Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/06/12/hurlers-miss-out-on-otb-ams-sporting-mount-rushmore/

Over the past couple of months Newstalk’s Off The Ball AM show has been asking pundits from the counties of Ireland to come on and pick that county’s sporting Mount Rushmore, i.e. that county’s four greatest sports people.

For example the Cork four were: Christy Ring, Roy Keane, Sonia O’Sullivan and Ronan O’Gara.

It was Waterford’s turn as the 21st county into the breach today (Friday) and it was Ardmore man Oisin Langan who had to pick his four with Dunmore East’s Jessie Barr given the opportunity to make one final change to his selections.

I think it’s pretty sure to say that the fact that there was no hurler included in the final four will raise more than a few eyebrows. Oisin had Ken McGrath in his four but Jessie Barr removed the Mount Sion man at the death and replaced him with her brother, Thomas of athletics fame.

Here’s how it went……

SOCCER – JOHN O’SHEA

There were no arguments whatsover over the former Manchester United man’s inclusion. A stellar Premier League career, and we all remember that late goal in Gelsenkirchen for the Republic of Ireland.

Oisin says he is without question the number one on the list. “[One of] Ireland’s most successful Premier League footballers, five-time Premier League winner, a Champions League winner, he nutmegged Luis Figo…”

ATHLETICS – JOHN TREACY
Jessie Barr says Treacy’s achievements speak for themselves.

“I don’t think there’s any arguing against this – two world championships in cross-country… silver medal in the 1984 Olympics in the marathon in Los Angeles.

“A silver medal in the Olympics pretty much makes you a guarantee to be on any Mount Rushmore.”

RUGBY – NIAMH BRIGGS
Captained Ireland to a Six Nations championship in 2013, and was heavily involved in the historic first Grand Slam of 2013. Briggs has also represented Waterford in gaelic football, and Oisin says she fully deserves her place.

“A world player of the year nominee… twice Six Nations winner, should have had more Ireland caps, and has a massive influence around the county.

“I think I was in sixth year when Niamh was in first year, and there was just this buzz about this kid in first year who could do everything!

“Even outside of rugby Niamh is a fantastic gaelic footballer.”

ATHLETICS – THOMAS BARR
Jessie made a big call in removing Oisin’s hurling representative – Ken McGrath. But she argued her brother’s inclusion was something she had to run with.

“This will come as a surprise to no one. I would challenge anyone who has a sibling in their family who just missed out on an Olympic sprint medal in one of the most competitive events in the Olympic calendar…

“…I would challenge anyone to not put them on the list and be able to sit with them at Christmas dinner! I’m not just saying that because of the blood ties – even if I wasn’t related to him I would still be arguing for him.”

Jessie Barr :smiley:

You’d have no issue with JOSH or Treacy. Thomas Barr hasn’t done enough, yet, but he has great potential and is doing it on a world stage.

Niamh Briggs. Good god.

Seems about right

Sean Kelly surely

2 Likes

Tipp can claim him now

1 Like

Niamh Briggs before one of the great hurlers​:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Gender quotas here

Niamh Briggs :smile:

Alfie Hale should be in there.

Brick Walsh also won a Munster u21 football medal

2 Likes

Jim Beglin will be gutted not to make that list.

2 Likes

After seeing who is on it I am fairly put out myself not to get a mention.

4 Likes

In fairness to Niamh she took to the rugby like a duck to water after taking it up at 23.

2 Likes

Bill McKay should surely have got the Waterford rugby nominee?

Never heard of him.

Grand Slam winner in 1948. Played in all 6 tests for the British Lions in Australia and New Zealand in 1950. Waterford born.

Master McGrath should’ve made that list before O’Shea, Briggs and Barr.

2 Likes

Ben Cronin ??

I’d say it was an accident of birth

Cc @Fagan_ODowd

A grade A spoofer that fella.1 league title and more known for crying on Dans shoulder than actually delivering anything.
Pure media whore,with nothing to back it up.No substance.