Wedding Etiquette

25 pages of pure gold in a few short days. :clap::clap:

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 967102, member: 686”]Fireworks :smiley:

He gave her way too much rope there, sounds like he had a lucky escape in the end though a 3 year sentence was harsh enough.[/QUOTE]

The fireworks thing was completely over the top in fairness, needless above anything else. Just an attempt to show off they had some wealth. “False fun” as one of the lads on the day subsequently called it.

We were having a bit of craic at the table but had to go outside en masse and stand around in the cold and rain for 10 minutes looking at it. :rolleyes:

She threw out a child within a year of being married and that’s who I feel sorry for.

Great thread by the way.

@Bisto. Does the best man still throw grushie at an inner City Dublin wedding?

no just a few hooks…

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 966939, member: 24”]Surprisingly poor post by @Gman

Many of the married posters on here have said that they went along with the traditional wedding because they wouldn’t have had any hope of getting their way if they had protested otherwise. There is no indication that they actually wanted to do the popular stuff just that it was imposed upon them.

I see this as a debate, just as much as a debate about football or lovely ladies. I am not upset by it, I am merely debating it.

This whole ‘those who aren’t married’ and 'come back to me when you get married and have kids (whatever the fuck that has to do with anything) adopted by @Gman[/USER] and [USER=193]@balbec really grates my balls. At least Gman attempts to explain his points while balbec just throws out the dismissive one liners. I am not a conventionalist and I often look at the lack of the originality and sheer mundaneness of the wedding occassion before and after. Now some people may be happy with being mundane but naturally I cannot understand that. The two lads will probably point to the fact that ‘well you were never married’ but I am in a relationship and I would look upon the decision as to what to do about a wedding just like any other in a relationsip - compromise. I would have hoped that she would not be mundane as why would I being getting married to her then?

I just want to reiterate that this is purely a debate I am engaged in and no other conclusions should be reached.[/QUOTE]

Wedding snob

They all crave 5 minutes with Kev.

Girly men.

There’s nothing confidential here. We are your e mates. Tell us how much you put in the card.

An Alsatian would be quieter & cheaper.

think I upset some by putting in the non married bit. The only reason I did so is that, in my opinion, your views on weddings and the whole shite that goes with them really changes when you are in the midst of it. It wasnt meant to be a condescending standpoint, so apologies for that.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 966939, member: 24”]Surprisingly poor post by @Gman

Many of the married posters on here have said that they went along with the traditional wedding because they wouldn’t have had any hope of getting their way if they had protested otherwise. There is no indication that they actually wanted to do the popular stuff just that it was imposed upon them.

I see this as a debate, just as much as a debate about football or lovely ladies. I am not upset by it, I am merely debating it.

This whole ‘those who aren’t married’ and 'come back to me when you get married and have kids (whatever the fuck that has to do with anything) adopted by @Gman[/USER] and [USER=193]@balbec really grates my balls. At least Gman attempts to explain his points while balbec just throws out the dismissive one liners. I am not a conventionalist and I often look at the lack of the originality and sheer mundaneness of the wedding occassion before and after. Now some people may be happy with being mundane but naturally I cannot understand that. The two lads will probably point to the fact that ‘well you were never married’ but I am in a relationship and I would look upon the decision as to what to do about a wedding just like any other in a relationsip - compromise. I would have hoped that she would not be mundane as why would I being getting married to her then?

I just want to reiterate that this is purely a debate I am engaged in and no other conclusions should be reached.[/QUOTE]

thats fair enough Farmer, I suppose I just dont get why it bothers someone so much that they have such views on how others want to spend their day. At the end of it all, as you I think pointed out earlier, its their day and fuck everyone else, so maybe they are saying fuck you too by doing it their way, even if that means its boring to you.

Most have great ideas on how original their wedding will be. What I generally find is 90% of them are the same, and most try throw in some unique piece to try make it somewhat their own. By the time you sort out all the shit that goes with it, you find the the easiest and cheapest way to get it sorted works best, and this quite often happens to be the mundane and common stuff.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966959, member: 273”]Firstly I believe a lot of the shit, the bells and whistles, is pure and utter unscrupulous marketing over a long period of time aimed at people’s emotions. Especially aimed at women and selling them shit they don’t need. And selling this thru the catch all "“happiest day of your life”.
The last 10 years it has become a circus and wedding planners and all this shit telling emotional women what they “have to have”. It also become a competition between women and sometimes even men, friends FFS.

