Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

could the board designate Dunmore East for Passage only? just to balance up demographics a bit. Ballygunner hardly need it to keep thriving

No. We don’t have a parish rule.

1 Like

there goes that idea

is it possible that the Gaultier footballers could be from a few hurling clubs then?

Gaultier are the lads in Passage and Ballygunner who play football.

1 Like

Historically though Dunmore East would have gravitated to Passage a lot more than Ballygunner. The Fitzgeralds and Hutchinsons are Dunmore East. The Hutchinson’s moved from Passage to Ballygunner about 20 years ago.

I believe at underage level it would probably still break more to Passage than Ballygunner from Dunmore but Ballygunner are making more inroads all the time. The best current U11 hurler I’ve seen in the county lives in Dunmore East and hurls with Passage.

on a side note I stayed in Mrs Hutchinsons B & B in Dunmore when I was doing there

1 Like

SOKI and the brother Billy are Dunmore as well. The father drinks in the Haven.

1 Like

SOKI, the Hutchies and the Fitzgeralds - that a fair few

Has there even been attempts to use a parish rule in Waterford?

I know your own club would have benefited from the lack of one down through the years!

Add in the Mahony/Suklivans and you’ve more or less the team. The Mahonys live in Woodstown.

Don’t think so. Would be impossible to apply in the city with the school teams

Ballygunner’s loyalty to the old guard will cost them All Ireland club. Serious lack of pace at the back.

Isn’t the Sullivan homestead Blenheim? The Hartleys are out that way too. That’s moving out towards Passage territory as well.

Fergal Hartley’s sister is married to Rory O’Sullivan. Their young fellow is a serious prospect. Currently U14.

In Killarney/Tralee in Kerry you can play with who you want. Would that not be a simple solution but alas that’s not the case.

yep in Tralee\Killarney you can play for whoever you want in the town

In Tralee, though no formal rule, there was a bit of shape to it though and still is - the rock street side of the town played with Stacks, Boherbue side John Mitchels, Strand Road side KerinsO’Rahillys, when Oakpark expanded out in the 1980s that became the territory for the newly formed club Na Gaeil

In Killarney, no real order to it, one house could be Crokes and the one next door Legion, Spa is kind of Rural\Urban so geography kind of kicks in there a bit

1 Like

Fergals young lad Jake was very good for Waterford minors this year, underage next year also.

Didn’t mitchels move base recently and have lost a small bit recently but could benefit in the coming years as the town expands outwards?

We had their u10s out for a tournament today, very impressive outfit. Plenty of big strong lads who were well able to hurl.

Their pitch and clubhouse was next to Austin Stack Park in the middle of the town

sold if off and moved out a bit, the population in the side of the town where they picked from was ancient and some of the residential there was heading to commercial anyway. The town is growing out towards their new grounds, he grounds probably a little bit too far out though

The Mitchels were some powerhouse in the 1960s - won 5 in a row , no senior title since and a bad intermediate team now

think they have decent numbers under age again

1 Like

Kilkenny City is fairly clearly defined by geography between the three city clubs.