Wedding Etiquette

That’s not really true. Iv been at a few small weddings where I know for a fact the couple needed the money. if your splashing out on a big wedding you can’t expect any sympathy if you song get a ball of cash

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1082578, member: 273”]So you think the people at the wedding should pay for the wedding?
That’s mental.[/QUOTE]
I’m saying the opposite. The present was stingy though. @balbec nailed this, anyone who would go around telling people is a classless no mark.

You’d be the bigger dickhead so.

My solution to that is save and have a wedding that suits your means. But that’s just me.

And we all need the money in some shape or fashion.

They didn’t need the money for the wedding. They needed it to get a bit of a start in their new life. A wedding is a very rare occasion when you can give a few quid to a mate without him feeling under an obligation to you.

Ya, like I said, that was the tradition that I didn’t have a problem with. So fair enough.

Weddings are turning into a thing of the past…

Agreed. Weddings are for queers.

:smiley:

Another Cork man

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2920057/Couple-auction-places-lavish-Las-Vegas-ceremony-strangers.html

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1082672, member: 1786”]Another Cork man

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2920057/Couple-auction-places-lavish-Las-Vegas-ceremony-strangers.html[/QUOTE]

“always coming up with wacky ideas”. Fucks sake.

Yes, they were from Cork actually.

why are cork people so tight? its an awful character trait

Figures. No wonder @caoimhaoin thinks its ok to be a horrible mean prick of a man.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1082606, member: 1170”]What do ye think of this, as I’m a little perturbed? A good friend of mine got married a while back. He and his now wife live abroad, but had the wedding in Ireland. He stipulated that there was no wedding list, but nothing else. He is one of the nicest, most decent people you could ever wish to meet. Herself and I were the only couple invited from the sports club where I was fortunate enough to meet him.
I wondered whether to give money, but bought him a sculpture instead by a fairly well known Irish sculptor, local to my folks, who I visited in person to pick out said present. It was of a footballer, and was small enough to transport, but heavy enough.
In any case, whilst it wouldn’t be his wife’s thing at all, I met him playing Gaelic games, and it was really my present to him, as I had only met his wife once or twice before.
I haven’t heard from them since, as they are back abroad, and I’m worried that the present has been deemed unsuitable by his wife and that I have offended her.
The wedding was a grand affair which must have cost a fucking fortune.
Should we have given cash in these circumstances?[/QUOTE]
You’re some cunt flatly giving them that shit, in fairness.

[QUOTE=“flattythehurdler, post: 1082606, member: 1170”]What do ye think of this, as I’m a little perturbed? A good friend of mine got married a while back. He and his now wife live abroad, but had the wedding in Ireland. He stipulated that there was no wedding list, but nothing else. He is one of the nicest, most decent people you could ever wish to meet. Herself and I were the only couple invited from the sports club where I was fortunate enough to meet him.
I wondered whether to give money, but bought him a sculpture instead by a fairly well known Irish sculptor, local to my folks, who I visited in person to pick out said present. It was of a footballer, and was small enough to transport, but heavy enough.
In any case, whilst it wouldn’t be his wife’s thing at all, I met him playing Gaelic games, and it was really my present to him, as I had only met his wife once or twice before.
I haven’t heard from them since, as they are back abroad, and I’m worried that the present has been deemed unsuitable by his wife and that I have offended her.
The wedding was a grand affair which must have cost a fucking fortune.
Should we have given cash in these circumstances?[/QUOTE]

I am sure you meant well. But the fact you haven’t heard from them since says it all.

A fucking sculpture of a gaelic footballer. The wife’s heart is probably broken trying to find somewhere to hide it from public view.

In a word, yes. No contact at all since then. That’s why I’m perturbed. I was delighted with my present but it was mainly aimed at him, and I wonder if it caused offence.

If it did she’s not worth worrying about. And if he is out with you because his wife is insulted he ain’t worth bothering with either

I fear you are right. I was delighted with it. Copper and marble. We have a good few of his sculptures in the house. I love them. Should have given cash I fear. Such is life.