Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Kilcormac will be it in Offaly Id say

The winter pitches will help them.

Just looking at the Passage line up there today, it’s a fairly youngish looking team.

Did the centre back Culnihane play for Waterford at any level? Decent player.

Gary did alright. Think it was one of the Cullinane’s who got the straight red for Passage today. Not sure, which one.

From an outsider looking in - its absolutely crazy that Waterford don’t apply parish rule.

It’s to the determinant of the game - the big clubs will only get bigger and the small clubs only get smaller.

Reading this thread of lads from Dunmore East playing for Ballygunner and other lads playing with Passage - just seems madness to an outsider like myself.

I know too well that the parish rule can be ignored by people on the fringe of parishes but at least it gives some structure and helps prevent cherry picking of talent.

2 Likes

A parish rule would have Dunmore East playing for Passage.

A parish rule in the city though would still be very skewed towards Ballygunner. They have pretty much all the southern flank of the city to themselves. That would largely take in the parish of St Joseph & St Benildus & St Mary’s.

Mount Sion, Roanmore and De La Salle are all on toop of each other really and Erins Own not too far away. Ideally what it really needs is Erins Own to be feeding into Ballygunner territory and De La Salle making further advances back from the school.

who has this arisen? Is Kilcormac as big a town as Birr or Banagher?

Yes, Ballygunner parish is massive. It runs from the People’s Park in the city to the borders of Tramore, Passage and Dunmore. Bringing in a parish rule in Waterford wouldn’t do down Ballygunner, arguably it would copperfasten their dominance.

“ Our parish is the largest parish in the Diocese of Waterford & Lismore. The Central Statistics Office, records 13,751 Roman Catholics in our Parish”

That’s over 1 in 10 of the population of the county. And that’s just the Roman Catholics.

1 Like

Old Pat Sullivan lived in a house that was two houses the cityside of Orpens (now the River Cottage) very much classic Ballygunner. The Hartleys lived probably a mile, mile and a half further out.

That is correct. It is within the parish of Killea, Crooke and Faithlegg.

Tallow eventually go down to intermediate after 50 years hurling senior in Waterford.

Won the intermediate in 1974.

Probably the longest standing senior team in West Waterford. Lismore went down for a year not so long ago. @Fagan_ODowd would know for sure, I presume Mt Sion have been Senior for much longer.

They fought hard year on year to stay up but it might be a relief for the club not to get 20 point drubbings next year.

Mount Sion are senior since 1934. We had a clusterfuck around 2010 when Liam Fennelly was manager and ended up in a relegation play off against Ardmore. One of the Ardmore fellas had a wedding the day before and they turned up with a collection of sore heads and we got out of dodge. I don’t think Ardmore have been back up since.

1 Like

An absolutely Baltic day in the Fraher field. Ardmore goal a penalty that day and it was the worst penalty I have seen hit. I’d say it bounced about a foot in front of the penalty taker.

1 Like

Kilcormac village is fairly small. Parish is massive. Biggest in Leinster seemingly. Fairly rural though.

Very well run club. Hurling focus. Other hurling areas in rural decline. Bigger towns are mainly football focused. Very talented bunch coming through together. Before them, they’ve arguably underachieved.

General standard of Offaly senior hurling is poor enough.

3 Likes

biggest in Leinster!

Bad weekend for Ballygunner so far.

Roanmore beat Ballugunner last night in Eastern Junior Final by 1 point.

Brickey Rangers after beating Ballygunner by 1 point in Premier Intermediate semi final this afternoon. Clashmore beat Ballysaggart by 6 in the other.

1 Like

Waterford u16s won the Michael Foley tournament in Ferns today.

3 Likes

Abbeyside look to have the first of the semis sewn up against Mount Sion with just a few minutes to go. Third goal and a quick point to go 3-18 to 019 ahead.

Michael Kiely with first two goals either half gave them a platform. Conor Prunty picked up Austin for most of the game and nullified him.

Give the cup to Ballygunner now. Traditional final or nothing will stop them