Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Quarter Finals
Mount Sion v Ferrybank
Abbeyside v Dungarvan
Roanmore v Passage
Ballygunner v De La Salle

https://twitter.com/waterfordgaa/status/1822351602453258274?s=46&t=mqzTzgmAsmn_yRTvOWvmPg

Two dingers of derbies in the relegation

Ferrybank beat Clonea by 2 points.

Clonea lost to Ferrybank from 9 points up early in second half.

It’s a very urban look to the quarter finals. 5 city teams and 2 from the Dungarvan conurbation. Passage are only out the road from the city too and would have a decent enough pick. Rural clubs struggling. Tallow we’re annihilated I’m their two games and favourites to be relegated.

Kilkenny teams are divils. They’re never beaten.

2 Likes

You called that right! I thought Clonea were better

:rofl::rofl:

Something to add to your reading list @Fagan_ODowd. Should be a good read. Brian Kelly who did the Erins Own history is the author.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this.

On a slightly related note, I came across this only recently, not sure how it evaded me for so long.

https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/oral-history/austin-flynn

Well worth a few hours of your time!

2 Likes

Cnoc Sion 0-21
Ferrybank 0-15

I wasn’t at it but I’m told Ferrybank played with 2 sweepers. There were 4 red cards, 3 for mentors (two for Ferrybank including manager Paddy Mullaly, 1 Mount Sion) and one Ferrybank player. 9 points for Austin Gleeson.

2 Likes

Lismore 0-22 Tallow 0-10

Tallow into another relegation final, this time they play the losers of FMW and Clonae.
That game is this evening as a curtain raiser for the Dungarvan/Abbeyside quarter final.

1 Like

Fourmile 2-18 Clonea 2-16.
Tallow v Clonea in the relegation decider.

Abbeyside 2-19
Dungarvan 0-15.

I went into it.
It rained heavy just before the game and it meant plenty of poor striking and slipping but the overall standard was poor.
The scoreboard was very harsh on Dungarvan. Abbeyside hit 1-2 in extra time, it was a fairly 50/50 overall but Dungarvan killed themselves on their short puckout giving away about 1-5. They had a lad in goal who wasn’t even Junior B standard. Their backs were game but didn’t have the skills to play Eoin Cadogan ball. Darragh lyons looked very rusty. Patrick Curran and Mikey Kiely (dungarvan version) were good but missed chances also.

Abbeyside were only so and so but have some good players in Willie Beresford, Prunty and Young Charlie Treen. Mikey Kiely was decent without ever catching fire.

They are very athletic but they look like a middle class softy team. Neil Montgomery is a big loss for them. I couldn’t see them beating anyone else.

It got very dark in the second half, Paddy Joe ryan only turned on the lights for the last 5 mins.

FOTF Buff Egan was in attendance.

A grand evening in fraher field but a very tame affair.

I saw the first game on Clubber. FMW were the better team but hit 15 wides, they stole it at the end. Clonae will hammer Tallow regardless.

5 Likes

Shaun O’Brien beaten by Kevin Mahony from 22m+ out. Slightly unsighted and it was low but I think he’ll be disappointed with that. Maybe caught unawares that he went for goal.

DLS really had BG rattled, they were giving away stupid frees, Leavy on a final warning.

Kevin Moran on for De La Salle now.

Awful decision-making from Jake Dillon leads to a Patrick Fitzgerald score from midfield. Expect better from a player of his experience.

Shane O’Sullivan sent off for an off-the-ball incident with Kevin Moran.

Moran was outraged originally, O’Sullivan pointing the finger at the linesman as he goes off.

4 in it it, 11 to go. Do DLS have the nous?

This is on for DLS.

2 in it, 5 to go…

1 Like

Ballygunner have sent for The Ruddler.