Wedding Etiquette

More typical carry on.
Why do I have to be married to know what I want? That’s a complete load of shite. Just because my views make some people uncomfortable, does not make them any less legitimate.
Anyway, I’m not too bothered what you think about my opinion or my observations, however it clearly bothers you or you are arrogant enough to think I seek your approval. Grow up.

Read or watch The Ballroom of Romance.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966682, member: 273”]More typical carry on.
Why do I have to be married to know what I want? That’s a complete load of shite. Just because my views make some people uncomfortable, does not make them any less legitimate.
Anyway, I’m not too bothered what you think about my opinion or my observations, however it clearly bothers you or you are arrogant enough to think I seek your approval. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

Talking through your hole.

How uncomfortable does kev make you?

No just having independent opinion. You should try it.

Not very.

It clearly bothers you. Kev seeks no mans approvement.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966682, member: 273”]
Just because my views make some people uncomfortable[/QUOTE]
Get over yourself Kev. :smiley:

Kev calls out the bluffers, dont hate him just because he can see into your soul.

Anyway, my wedding. I got married in Szczecin 16 years ago. Two ceremonies, civil in the morning and church in the evening. Needed a certified translator for the civil. Bride wears two dresses, a big white one for the church and a more bitchy one for the civil.

Had the do in the hotel Panorama. The custom is that you pay the accomodation costs of your guests. Food provided throughout the evening. Great soakage. Free drink for the night. I arranged beer for the Irish, thinking they would prefer it to the standard vodka provided for the Poles. Turned out the Poles drank the beer and the Irish the vodka. Great night.

Speeches not important. Did a small kiss my arse job. It’s all about the party here. Most women guests will change after the dinner into a more bitchy dress for the dancing.

I was at an inlaws wedding in a village once. In many small places there is no place for a do. The one I was at was upstairs in the fire station. Vodka was spiritus. kind of industrial alcohol with water added. A good night. Food poisoning all around.

Presents were combination of cash and stuff. Did not send thank you’s. What happens here is that the couple stand at the front of the church and the guests line up to congratulate them. Kind of a “sorry for your troubles” vibe. Sometimes the bridesmaid collects the envelopes at the door. You thank your guests at that time, no need for cards. All guests give flowers to the bride.

Overall a civilised day out. If you get a chance to go to a Polish wedding, go.

200-300 i’d say.

[QUOTE=“balbec, post: 966709, member: 193”]Anyway, my wedding. I got married in Szczecin 16 years ago. Two ceremonies, civil in the morning and church in the evening. Needed a certified translator for the civil. Bride wears two dresses, a big white one for the church and a more bitchy one for the civil.

Had the do in the hotel Panorama. The custom is that you pay the accomodation costs of your guests. Food provided throughout the evening. Great soakage. Free drink for the night. I arranged beer for the Irish, thinking they would prefer it to the standard vodka provided for the Poles. Turned out the Poles drank the beer and the Irish the vodka. Great night.

Speeches not important. Did a small kiss my arse job. It’s all about the party here. Most women guests will change after the dinner into a more bitchy dress for the dancing.

I was at an inlaws wedding in a village once. In many small places there is no place for a do. The one I was at was upstairs in the fire station. Vodka was spiritus. kind of industrial alcohol with water added. A good night. Food poisoning all around.

Presents were combination of cash and stuff. Did not send thank you’s. What happens here is that the couple stand at the front of the church and the guests line up to congratulate them. Kind of a “sorry for your troubles” vibe. Sometimes the bridesmaid collects the envelopes at the door. You thank your guests at that time, no need for cards. All guests give flowers to the bride.

Overall a civilised day out. If you get a chance to go to a Polish wedding, go.[/QUOTE]

Szczecin is a great spot, broke down there on the way to the Euro’s :pint:

Ah come on, it’s clear they do.

Giving my two cents on the matter.

I can see both sides of the argument. I despise the pressure society puts on people on certain days - the likes of Valentines Day, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Halloween etc. My own personal view is I attach little significance to any particular day or landmark, maybe except on the death of someone you are close to and that’s more a mark of private reflection rather than doing something to mark or celebrate it. I know people who have to do things, get days off work for birthdays etc and I can’t relate to it, they are just another day to me.

But when you are getting married you need to stop thinking just about yourself. The wedding day to me would mean nothing, it’s just another day and being the shy and retiring type I probably couldn’t wait for it to be over and done with. For women, however it probably means a lot - they probably grow up all their life dreaming about this day so I think if you really love them you will go with the flow and whatever will make her happy on that day you will do it, after all if the psyche of men is much the same as mine then they wouldn’t hold too much attachment to the day - then again I am a weak, weak person and asexual so I’m probably not a good example. I wouldn’t scupper what is likely to be the biggest day of the love of my life’s life on the basis of some principled viewpoint I hold. I’m quite a stubborn person in general but that would definitely be one thing I could relent without much confliction.

[QUOTE=“balbec, post: 966709, member: 193”]Anyway, my wedding. I got married in Szczecin 16 years ago. Two ceremonies, civil in the morning and church in the evening. Needed a certified translator for the civil. Bride wears two dresses, a big white one for the church and a more bitchy one for the civil.

Overall a civilised day out. If you get a chance to go to a Polish wedding, go.[/QUOTE]

Went to a Polish wedding a few years ago outside Opole. Great weekend. As you said food and drink provided. Had great craic with the father of the bride, he didn’t speak English and I didn’t speak Polish but we connected. He gave me a few bottles of the homemade Polish vodka we’d been hammering the night before to bring home. Never touched it, some memories are best left as they are.

It’s come on a lot in the last few years.

@Esteban de la Sexface is making an utter show of himself in this thread , very poor debut on TFK.
@caoimhaoin did some very good WUM work but is overdoing it now and the joke has gone a bit stale

fuck me that’s an all merciful clamping and mugging off

@caoimhaoin 's WUM was taken apart by balbec really over the last few pages…

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966288, member: 273”]These are the sorts of things I manage to figure out early days, it’s pretty easy to see into the future based on how other things are handled.
My woman was very clearly from a long way out not at all bothered by material things, hence that’s part if the attraction. Of course I’ll still have to compromise, but that’s what ye seem to be missing, compromise. Which really is the entire basis of a good relationship. She wants a small beach wedding with 8-10 people at it in South WA and also something in Ireland where we do a registry office thing and have a massive party for a day an a half after, nothing plush, just craic.
To be honest why would I even not agree to that?

You should get out soon, the earlier the less painful. There is obviously an imbalance in your relationship which will chip away at you over time. You’ll end up exploding some time when she wins the argument about which fish and chip shop ye go to again on a Sunday evening.
Either that or confront her and tell her you need to balance out the wedding thing in some way. Maybe there is a hit friend or sister you could fuck? That would probably do it for ya.

But don’t let it fester.[/QUOTE]

he doth protest too much…