Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Cahill to resign before April is my prediction and Derek to be brought back in on the cusp of championship

Shefflin?

I am going on record on the INTERNET and calling this a bad move for Cahill

1 Like

Agreed. He has little to gain from staying on with Tipp u20s but heā€™d be better off managing someone at club level Iā€™d say and waiting it out

Explain

Iā€™m not sure he can do anything in Waterford to enhance his reputation. Like @the_man_himself, I think he would be better served waiting it before assuming his position as natural successor to Liam Sheedy.

Waterford appears to have deep issues at the moment and, on the evidence of the past few years, are well off the pace. Iā€™m not sure Cahill can do much with them at present.

However, I put it out there on the INTERNET so that if Iā€™m wrong I can be called on it at a later date

He wonā€™t put up with any egos anyway, thatā€™s for sure.

Best of luck to him in the role. Hope he does well, but not too well.

1 Like

As exclusively revealed this afternoon.

Heā€™ll look impressive wearing a cloak on the sideline

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s very little between the top 5/6 sides and Cahill will weed out any egos quite early. I think players know they are in the last chance saloon also and this would have been a ā€˜player ratifiedā€™ appointment I suspect, no excuses for them anymore

This is a good appointment for Waterford. Cahill is a very astute guy and is in a no-lose situation, in effect, given Waterfordā€™s abysmal championship performances over the last 2 years.

Off the top of my head, I believe their opening Munster Championship fixture will be against his native Tipperary in Walsh Park.

2 Likes

Full circle for Cahill. Think he made his Championship debut as an 18 year old against Waterford at Walsh Park in 1996. Waterford also had an 18 year old Championship debutant in their ranks that day.

Ken was still a minor though ?

Correct.

Seems the type of no nonsense character Waterford need at the moment. Being an outsider is an added bonus, no ties to anyone within the county - good or bad. Goes in with a clean slate and can call it as he sees it.

They still have enough good players to have a shot of getting out of Munster next year.

Theyā€™ve been a shambles in 2018 and 2019 so the only way is up.

3 Likes

Itā€™s the best appointment Waterford could have had really

How do you broach the past couple of years when going in as a new manager? Do you tear strips off them and tell them a few home truths? Do you plaumause them and tell them forget about the past itā€™s a clean slate etc?

Heā€™s also bringing an absolutely excellent coach in Mikey Bevans with him

3 Likes