Wedding Etiquette

Should be straightforward enough. The role of the best man is minor. In the old days you would have to do the registry office separate from the church wedding but they are combined now. When I got married I did both and had a registered translator. I have never seen one in a church wedding however. All you need to do is sign the book.

Usually the bride and groom stand at the church door after mass and everyone comes up to congratulate them. Usually people will give the couple flowers and envelopes of cash at this stage. It is the role of the bridesmaid and groom to help them collect the stuff.

The wedding party is an event where one needs to pace oneself carefully. Usually there aren’t speeches. If someone wants to slobber something, work away. The usual drink is vodka. Normally the vodka required is estimated at one bottle per adult male. There will be toasts to the happy couple at random, you will hear a cry of “Goshka, goshka” everyone stands up, toasts, and necks it in one. It is a good idea to have a coke or a juice chaser after it. Food will be on the tables throughout the party, it’s not like in Ireland with beef or salmon. This is very important for soakage purposes. If you don’t eat regularly you will be carried out of the place raving by 9pm. There is always one gomey looking youngfella who is always jumping up calling for toasts. And a few Irish carried out early doors. You won’t have to put your hand in your pocket all night.

The women will typically have more than one dress. One for the registry office, one for the church and one for the dancing. They will look gamey. Some of them will be. The vodka may also affect your judgement in this matter.

Around midnight there will be some fuckacting with games, such as throwing the bouquet, musical chairs and stuff like that. All good fun. Rolling your trouser leg up an playing an imaginary guitar is not recommended.

There will be more hot food after midnight.

The following day the people will reconvene, eat more food and drink whatever is left over.

21 Likes

Great scene setting balbec top post. Sound like great craic

One bottle of vodka per adult and. Some laugh. Id be comatose if I drank a bottle of vodka I’d say. Would you be supping any few beers as well?

It depends. Probably there will be some wine for the ladies as well. Beer is more mainstream now than it used to be at social events. When I got married I got beer in for the Irish visitors. The Poles drank the beer and the Irish drank the vodka.

3 Likes

What if you couldn’t tolerate vodka? I can’t stomach the stuff at all, I’d gag at the smell of it but would more or less drink anything else. Would it be frowned upon not to neck a few vodkas at the wedding over there or social events?

Thinly veiled, my new woman is Polish and now I’m worried I might have to kick her to touch

1 Like

No, you could pretend to sip it and pace yourself. Or mix it with lots of juice and little vodka. Or they might have some wine laid on for the ladies and confident guys.

2 Likes

Would you get a fat yoke trying to sing Caledonia around 5am?

11 Likes

Not a chance.

Is that the default song for fat yokes and/or country/roaster women?

It ain’t over until the fat lady signs (Caledonia).

I don’t knoooooooooooow if you can seeeeeeeeee

And I’m goooooooooooing home

As a matter of interest, what’s the going rate for a wedding envelope in Poland??

Who gives a carp?

5 Likes

You wouldn’t want to swan off over there unprepared.

3 Likes

Few hundred. Minimum 100 Euro. A flash git like you could give more of course. Sculptures are becoming fierce popular.

A few hundred is a little vague. Good friend, how much?

I’d say 500 zlots minimum, that’s just over a hundred Euros. I’ve seen a few grand given. It depends.

1 Like

Bride and groom write to guest seeking “adjustment” to wedding gift.

Excellent if not a little disappointing advice.

@TreatyStones on fire in here this evening. Quiptastic stuff. :grin::clap: