Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Two softish Ballygunner frees just before half time to edge their lead out to 0-9 to 0-5.

Desperate match. Passage will have a bit of a breeze behind them second half, but they donā€™t look to have the forwards or the belief to capitalise. Ballygunner do have the demeanour of a side that are slipping. Iā€™d be amazed if today is the day they are caught though.

Ballygunner upped it a bit second half and run out 0-22 to 0-13 winners. Not far off challenge match tempo.

Good day out. Had a few in Mount Sion beforehand. @Fagan_ODowd . Lovely people and wished us well after.
Just having the one, then homešŸ˜¬

5 Likes

To be fair all the Waterford teams do at least try to front up physically and timber into Ballygunner as best they can. Passage must have had 4x yellow cards picked up after 20 minutes and there was an incident that looked nasty enough on Pauric Mahony before half time.

In Munster too many teams are beaten before a ball is thrown in and just stand back admiring them.

The final is in Dungarvan which will be a help to Abbeyside but Ballygunner will up it another level and still win pulling up.

I think Abbeyside will ask questions of Ballygunner. Itā€™s a pity they are missing Seanie Callaghan and Montyā€™s fitness issues. Think they have a few fellows in Australia too, a Looby and a McGrath that would be starters if they were about. @Bugsy_Malone would be more specific with personnel there.

They have three serious bullets to fire in Prunty, Montgomery and Kiely alright but i canā€™t see them pulling off a shock.

Brian Looby is there this year. Sticky corner back. Might be his brother away.

Billy Oā€™Connell is a very good hurler as well. Only 18. Think it was 0-5 he scored from play today.

Charlie Treen is a player I like. Was excellent in the quarter final I attended.

Should draw a decent crowd in fraher field.

One thing Abbeyside have compared to many other sides is they can match Ballygunnar athletically.

Why is the WSHC being played off so quickly? To allow for football?

Yes.

That model is nuts. Wexford abandoned it. No club hurling in Waterford now for 5 months or that beyond champions in Munster. Hardly gives younger fellas much chance to improve much with a view to staking a claim.

How is Dan Shanahan able to play junior b and senior for Lismore in the same season?

Or did he just play in the relegation play off for the seniors? Which I believe doesnā€™t affect eligibility/grading.

https://twitter.com/ourgamehq/status/1827797542005796961?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

Dan just played Senior in the relegation play off against Tallow.

The whole thing is very convoluted really. Ballygunner lost to Brickey Rangers by 1 point in Premier Intermediate semi final yesterday. A few of their main guns on that team like Conor Tobin seemingly didnā€™t feature. Conor Tobin came on in the second half today for the seniors.

You can make two appearances without losing your status is the rule I think. Itā€™s designed to help out smaller clubs who struggle with numbers but ballygunnar benefited from it.

In dans case, relegation doesnā€™t effect your status in Waterford (or Tipp or most counties).

Bricky rangers v Clashmore in the premier intermediate final should be a good game.

Correct. Or suspensions fyi

What age is Dan now? Must be 46/47? He could still play for Waterford.

47, 1st played adult hurling in 1993.

1 Like

Yeh, Tom Looby, Daragh McGrath and John Elstead are away. All 3 would be massive additions and allied to the injuries to Monty and Seanie O Callaghan weā€™re certainly not playing with a full deck.
Happy where weā€™re at though. Played 4 championship games this year and won all by 10+ points.

Obviously a massive ask next weekend against one of the best teams in the country, but weā€™re there with a shot.
All empireā€™s crumble eventually!
Dun Na Mainistreach abu.

5 Likes

That Abbeyside forward line can cause a lot of problems for a creaking and ageing Ballygunner defence. I thought Harney did well for Ballygunner yesterday coming in for the suspended Shane Oā€™Sullivan. Interesting managerial conundrum for Darragh Oā€™Sullivan now, whether to recall his near 40 year old brother.

1 Like
  • Ballygunner: 1/6
  • Draw: 12/1
  • Abbeyside: 9/2