Wedding Etiquette

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1082427, member: 9”]Was chatting to a pal who got married recently.

He said they experienced some incredible generosity and stinginess in equal measure.

Regarding the latter, he said the bride’s aunt and her husband and their three 30-something year old children and assorted wives/husbands/partners were all invited separately. So 4 couples if you will.

The aunt and uncle put €200 in the card and signed it as being from them and “gang”. Essentially their three children, the bride’s cousins, and their respective partners piggybacked on the old pair and gave nothing themselves.

€200 for 8 people. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Shocking, you’d be well within your rights to never talk to that side of the family again.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1082427, member: 9”]Was chatting to a pal who got married recently.

He said they experienced some incredible generosity and stinginess in equal measure.

Regarding the latter, he said the bride’s aunt and her husband and their three 30-something year old children and assorted wives/husbands/partners were all invited separately. So 4 couples if you will.

The aunt and uncle put €200 in the card and signed it as being from them and “gang”. Essentially their three children, the bride’s cousins, and their respective partners piggybacked on the old pair and gave nothing themselves.

€200 for 8 people. :eek:[/QUOTE]

So that’s a good maybe €400 they are down on that group alone. Given that they are all adults and partnered off that is pretty shoddy.
It takes a lot of work to ensure you don’t end up in a big financial hole after all is said and done.

If they were in a decent enough venue[€75pp all expenses factored], they’d be down €400 already.
And it’d take 16 people giving an ok sum[€100pp] to offset that and be back breaking even.
If they were in any kind of higher end place they’d be in an even bigger deficit.

Wedding P/L spreadsheets are serious business.

[QUOTE=“cluaindiuic, post: 1082443, member: 258”]So that’s a good maybe €400 they are down on that group alone. Given that they are all adults and partnered off that is pretty shoddy.
It takes a lot of work to ensure you don’t end up in a big financial hole after all is said and done.

If they were in a decent enough venue[€75pp all expenses factored], they’d be down €400 already.
And it’d take 16 people giving an ok sum[€100pp] to offset that and be back breaking even.
If they were in any kind of higher end place they’d be in an even bigger deficit.

Wedding P/L spreadsheets are serious business.[/QUOTE]

What a load of wank. The whole money fest that goes on around Irish weddings nowadays is fucking stupid. Anyone who buys into that bullshit needs their heads examined.

I was at another wedding recently where the bride’s aunt, her husband and their three teenage children were invited. They put €50 in the card. :eek:

Something tells me @Bandage might have some news for us in the very near future :cool:

Why wouldn’t you like to buy into a money fest?

:eek: :clap: :pint:

We’ll need a live stream of the ceremony on TFK and the reception will have to be in the 51

Hell have to wait til the referendum passes

I genuinely cannot understand why people are tight with money.

Whatever they save can’t be worth the horrible reputation they get as a result of their stinginess.

That said I hate the feeling of being had at weddings. Where you give a decent present and it is clear that the couple have gone for the most basic deal possible.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 1082550, member: 24”]I genuinely cannot understand why people are tight with money.

Whatever they save can’t be worth the horrible reputation they get as a result of their stinginess.

That said I hate the feeling of being had at weddings. Where you give a decent present and it is clear that the couple have gone for the most basic deal possible.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Also, how far does the stinginess rep spread? It only spreads if the recipient tells other people, complaining about how much so and so contributed, which makes them look like a cunt in turn.

No - I think any reasonable person would be able to see the initial stinginess for what it is.

Getting sick of invites with no plus 1?

Not just that but real bog standard venues with shit food.

No, if anyone complained to me that someone didn’t gift them enough i would see their point, but I’d think they were a miserable cunt to voice it. If you can’t actually afford a venue or a number of guests don’t invite them or revise down your wedding budget.

[QUOTE=“cluaindiuic, post: 1082443, member: 258”]So that’s a good maybe €400 they are down on that group alone. Given that they are all adults and partnered off that is pretty shoddy.

Wedding P/L spreadsheets are serious business.[/QUOTE]
are you being serious?

absofuckinglutely

:eek:

how would anyone know?
Your attitude to this is sickening.
I fucking hate this part of Ireland

Organise your own so.