Wedding Etiquette

[QUOTE=“scumpot, post: 965352, member: 182”]It is someone’s choice to get married. What’s more it is someone’s choice what kind of celebration they are having. A lot of people go for big fancy weddings with numerous pieces of bridesmaid/groomsman gear and the fancy castle. A pile of people are invited obviously with the aim or firstly showing off, secondly revelling in being the centre of attention and most importantly that the guest will see the fancy location and adjust their ‘present (it is actually a fee)’ accordingly. So in effect, the guests are paying for them to look smart.

So it begs the question, if I decide to get married and invite people is it completely taking the spirit out of it by expecting the guests to come with a hefty present? The answer is yes in my view. If it were me, I would be happy with 30 or 40 people. No place for Mary, the widow of my Dad’s first cousin, or Joe who invited my Mam and Dad to his wedding 20 years ago. I would take the view that they are not sufficiently close to me for me to want them to be at my wedding. Christ I would have spoke to them 10 times in total in my life.

I would not expect the people I invite to bring a present. Now here is where itb gets tricky. If some close mate decided that he would like to give us a gift I would accept it. It would be rude not to. But I wouldn’t get at someone who didn’t give anything. Who gives a shite about receiiving a pile of plates from some old one that looks rank?

I saw a couple after a wedding maintaining a list of those who had brought presents or not. Fucking shocking carry on.[/QUOTE]

:clap:
great post… the last bit happens a lot more than you think…I would go as far to say it would be the norm to make a note of who gave what…so many weddings are just about showing off and trying to create the perfect image of how in love and perfect the couple are … a few wedding I’ve been to I would have no doubt the bride had a big input into the groom’s speech eventhough a she’ll pretend to be ‘dreading’ what he’s going to say…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t keep a list on people that did not go to a wedding. People have reasons not to go. But I would have a list on people that did not go to a family funeral. That is cuntish behaviour.

I don’t know mate. I got two deep fat fryers as presents. And when Fagan reminded us recently about how excellent a deep fat fryer us, I took one out of the press and used it.

Such as?

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 965553, member: 686”]Somewhere in between pal. I know 2 other grooms who got the same treatment! I cant wait for his big day if it ever comes… I’ll update the revenge thread as per protocol.

[/QUOTE]

Galway is full of crusty cunts like that.

great post… the last bit happens a lot more than you think…I would go as far to say it would be the norm to make a note of who gave what…so many weddings are just about showing off and trying to create the perfect image of how in love and perfect the couple are … a few wedding I’ve been to I would have no doubt the bride had a big input into the groom’s speech eventhough a she’ll pretend to be ‘dreading’ what he’s going to say…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t keep a list on people that did not go to a wedding. People have reasons not to go. But I would have a list on people that did not go to a family funeral. That is cuntish behaviour.[/QUOTE]
Would a big element of the list taking not be so they’d know who to send thank you cards to?

Would a big element of the list taking not be so they’d know who to send thank you cards to?[/QUOTE]

No

What the fuck is going on with the quote function @Rocko? Fucking hell. I’m depriving the board of my inane posts until it’s fixed.

There’s nothing wrong with it.

@Bisto made a balls of quoting me and it has spiralled through that post being quoted etc. None of subsequent dumb fools have made any attempt to address it.

He’s from KK pal.

I suppose cunts would turn their nose up at a fine Wedgwood teaset now.

[QUOTE=“balbec, post: 965695, member: 193”]

I wouldn’t keep a list on people that did not go to a wedding. People have reasons not to go. But I would have a list on people that did not go to a family funeral. That is cuntish behaviour.[/QUOTE]

That’s the thing with Irish funerals, it’s never the people who attend who stick in your mind but it’s the neighbours etc who don’t.

As for weddings I’ll probably be called a tight cunt like @glasagusban but my standard present is €100 and if it’s a very good friend would lob in another chunk of additional cash.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 965797, member: 1552”]That’s the thing with Irish funerals, it’s never the people who attend who stick in your mind but it’s the neighbours etc who don’t.

As for weddings I’ll probably be called a tight cunt like @glasagusban but my standard present is €100 and if it’s a very good friend would lob in another chunk of additional cash.[/QUOTE]
+1. I’m keeping a list of people who haven’t liked my post at the top of page 15.

I agreed with it, Fagan-are we good?

just out of interest fenway, did ye get dolled up in the suit , etc?,
i found the crew in the civil marriage office there in Cork to be sound, really decent folk , we needed herself’s birth cert translated from Arabic and apostille stamped but that was about it, they even had the dept, of foreign affairs help us with Morocco… it was gas tho she was telling us stories about couples who come in there and they dont speak a common language, eg a latvian girl marrying a old pakistani gentleman, there is nothing they can do to stop it, they were suspicious enough of me too at the beginning id say, they did a great job in the hotel as well at the cermony… no problems, huge problems registering the marriage in israel tho ,

:slight_smile:

I’ve never been invited to a Black Tie wedding, Fagan. I wouldn’t be hanging around with such folk.

If I was they’d get the same standard cash gift as everyone else.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 965825, member: 1552”]I’ve never been invited to a Black Tie wedding, Fagan. I wouldn’t be hanging around with such folk.

If I was they’d get the same standard cash gift as everyone else.[/QUOTE]

+1
@Fagan ODowd , what type are inviting you to the likes of these things?

His point is still valid.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 965825, member: 1552”]I’ve never been invited to a Black Tie wedding, Fagan. I wouldn’t be hanging around with such folk.

If I was they’d get the same standard cash gift as everyone else.[/QUOTE]
Nieces, generally.

who?, Yelena, your Ukranian “penpal”?
what a fucking mug you are, i suppose you send her 500 euro a month via western union as well