Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

You are assuming there is only one sweeper

1 Like

Thank god they have an incompetent in charge or we might actually lose.

I think Calum will be in midfield and creating runs from deep. TdB usually sits deep and will try and close of space in front of Prunty who had no pace the last time I saw him play. Maybe he was injured or injury has stripped him of any pace he had. His hurling from general play was way off too.
Lots of lads that have missed extended time being brought back in so I hope they are all fit. Seems to be be a big of depth on the bench. Shane Bennett not even making the matchday panel these days.
Spoke to a few today who do not expect that team to start.

It’s kinda sad what has happened to Shane Bennett; another player who never really found a position which suited him at senior level.

Yet he was on the frees at times during the league?

Waterford must be seriously fancying their chances. Lots of talk of an unhappy camp in Waterford, same scenario with Cork.

Yeah it just never happened consistently for him.
He played in the AI final under Derek McGrath, he played the loan forward role and used to run himself into the ground chasing lost causes. I’d say that took some of the love for the game out of him. He missed a couple of recent season travelling. In 2021 he played centre back after another injury crises. He played well up to the semi final. But in that game v Limerick he was cleaned and was taken off. Hasn’t been the same since. Yeah, he took a few frees in a recent league game.

Derek McGrath made his bow with Doon last night in a routine county league win over Murroe/Boher.

Poor fuckers.

He might just be the plamaser they need

Surely leavy and Fagan will start instead of Montgomery and darragh Lyons. Leavy was your best player in league.
Cork players would have got a bit of a reality check when they looked at their phones last night and seen the quality in that team.

Unless both are carrying knocks. I am surprised that Leavey didn’t get in. Fagan missed a bit of time during the league as he was travelling. But he is usually a fit lad and had plenty of time to get back up to the fitness levels required. I suppose Davy might need something in reserve.
I dont see it with Darragh Lyons at all. Very willing, very game and always puts in a shift. But he hasn’t the size for intercounty and seems to have a few what the fuck moments in every game where he could gift possession to the opponent. I hope he plays lights out Sunday as he and we will need too.

That’s as strong a team we could put out, plus a bit of depth on the bench if we need it.
Unlikely though we’ll lineout like this. Jack Fagan will most likely start.
You’d be a bit nervous about the lads who haven’t seen much game time, but at this stage you’ve just got to trust in the management :grimacing:
Looking like it’ll be a sellout, albeit we’re likely to be outnumbered. Should be a good atmosphere. Get a good start, get the supporters involved, something that has been distinctly lacking in our home games this year, and who knows.
Fingers crossed.

Shane Bennett got a heavy knock in training the other night, I believe.

That was refreshingly honest punditry from John McIntyre on the Last Word there. He wasn’t sparing it.

2 Likes

I heard that. Twas gas.

Meanwhile Shane McGrath was over on 2FM saying Peter Casey would be togging off for Limerick if it was knockout :grinning:

A grand 10 minute cross channel hurling cameo as i went to the shop for ham and brown bread.

Is there bad blood between McIntyre and Davy? He wasn’t sparing it.

I don’t know but Davy finished him with Galway in Davy’s first reign with Waterford.

They’re all out to get Davy generally

A Waterford win Sunday could lead to one of the greatest Golden Cleric esque GAA interviews of all time from Davy.

I’d love it to happen.

2 Likes

Ye’re not playing til next week. Have you enough tinfoil at home?

Won’t derail the thread too much but I dunno about that. Those lunatics in the demilitarised zone over there on the border will have very little time for Derek’s psycho babble if things start going against them.