Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Waterford just donā€™t have the numbers of the other counties. They have the least proper hurling clubs along with Clare but seem to lack the organisation at underage, especially in the schools and clubs. If you look at their schools, DLS is the only Harty school they have and it caters for the whole city. They are underachieving given their pick.

I know they got rid of it because they won too much but thereā€™s definitely a case for bringing back the Dungarvan schools combo.

Lismore got to the all Ireland B final but there was 22 teams in the Harty this year so it still shows theyā€™ve fallen compared to where they were 10-15 years ago when they were regularly reaching Harty knockout stages.

Surprised your man Tobin didnā€™t start, he always looks likely to cause problems close to goal.

Book Centre? That picture is taken at the door of the Mount Sion monastery where many subsequent iconic photos of Mount Sion were taken.

Presume they have it in the Book Centre. I had a copy ordered from the launch on Wednesday night which was delivered to me yesterday evening.

1 Like

Surprised that they are only 8 years older than Mount Sion.

Waterford should maybe concentrate on the football instead of the hurling.

3 Likes

Well done waterford footballers. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll celebrate that one.
But whatā€™s gone wrong with tipp football?

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1777003407557132291?s=46&t=naJekC2sVA0B68lxi_xLWA

The lads in OTB do some great work at lower level GAA.

5 Likes

Great interview.

ā€œSmall pricksā€ = Davy surely :rofl:

3 Likes

Iā€™d rather live in a sport reporting world with them than without them

Picked up a copy in the Book Centre yesterday. Read a good bit of it so far (Iā€™m up to the 1940s). Good piece of work and the details on the various rows with the county board tally with other accounts. Doesnā€™t pull any punches on EO being in the wrong where necessary.

Itā€™s a Liam Hayes, Hero Book publication.

1 Like

Liam text me there last week, to see if my club would work with him on doing a club historyā€¦ The only problem is, weā€™ve only been going since 57 and weā€™ve never been senior, mostly junior, then intermediate the last 10 years or that. Heā€™s a hard worker Iā€™d say, but jesus, wouldnā€™t know to go ahead with it or not.

1 Like

I was at that match. Was played in Nowlan Park and not Wexford Park. Barry Lambert with a last minute free to settle it. A much more enjoyable game than the 2008 meeting between the sides at the same venue.

1 Like

Shaun Oā€™Brien

Mark Fitzgerald
Conor Prunty
Iralaith Daly

Kieren Bennet
TdB
Darragh Lyons

Jamie Barron
Neil Montgomery

Calum Lyons
Kevin Mahony
Stephen Bennet

Dessie Hutchinson
Michael Kiely
Jack Prendergast

1 Like

Advantage Waterford

1 Like

You are, of course, right - and I at it as well :roll_eyes:

I was also at the draw down there and the Croker replay in 2008ā€¦shocking amount of wides by us in drawn game and failed to beat a 14 man Wexford who didnā€™t score for the last 15 minutes or so in second game.

Yous should bet us handily on Sunday - our perverse ability to get a result in this fixture where weā€™ve gone into games without any form is our only straw to clutch.

1 Like

Waterford have the full bag of hurleys for this one.

While Cork have some lovely hurlers coming and will get results this is a game they wont relish.

Thatā€™s a nice team

2 Likes

Iā€™m not gone on Calum Lyons as a wing-forward; unless the plan is for him to drop back to midfield to create the sweeper?

Is TdB the sweeper?

Definitely talent in that team, Jack Fagan possibly unlucky to lose out?