Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

A bit of both id imagine

Thought all the talk was around Shefflin?

For Wexford when Davy goes to Galway

Jaysus I’m all confused

Cahill seems like a far better appointment. Has plenty of experience and served his time in plenty of different setups. I’d be surprised if this doesnt work out well for them, whereas Shefflin would have been a gamble.

Waterford have really slipped behind in S& C . They have a lot to do on that score .

First thing he has to do is put Gleeson centre back - now De Burca is injured - and say “that’s your position for the year and I’m building the team around you.”

All good managers use the carrot and stick approach. Praise when deserved but throw in the odd hand grenade every now and then to remind them of the hammerings and humiliations.

1 Like

I get the impression from Cahill that he would utilise heavy lashings of the former and little enough of the latter.

Could be an excellent appointment. Be interesting to see how the “characters” who liked Dez McGrath’s molly-coddle approach take it.

Any talk of who will be his selectors?

Don’t think Waterford have the players whoever is in charge.

They’ll have to like it or piss off id imagine, last chance saloon for a lot of them

If there is anything in them at all he’ll get it out of them.

1 Like

Cahill is the best up and coming manager in the country, great appointment, if the players don’t respond under him then they won’t under anyone

Cahill doesn’t strike me as a lad who’d indulge all that Derek-esque pally mindfulness stuff.

Work hard or you’re out. Like it or lump it.

6 Likes

The players aren’t there in Waterford. They’ve no ball winners.

Liam is a good manager, the vital cog here is Bevans.

That wont wash in Waterford

And make his head even bigger? The guy needs to learn to be a team player and work his arse off for the players around him. His own clubmates wanted him to be moved full forward because he wouldn’t pass the ball to any of them anyway in any position further back the field.

Great appointment imho. Will work well.

had he any half decent players to pass to?