Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

That was a very tame Waterford championship exit in what was a do or die knockout match. They had the look of a beaten from the first whistle and even before that in the warm up who were weighed down by the two chances to secure advancement that they had blown against Tipperary and Clare and werenā€™t expecting a third chance.

Who was the Waterford number 3?

He totally gave up on a few balls.

Proper gave up.

Iarlaith Daly, I think was wearing Number 3 jersey. I may be wrong on that though.

Some or all of Tadhg de Burca, Jamie Barron and Stephen Bennett possibly played their last game for Waterford yesterday.

Dessie has shown very little at inter-county level for a long time now. Granted shifts out around midfield and half back line havenā€™t helped, but I wonder has he been found out a bit too at that level.

2 Likes

What in the absolute fuck was davy doing with barron on hayes, and then taking him off? Barron had some lovely moments, heā€™d hurl in a phonebox, but couldnā€™t get involved enough. We get the idea, it didnā€™t work, move him. Davy should never get another intercounty job for that alone.

@Fagan_ODowd - have you seen this young Mount Sion prodigy, Jack Walsh? Saw him in an U14 match the other night. Heā€™s exceptional.

No I havenā€™t. I must ask around about him.

There was a very strong crop of first years in De La Salle, year just gone. Jack Walsh from Mount Sion, Nathan Power from De La Salle and 4-5 from Ballygunnner, Michael Moloney (son of Andy) probably the most prominent of the Ballygunner crew. They wiped all before them seemingly in their schools age group this year. De La Salle have done nothing at schools level really since the back to back All Ireland wins in 2007 and 2008. Derek hasnā€™t been really involved either for a good few years now, but I believe heā€™s back now spearheading this particular crop.

2 Likes

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Derek has been involved.

Ballygunner won an U14 County Final the other night beating Lismore 10-21 to 1-03 or something ridiculous.

Did someone here say at one stage that Kilmacud Crokes thought Lismore had a serious crop coming? The best in Ireland at a particular age group?

A lot of those same Ballygunner players will be playing in the Feile tomorrow so interesting to see how good they really are.

Spilt season has under 14 hurling ruined even.

Ballygunner 8-16 Lismore 1-3 it how it finished up in the U14 Division 1 county final last Monday night.

Ballygunner U15ā€™s were pushed hard in the Feile qualification competition. They beat Na Risigh (Mount Sion with 2-3 from St Saviours) in the final by 1 point, beat Abbeyside by 3 points in semi final. In the group stages before that they beat Na Risigh by just 1 point as well and De La Salle by 2.

1 Like

This younger crop from Ballygunner must be sensational altogether.

Semple Stadium run blitzes for U11ā€™s during the summer where 4 clubs get randomly invited from across Munster in each day for a two month period. All the teams get a guided tour of the wonderful modern facilities and an Inter County Player like Ronan Maher might say a few words to the young lads. They all go to Supermacs afterwards and have a great day.

Anyway in the summer of 2022, my own club whoā€™d be tight enough on numbers were randomly drawn on the same day with Ballygunner. Well the fuckers put hurling out of our lads heads for about two months after it.

1 Like

Ballygunner have a few very strong crops from about U12 right through to U15. Theyā€™ve had various teams going up to Kilkenny and winning well against the 3 city teams in Kilkenny.

Ballygunner U12ā€™s won the John Prendergast Memorial Tournament tournament in Thomastown on the June bank holiday weekend. There were teams in that from Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Waterford and Tipperary.

Itā€™s an incredible operation the Oā€™Sullivan/Mahony family are running down there.

Pauric Mahony has been involved with the minor team last year or two. Very highly spoken of as a coach as is Philip.

1 Like

Philip is a future Waterford Senior Manager.

Good soccer coach too by all accounts and steered DLS to a Senior schools soccer All Ireland Final a couple of years back but his rudimentary 4-4-2 formation was found out by some Dublin school in the final.

Ballygunner beaten by 1 point by Oranmore in the Feile semi final.

Midleton Oranmore final I believe.

Oranmore won it out.