Wedding Etiquette

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 967322, member: 110”]There are a number of factors outside of the two getting married which may or may not effect you but at least one of them will affect the majority of weddings:

[LIST=1]
[]The wishes of the parents
[
]Religious requirements or not
[]The fact the weddings business is set up to run in a standard format and to go outside that can take a lot of organising, many people don’t have the time for that
[
]Availability of venues
[*]Legal requirements and timeframes
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]
Well the Australian side were it to happen is not affected by any of them. Beach, garden in hotel. Hardly a problem.
Ireland, none of that is relevant to me either. Wishes of the parents is bizarre? It’s your wedding fella.
Do you just accept people telling you that you can’t do something?
You are really not seeing how much easier it can be. I really don’t get point 3…ring up a venue yourself, ask when it’s available and pay the deposit.

It’s become clear that I have found something the Aussies do way fucking better than us anyway.

In that point certainly greedy. If it’s partner driven, whipped. or possibly yes, both.
Not sure why you did not see that the first time.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967329, member: 273”]Well the Australian side were it to happen is not affected by any of them. Beach, garden in hotel. Hardly a problem.
Ireland, none of that is relevant to me either. Wishes of the parents is bizarre? It’s your wedding fella.
You are really not seeing how much easier it can be. I really don’t get point 3…ring up a venue yourself, ask when it’s available and pay the deposit.

It’s become clear that I have found something the Aussies do way fucking better than us anyway.[/QUOTE]

In your opinion- as I said I’ve been to so many simple, no fuss, alternative weddings, a bit of pageantry wouldn’t go astray now!!
Or a row !!

[QUOTE=“Midshipman Asha, post: 967334, member: 1508”]In your opinion- as I said I’ve been to so many simple, no fuss, alternative weddings, a bit of pageantry wouldn’t go astray now!!
Or a row !![/QUOTE]
I’ll organize the row if you want to come along to mine. It’ll be as close to open invitation as you’ll get.

I have a question. I was invited to a wedding of a good friend recently which I was unable to attend. I RSVP’d in time so I wasn’t included in the final numbers. My oul lad said I should still send a present anyhow. I was aghast at this. Please tell me he’s wrong.

Kev trying to get his point across here has gone very much like this,

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967330, member: 273”]In that point certainly greedy. If it’s partner driven, whipped. or possibly yes, both.
Not sure why you did not see that the first time.[/QUOTE]

I wanted a church wedding, a wanted a nice meal for all my family and friends and wanted people to have a great day. There was nothing OTT. Invitations were done as a gift from a cousin, as was the cake. Nobody had to come who didn’t want to be there. Nobody had to give a present. We had a great day, everyone said they had a great time (they are going to say that anyways). I don’t see the problem.

You want to get married on a beach and then have a party with a free bar so go do it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967329, member: 273”]Well the Australian side were it to happen is not affected by any of them. Beach, garden in hotel. Hardly a problem.

It’s become clear that I have found something the Aussies do way fucking better than us anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well done to the Aussies for doing it way better and well done to you for finding it.

You’re like a modern day Marco Polo

Spastics . Utter, utter spastics.

If you are traditional like me, he is not wrong.

Stage 4 rattled

Ah look if he’s a good friend you’d have to get them something, in fairness. No real obligation on you to get something but if you’ve known him/them years then it would be nice to get him/them something. If he’s normal he won’t really expect you to get anything but would surely be grateful.

If he’s a lad you only chat to occasionally down the pub/in the work canteen I’d be tempted to hold off.

Was invited to a wedding last year and couldn’t attend. Was for a lad I lived with in college for a few months. Nice lad but not all there, got on well with him but we never really good drinking mates or anything. Had practically no contact with him after college, apart from bumping into him accidentally once or twice on nights out. Got some shock when the wedding invite for the full thing (with a plus one) arrived in the post. Didn’t send him/them anything. Looking back I should have sent him something, a card at least.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967318, member: 273”]And then you agree with me and that’s the thrust of the whole debate. It all centered on that and the greedy and whipped lads here exposed themselves.
Not all woman say one thing and mean another all the time Gman. I’m surprised at you.[/QUOTE]

not sure what I am agreeing with you on? People who outright ask for money in their invites are cunts. And if any of the fuckers here did it I’d call them a cunt too. The majority of presents these days anyway is money, so there is no need to ask for anything. you get what you get. but I dont think asking for money on an invite was the thrust of the debate. actually not sure what is.

no, not all women say one thing and mean another, but sometimes, for weddings, women say one thing, but then when the reality of the situation sets in quite often change their viewpoint. not speaking from personal experience here, just in general.

Space Cadet is a more politically correct term these days, Mark.

I haven’t even read the thread, pal. I just can’t believe there has been 20 pages on this shite over the last few days.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 967340, member: 1786”]I wanted a church wedding, a wanted a nice meal for all my family and friends and wanted people to have a great day. There was nothing OTT. Invitations were done as a gift from a cousin, as was the cake. Nobody had to come who didn’t want to be there. Nobody had to give a present. We had a great day, everyone said they had a great time (they are going to say that anyways). I don’t see the problem.

You want to get married on a beach and then have a party with a free bar so go do it.[/QUOTE]
Ya exactly, that sounds like a nice simple day. I have enjoyed a few simple such weddings. That’s my point though1, it’s about the people and 2, all the extras are bull shit. And asking for money is bullshit. I think we’re on the same page.
For what it’s worth I probably wouldn’t chose a beach myself, but that’s what the good lady likes. She will look after the Oz side, me the irish.

Can we all come, Kev? I promise i won’t snigger.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967351, member: 273”]Ya exactly, that sounds like a nice simple day. I have enjoyed a few simple such weddings. That’s my point though1, it’s about the people and 2, all the extras are bull shit. And asking for money is bullshit. I think we’re on the same page.
For what it’s worth I probably wouldn’t chose a beach myself, but that’s what the good lady likes. She will look after the Oz side, me the irish.[/QUOTE]

under the thumb, whipped, etc etc…;):popcorn:

What’s your outlook Mark? I presume you’ll want a fairy take wedding with princess?

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 967348, member: 112”]not sure what I am agreeing with you on? People who outright ask for money in their invites are cunts. And if any of the fuckers here did it I’d call them a cunt too. The majority of presents these days anyway is money, so there is no need to ask for anything. you get what you get. but I dont think asking for money on an invite was the thrust of the debate. actually not sure what is.

no, not all women say one thing and mean another, but sometimes, for weddings, women say one thing, but then when the reality of the situation sets in quite often change their viewpoint. not speaking from personal experience here, just in general.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough on last bit. But for me that just done to being straight and fair and compromise from day one. An of course lads taking a bit of an interest.

FYI. The whole thing kicked off on me giving out about giving cash to people for their wedding, in particular people already set up in life. I made the point the tradition of presents or cash was an old one as most people were just moving in together for the first time. This is now dead. I know a lot of couples look to recoup the outlay of the wedding. My point was, if you can’t afford it don’t do it.

It expanded from there as lads got more and more rattled by their own outlook on their own weddings. Maybe a few got morally repent-full, but expressed it in lashing out.

It’s gas that guys are now saying to me, if you want to do it that way then do it. Where as my original point was not really pointed at anyone in particular yet a few lads really exposed themselves by getting all up in arms about it. Until today it was, you should respect our way of doing it, but your way is stupid. A lot of it is the same lads looking to have a cut off me at anything I say. Something thats an honour really considering the gobshites some are.
I think the word for that is hypocrisy, in Cork we’d just say you were acting the langer.