Secondly, any of us not married is completely irrelevant. We have eyes and ears, we can observe as well.
You don’t play AFL or hurling for Wexfotd, does that mean you cannot have a view on those either?[/QUOTE]

Some of the bells and whistles we are talking about here though, invitations and thank you cards, arent expensive. Or they dont have to be. Case in point, for our own, we did our own invitations and thank you cards, at pretty much no expense as we designed them and printed/wrote them ourselves. Maybe that might add a bit of uniqueness to it, or it might be towing the line of the masses. Either way, I couldnt give a shite. I wanted to be able to invite and thank people in an easy manner. Unless you have less than 20 at your wedding, you wont get a chance to talk to everyone properly to be able to give a heartfelt thanks. You can bullshit it and just wander around and thank them, but I prefer being able to thank them afterwards. If they throw it away, who cares, like your presence being the important thing, the message of saying thanks is IMO the important thing too, so if they are appreciative or not of the thanks, I felt better by thanking them to come to our day.

I agree with the wedding planners and the over the top bullshit, but I dont think anyone is arguing different to that.

Of course everyone has their opinion on things, but as I said, I think having gone through it does give a different perspective.

Come back to us when you do marry tho Kev, and I’d nearly wager that the plans you outline earlier, 2 simple ceremonies and throwing 5k behind the bar wont happen. It all sounds great in theory, but if you pull it off, then fair play.

Over the last while I have noticed that ‘alternative weddings’ so to speak are the new mundane or norm. The last three I’ve been to have been humanist ceremonies in what would be perceived as more unusual locations, one in an old house in Dingle in early December where a gale deemed that the marquees couldn’t be used and we were squashed into the two main reception rooms and entrance hall, one in the gardens of a beautiful old house in Wexford with the reception in one of the brides family restaurants in Wexford town and another in a Studio Space in Dublin with the reception in a restaurant in Dawson St.

Before that I’d been to two marquees in the garden of the family home where I was a helper as it was all hands on deck to pull off the simple no frills effect, another one in a barn in the Peak District in the UK- another do it yourself jobby - a huge amount of hard work too.

This is besides the ones I’ve been at abroad- one chateau in France, two villas in Italy and two other more simple affairs in Italy too.

If we got an invitation to a church wedding with the reception in a nearby hotel where it would be straightforward to book a room and stay over, I would nearly be shocked but giddy

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 967266, member: 112”]think I upset some by putting in the non married bit. The only reason I did so is that, in my opinion, your views on weddings and the whole shite that goes with them really changes when you are in the midst of it. It wasnt meant to be a condescending standpoint, so apologies for that.

thats fair enough Farmer, I suppose I just dont get why it bothers someone so much that they have such views on how others want to spend their day. At the end of it all, as you I think pointed out earlier, its their day and fuck everyone else, so maybe they are saying fuck you too by doing it their way, even if that means its boring to you.

Most have great ideas on how original their wedding will be. What I generally find is 90% of them are the same, and most try throw in some unique piece to try make it somewhat their own. By the time you sort out all the shit that goes with it, you find the the easiest and cheapest way to get it sorted works best, and this quite often happens to be the mundane and common stuff.

Some of the bells and whistles we are talking about here though, invitations and thank you cards, arent expensive. Or they dont have to be. Case in point, for our own, we did our own invitations and thank you cards, at pretty much no expense as we designed them and printed/wrote them ourselves. Maybe that might add a bit of uniqueness to it, or it might be towing the line of the masses. Either way, I couldnt give a shite. I wanted to be able to invite and thank people in an easy manner. Unless you have less than 20 at your wedding, you wont get a chance to talk to everyone properly to be able to give a heartfelt thanks. You can bullshit it and just wander around and thank them, but I prefer being able to thank them afterwards. If they throw it away, who cares, like your presence being the important thing, the message of saying thanks is IMO the important thing too, so if they are appreciative or not of the thanks, I felt better by thanking them to come to our day.

