Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Davy doesn’t even believe in Davy anymore. Dublin need to try the novel approach of getting some Dublin people to train the team.

Tommy Naughton was the last one?

Yeah. Did a good job too.

Didn’t McGuirk do a lot of good work with most of the current panel at underage levels?

1 Like

Anychance of Waterford actually backing one of their own to manage their senior side after the inevitable wooden spoon effor in the Munster round robin ?

He did. He is with Dublin u16s at the moment. A great Dublin Hurling man.

2 Likes

Did his teams have strong northside club representation or am I mixing him up with someone else ?

Waterford needs Derek. He’s one of their own and Derek gets Waterford.

Here’s his team that lost to a last gasp free down in Wexford Park in 2007 - very much progress for us at that point. Craobh and O’Tooles had won the previous 5 senior championships between them (discounting UCD interlopers) and Boden would win the first of their 5-in-a-row later that year. Bulk of the team came from those 3 clubs, with others from Vinnies, Na Fianna, Marks (I think Kelly hadn’t gone to Faughs at that stage), Crokes, Lucan. Stewie Mullen from Plunketts came on as a sub as did Declan O’Dwyer from Olafs.

I think it was a case of Tommy picking players who were good at the time rather than having a particular geographical bias. The powerbase in Dublin shifted from 2007 on. Craobh had won SHC in 2006 and thereafter the next 17 championships were shared between the big three southside clubs until Na Fianna’s win last year.

G Maguire; P Brennan (capt), S Hiney, T Brady; M Carton, R Fallon (0-01, 1f), D O’Reilly; J Boland, D Qualter; L Ryan, R O’Carroll (1-01), D Curtin (0-04, 3f); J Kelly (1-02), P O’Driscoll, K Flynn (1-00).

4 Likes

They’re bad enough already

:thinking:

How about Pat Gilroy?

Dublin needs Davy. It just doesn’t know it needs Davy

Dublin needs a messiah figure like Davy but would need a few Dublin heads in the backroom team like what Daly had with Hedgo.

Dalo and Hedgo along with the Richie Stakelum was a great management dynamic.

These lads like Kenny and Donohue bringing half East Galway with them doesn’t work.

The optimum Dublin management team would probably be Liam Sheedy along with Paul O’Brien from Crumlin and few more lads who have deep roots and knowledge on the ground. Maybe get Paudie O’Neill in too.

2 Likes

I thought u were asking about johnny mcguirk!

1 Like

I thought Tommy Naughton though steeped in Dublin hurling is actually native Wicklow?

Tommy did a good job alight steading the ship before Daly took over

I’m not sure. @Fagan_ODowd would know I’d say

Born in Arklow. Actually played underage with Arklow Rocks Parnells before coming to Dublin.

3 Likes

Picked up a copy of this, this afternoon. A very good publication.

1 Like

Waterford won’t be far off Kerry’s level shortly the way they are going underage.

1 Like