Wedding Etiquette

South Galway Father of bride speech from few years back… daughter was a rather a “large” girl. Father would be one of the thickest men I have ever encountered.

“We’ll miss her badly around silage season, she used to sit on the bonnet of the tractor when we were drawing round bales”

Agri men will get this.

What a cunt of a man.

1 Like

jesus christ:D:D:eek:
fire away there…

I placed a small three figure on a bet for @Rocko’s present and included the betting slip in envelope for him. The bet lost. After reading this thread I gather the amount placed was stingy. The thought going into the present was anything but stingy however. It was overly generous.

They’d drink tea out of it on a special occasion.

great post… the last bit happens a lot more than you think…I would go as far to say it would be the norm to make a note of who gave what…so many weddings are just about showing off and trying to create the perfect image of how in love and perfect the couple are … a few wedding I’ve been to I would have no doubt the bride had a big input into the groom’s speech eventhough a she’ll pretend to be ‘dreading’ what he’s going to say…:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t keep a list on people that did not go to a wedding. People have reasons not to go. But I would have a list on people that did not go to a family funeral. That is cuntish behaviour.[/QUOTE]
What if they just didn’t like the person and didn’t want to be a hypocrite?

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 965901, member: 367”]jesus christ:D:D:eek:
fire away there…[/QUOTE]

Groom wasn’t long out of counselling for a drug addiction… had lost a deposit for their house in the process. The best man regaled some of their best blow outs naming each drug in unnecessary detail… The best man was coked up to his ears in fairness.

ah FFS, that’s desperate, did he get a round of applause?
were you up at the top table?

:eek: :eek:

Sounds like a disaster, tales like that should be kept to on the stag. Not discussing it with proud parents and grandparents (not to mention nosey neighbours) around on one of the most important days of their lives. :eek:

No reflection on you KP but the best man sounds like a bit of a cunt.

Hmmmm

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 965900, member: 686”]South Galway Father of bride speech from few years back… daughter was a rather a “large” girl. Father would be one of the thickest men I have ever encountered.

“We’ll miss her badly around silage season, she used to sit on the bonnet of the tractor when we were drawing round bales”

Agri men will get this.

What a cunt of a man.[/QUOTE]
Jaysus thats fair cuntish.

:smiley:

Unfortunately those days are gone, Fagan

Seeing as youre in the neighbourhood drop down for a cuppa and we can discuss the merits of the new library. The missus will even get out that fancy china we got for the wedding

Which place is more desolate? That was a tricky one. You probably should have gone to granny’s funeral.

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 965827, member: 367”]+1
@Fagan ODowd , what type are inviting you to the likes of these things?[/QUOTE]

His peers in the upper echelons of Irish society.

[QUOTE=“fistoffury, post: 965259, member: 219”]For me it’s usually 150 single or 200 with partner. I range up from there . 500 is the most I have given to a family member or good friend. I know a lot of my friends have been married in the past two years and the general go is about 150 - 200 for a couple.

It seems that the cost range for the hotel can be from 55 - 85 per dinner for mid range hotels. So if you are not giving back at least 150 as a gift you are probably not even covering your cost.

I have an English colleagues wedding here in July, I could not believe it when a few others told me they would be giving £30 as a gift.[/QUOTE]
The English by tradition seem to give less money or smaller gifts. It’s not mean, just what they do. This is reflected in the wedding lists. Cash is still a relative rarity over here. I got badly caught out by this at the first few Irish weddings I went to, and this thread makes me cringe for that reason. At our wedding, however, we had a free bar all day and night, which as you can imagine wasn’t cheap and the most expensive gift on the list as sixty pounds. I am afraid I am a bit like Kev, in that I wanted to say strictly no presents on the invites, but my wife thought guests would get upset. I now tend to buy a fairly expensive limited edition print.

Why are lads getting uppity about people keeping a log of what was given to them? Most couples do it now so they can reference it in Thank You cards or to reciprocate the generosity if they’re invited to that couples wedding.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 965900, member: 686”]South Galway Father of bride speech from few years back… daughter was a rather a “large” girl. Father would be one of the thickest men I have ever encountered.

Agri men will get this.

What a cunt of a man.[/QUOTE]

Was at a wedding last year where the Father of the Bride twice referred to his daughter as “a fine strong girl”.
She was none too impressed.

I suppose there are some people who are genuine in that respect Mac, but don’t be naive and think all are like that. I absolutely know this has been done and the bitching has got out. I assume other lads have seen similar.

Personally I don’t see why you need to write down how much someone gives you. If you are that way inclined you just give them what they deserve (nothing IMO, but however) and you are better off having no knowledge of what came from where and how much. It’s of little benefit to anyone, you are likely to be disappointed with some people if money and presents are so important to you.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 966072, member: 1786”]Was at a wedding last year where the Father of the Bride twice referred to his daughter as “a fine strong girl”.
She was none too impressed.[/QUOTE]
Maybe he was talking about her mental resolve?