Wexford GAA 2009

no

So, you’re looking to blame one particular player for the display even though you weren’t at the game and presumably haven’t heard or read detailed reports about the performance?

it was in question form bandage

See you lot soon…

Wexford prevail

Mon, Mar 23, 2009
NHL DIVISION TWO: WEXFORD 3-15 WESTMEATH 2-14 : WEXFORD required a late goal from Stephen Doyle to kill off a dogged challenge from Westmeath at Wexford Park yesterday.
Two goals from Rory Jacob after 16 and 21 minutes and the accuracy of Paul Carley helped Wexford lead 2-9 to 0-7 at the interval as Brendan Murtagh and impressive centre back Andrew Mitchell fought hard to keep the visitors in touch.
Murtaghs two secon- half goals helped Westmeath reduce the deficit to 2-14 to 2-13 before Doyle struck to ease Wexfords concern.

WEXFORD : D Fitzhenry; M Travers, D OConnor, B OLeary; R Kehoe, S Nolan, C Kenny; C Farrell, M Jacob; S Doyle (1-1), A Shore (0-3), P Carley (0-7, one free); P Atkinson (0-1), S Banville (0-2), R Jacob (2-1). Subs : D Lyng for Atkinson (40 mins), E Quigley for Kehoe (48 mins); N Kirwan for Carley (58 mins); D Redmond for Farrell (65 mins); E Martin for Doyle (70 mins).
WESTMEATH: P Burke; D Curley, P Greville, C Jordan; J Shaw, A Mitchell (0-1, free), E Price; P Dowdall, B Connaughton; B Smyth (0-2), D McCormack (0-2), C Curley (0-1); K Cosgrove, B Murtagh (2-6, four frees), D McNicholas (0-2). Subs : A Price for Cosgrove (40 mins), N Flanagan for Curley (58 mins), A Aughey for Jordan (69 mins).
Referee : M Wadding (Waterford).
2009 The Irish Times

[quote=“Menapian”]Wexford prevail

Mon, Mar 23, 2009
NHL DIVISION TWO: WEXFORD 3-15 WESTMEATH 2-14 : WEXFORD required a late goal from Stephen Doyle to kill off a dogged challenge from Westmeath at Wexford Park yesterday.
Two goals from Rory Jacob after 16 and 21 minutes and the accuracy of Paul Carley helped Wexford lead 2-9 to 0-7 at the interval as Brendan Murtagh and impressive centre back Andrew Mitchell fought hard to keep the visitors in touch.
Murtaghs two secon- half goals helped Westmeath reduce the deficit to 2-14 to 2-13 before Doyle struck to ease Wexfords concern.

WEXFORD : D Fitzhenry; M Travers, D OConnor, B OLeary; R Kehoe, S Nolan, C Kenny; C Farrell, M Jacob; S Doyle (1-1), A Shore (0-3), P Carley (0-7, one free); P Atkinson (0-1), S Banville (0-2), R Jacob (2-1). Subs : D Lyng for Atkinson (40 mins), E Quigley for Kehoe (48 mins); N Kirwan for Carley (58 mins); D Redmond for Farrell (65 mins); E Martin for Doyle (70 mins).
WESTMEATH: P Burke; D Curley, P Greville, C Jordan; J Shaw, A Mitchell (0-1, free), E Price; P Dowdall, B Connaughton; B Smyth (0-2), D McCormack (0-2), C Curley (0-1); K Cosgrove, B Murtagh (2-6, four frees), D McNicholas (0-2). Subs : A Price for Cosgrove (40 mins), N Flanagan for Curley (58 mins), A Aughey for Jordan (69 mins).
Referee : M Wadding (Waterford).
2009 The Irish Times[/quote]

Didnt realise that was the team. Good to see Andy Shore starting his first proper intercounty senior game and getting a few points. Gman was telling me that Gizzy and Quigley were dropped after coming back from Abu Dhabi or something like that?

were they out there for long do ya know mac… as gizzy fit is i reckon our best hurler at the minute and quigley is a handy hurler as well… should be tryin to get a team built together not droppin players for been on holidays

They were playing for Leinster over there, CLG, so it wasn’t just a holiday. But the fact they were dropped suggests they might have come back later than they should have or something. PM please Mac/Gman/Pikeman/Gavin.

Bad weekend for wexford, footballers continue their abysmal run, while the hurlers scrape past a christy ring team

I’d be worried that paul carley was our main scoring threat against westmeath, skillful player, but he will disappear come championship. I see their full forward scored a hatfull and Doc was full back, i wonder what Art thinks?

Tipperary are shite:D

we should be building our defence arround him :smiley:

i forgot bout that trip alright… he might have felt they werent fully recouperated if only in the day before.

Early Kerrigan strike sparks Cork stroll
Cork 1-16 Wexford 0-7

Monday March 23 2009

CORK had 12 points to spare over Wexford in a disappointing game at Pairc Ui Chaoimh yesterday.

In a contest that rarely went above the intensity levels of a training game, Cork had it all their own way, and could have won by a lot more but for poor shooting, as Wexford, who remain pointless at the foot of the table, never posed a real threat.

Cork got off to a flyer when a Paul Kerrigan goal helped them to an early advantage, leading 1-3 to 0-0 before Diarmuid Kinsella got Wexford’s opening score in the 12th minute.

It was all one-way traffic in the first half, as time and again Cork opened up the visitors’ defence. Only good goalkeeping from Anthony Masterson kept the scoreline respectable as Cork led 1-8 to 0-3 at the break – a Graham Canty point following a 60-yard run the pick of the bunch.

After the restart, what little intensity there was, dropped further, as Wexford’s malaise seemed to have spread to their opponents, who were very sloppy at times and often failed to have runners in support of the man in possession in the final third.

Twice, Cork spurned good goal chances, Nicholas Murphy failing to get on the end of a Kerrigan ball across the goalmouth, and then Kerrigan himself shooting straight at Masterson after he had done well to get through the defence.

With talisman Matty Forde a bit off form, and looking slightly below full fitness, Wexford had little penetration in attack and, though they kept trying until the end, the comeback was never a possibility and Cork did enough to ensure sole ownership of top spot in the division.

Scorers – Cork: P Kerrigan 1-2, D Goulding 0-4 (1f, 1 '45), G Canty, P O’Flynn 0-2 each, A O’Connor, J Hayes, F Goold, J Masters, K O’Sullivan, B O’Regan 0-1 each. Wexford: S Cullen, C Lyng (1f) 0-2 each, A Flynn, C Morris, D Kinsella 0-1 each.

CORK – K Murphy; K O’Connor, R Carey, M Shields; G Canty, G Spillane, B O’Regan; A O’Connor, N Murphy; P O’Flynn, F Goold, P Kerrigan; D Goulding, M Cussen, J Hayes. Subs: K O’Sullivan for Cussen (13), J Masters for O’Sullivan (47), A O’Sullivan for A O’Connor (52), P Kissane for Shields (58), S O’Brien for Kerrigan (61), B Crowley for Murphy (65).

WEXFORD – A Masterson; D Carter, P Wallace, B Malone; C Morris, D Murphy, A Doyle; B Doyle, T Howlin; A Flynn, S Cullen, D Kinsella; G Molloy, M Forde, C Lyng.

Ref – M Meade

In fairness thats a shocking result against Iarmhi.I hope that defence is sorted out soon otherwise its curtains.The rise and rise of Dublin continues beating last years all ireland finalists.We on the other hand find it tough at home to Leinster rejects Iarmhi.FFS!:smiley:

Murtagh is a lovely hurler in fairness, he would walk onto any inter-county hurling team.

I was at The Pogues in the RDS before Christmas and I overheard the immortal line, ‘I’m Brendan Murtagh - I play hurling with Westmeath’. It was delivered by a lad to a group of birds up by the bar. Now, I’ve seen Murtagh play a couple of times and he seems decent enough but I wouldn’t have recognised him from Adam in the flesh. Another one of our number then confirmed that it was indeed him having recognised him from playing against him before. Anyway, I heard that he got 1-1 off Travers and 1-1 off Doc. 'Mon the fooking Wexford.

It was on News 2 there tonight that Willie Rackard has died. Sad stuff, he was the last one of the brothers.

Thats sad to hear. He’d only buried his brother John a couple of weeks ago. RIP.

Three legends, together again.
Bobby, Nickey, Billy.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/ImageGallery/rackardbros.jpg

said to hear…one of the great wexford gaa families … and will be remebered by all for years to come