I agree with the wedding planners and the over the top bullshit, but I dont think anyone is arguing different to that.

Of course everyone has their opinion on things, but as I said, I think having gone through it does give a different perspective.

Come back to us when you do marry tho Kev, and I’d nearly wager that the plans you outline earlier, 2 simple ceremonies and throwing 5k behind the bar wont happen. It all sounds great in theory, but if you pull it off, then fair play.[/QUOTE]
Why wouldn’t it? If both people want it then it’s completely simple. I simply don’t see what would stop it.

Have you even read the thread, not only me has seen on invitations, and an email sent out a week previous once, paraphrasing “we would like cash instead of presents”.
Alternatively I have seen messages like “your presence is our present”, “please no presents or cash” or a link and/or account no. for a charity if you really want to give some money. The guide dogs was one I remember. Which I thought was a fantastic idea and I donated.
It’s all about the player. You make your own rules. It’s your wedding FFS.

like I said, when it happens let us know. But between women saying one thing before even having to plan for a wedding (never mind not being engaged), and then changing their perspective, the actual costs of things for it, especially when you know everyone coming wont be giving you a bob, and just a change of attitudes in general with yourselves on what you want when it comes to pass, I would be surprised if what you plan now is what happens in eventuality. Thats just a random thought in general, nothing specific about it as how can I comment on something that hasnt even happened, but if you do end up with it as you say now, more power to you.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967313, member: 273”]Have you even read the thread, not only me has seen on invitations, and an email sent out a week previous once, paraphrasing “we would like cash instead of presents”.
Alternatively I have seen messages like “your presence is our present”, “please no presents or cash” or a link and/or account no. for a charity if you really want to give some money. The guide dogs was one I remember. Which I thought was a fantastic idea and I donated.
It’s all about the player. You make your own rules. It’s your wedding FFS.[/QUOTE]

a relative of mine, who I wouldnt see often, had a witty little poem in his invitation of how they have all they need, so just send money. Prick. I didnt even acknowledge it. I havent seen anyone say no presents though, and whilst that was the only cash asking one I saw, I have heard of that before. That is bullshit though.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967313, member: 273”]Have you even read the thread, not only me has seen on invitations, and an email sent out a week previous once, paraphrasing “we would like cash instead of presents”.
It’s all about the player. You make your own rules. It’s your wedding FFS.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be basic human psychology croppy, not so much my opinion. That and what many women would actually tell you.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 967314, member: 112”]like I said, when it happens let us know. But between women saying one thing before even having to plan for a wedding (never mind not being engaged), and then changing their perspective, the actual costs of things for it, especially when you know everyone coming wont be giving you a bob, and just a change of attitudes in general with yourselves on what you want when it comes to pass, I would be surprised if what you plan now is what happens in eventuality. Thats just a random thought in general, nothing specific about it as how can I comment on something that hasnt even happened, but if you do end up with it as you say now, more power to you.

a relative of mine, who I wouldnt see often, had a witty little poem in his invitation of how they have all they need, so just send money. Prick. I didnt even acknowledge it. I havent seen anyone say no presents though, and whilst that was the only cash asking one I saw, I have heard of that before. That is bullshit though.[/QUOTE]
And then you agree with me and that’s the thrust of the whole debate. It all centered on that and the greedy and whipped lads here exposed themselves.
Not all woman say one thing and mean another all the time Gman. I’m surprised at you.

There are a number of factors outside of the two getting married which may or may not effect you but at least one of them will affect the majority of weddings:

[LIST=1]
[]The wishes of the parents
[
]Religious requirements or not
[]The fact the weddings business is set up to run in a standard format and to go outside that can take a lot of organising, many people don’t have the time for that
[
]Availability of venues
[*]Legal requirements and timeframes
[/LIST]

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967318, member: 273”]And then you agree with me and that’s the thrust of the whole debate. It all centered on that and the greedy and whipped lads here exposed themselves.
Not all woman say one thing and mean another all the time Gman. I’m surprised at you.[/QUOTE]

So anyone who doesn’t agree with your way of thinking is either greedy, whipped or both?