

These guys are giving me 110 % so they are. Wait till ye see us in the championship.

According to my sources on the ground, it was real RIP Hurling stuff played in horrendous conditions.

They’re off to Portugal now for the week so they’ll either get rid of Davy over there, or they’ll really bond as a unit.

In any case they’ll beat Cork first day out in Munster.

1 Like

Fuck it-I think they could be down for a while; the lads they have you’d really fear have been hobbled or are gone. You’d need Dessie or the other Ballygunner corner forward kid to really take it on and every bit of them. I’ve a small bit of sympathy for Davy. Likes of Barron with that style surely slowing down.

Sympathy for Davy?? Christ above. He’s an absolute blight and should never have given been the gig. It’s all about him. We have some decent players but instead of playing to our strengths he’s trying to make players fit into his ludicrous system.
I’ve been going to Waterford games for over 40 years at this stage and I’ve never seen the landscape so bleak, and that incudes the one championship game a year days of the 80’s. Ok maybe the year Mayo beat us!
There is zero optimism amongst supporters for the championship. I’ll still of course go to the games and support my county, but it’s tough going now.
Who knows, I may be completely wrong and Davy is a genius. One can only hope.

2 Likes

If he just went Ozzy up top with Dessie and Fitz, people would forgive him as they’d realise its a team in transition. He’d have the job for years.

If Davy Fitz and Micheál Donoghue did a job swap both Waterford and Dublin would benefit. Each has what the other needs and each is unsuited to their current position.

Waterford need a facilitator, Dublin need a totalitarian drill sergeant.

2 Likes

Exactly…play Ozzy full forward or wing back; get him as fit as you can. stfu, see what he does. Its not actually a hard job. The other lads will buy in as he is basically 85% of Joe Canning.

The DNA of Waterford hurling is exuberance. You have to play to your DNA. Waterford hurling has been trapped in a cycle of mental misery since winning that League in 2022. It should have been a springboard, instead it was an end.

1 Like

The hurling they played against Galway on a sunny Saturday afternoon in July 2021 was as enjoyable as you’d see.

I don’t think Davy’s heart is really in it anymore. Clare broke him and Wexford was the last sting in a dying wasp.

Wexford’s defeat to Tipp in 2019 broke Davy. Davy did a good job with Wexford for three years and was exactly what they needed for those three years, as former poster @Sidney astutely predicted.

They had one chance. July 28th, 2019 was midnight at the party you’ve been waiting a lifetime for and the girl you want is making eyes. They had to take that chance and they didn’t, and that was it, and that was it for Davy. 2020 and 2021 was waking up at 11am the next morning and there’s about seven people left straggling around mostly cleaning up cans and you’re looking around despondently for the girl but you know she’s long gone. Davy’s only remaining role in hurling coaching is to shock a mentally dead and soulless team into life. That’s what Dublin are.

1 Like

Wexford were great but everybody forgets Tipp were down to 14 and still gassed.

I’d say Wexford’s gassing that day was more mental than physical. They saw the line and reached for it but it was still a considerable distance away. They got Greg Norman/Jana Novotna syndrome.

1 Like

Tis a funny one, Tipp had a lot of names and wrists and used the same trick in the final. If you match that TIpp and Wexford team, tomorrow, I’d have my life on Tipp. Limerick accentuated what they couldn’t do, they were still good.

Davy broke Clare more like

Dublin needs Davy and Davy needs Dublin. Only he can save them. Only they can save him.