Wexford GAA 2009

RIP to Willie Rackard, a noble family.

RIP, and there ends one of the great families of GAA

Sad news about Billy but I guess all greats from the past go eventually.

Thereā€™s a Jason Rackard coming up through the ranks, art. He plays with Duffry Rovers rather than Rathnure - think heā€™s a grand-nephew of the three boys.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Sad news about Billy but I guess all greats from the past go eventually.

Thereā€™s a Jason Rackard coming up through the ranks, art. He plays with Duffry Rovers rather than Rathnure - think heā€™s a grand-nephew of the three boys.[/quote]

Yeah, Big tall fella, not blessed with great skill but has potential.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Sad news about Billy but I guess all greats from the past go eventually.

Thereā€™s a Jason Rackard coming up through the ranks, art. He plays with Duffry Rovers rather than Rathnure - think heā€™s a grand-nephew of the three boys.[/quote]

Think youā€™re correct Bandage. As far as I know heā€™s a grandson of John whoā€™s family all live in Caim so hence why he plays for the Duffry. Heā€™s about 6ā€™4 and only about 19 or 20. Havenā€™t seen him play but know he was on the county minors a couple of years ago. Think he was only on the bench though. Any of the lads I was talking to about him werenā€™t that impressed. Said he needs to throw his size around a bit more.

didnā€™t know that bandage, hopefully he will be blessed with aimilar talent to the brothers, god knows we could do with them

Yeah, for the size of him he wasnā€™t great in the air.

No Hurling at the Dairy Door is a great hurling biog i would highly recommend it.

Bought it when it came out and didnā€™t get around to reading it for about 6 months and when i got half way through there was about 20 pages missing from the middle of the thing.

I would read any book of this generation they tell great life stories.
RIP

On behalf of all Leitrim folk allow to add my condolences on the passing of a hurling legend.

R.I.P. Billy Rackard.Nice man met him a couple of timesabout thirteen years ago.Ar aghaidh le Loch Garman.

Billy Rackard

A hurling great, a gentleman and also an excellent hurling analyst for the Wexford People newspaper.

Ar dheis D go raibh a anam.

Just posted this on Clarehurlers:

Iā€™m very sorry to hear this. There were three Rackard brothers who played hurling, Nicky, Bobby and Billy, but four brothers. John Rackard didnā€™t play to the same level. I knew John very well, he was a big racing man, and John actually passed away about 3 weeks ago, my Dad and some friends were actually with Billy at Johnā€™s funeral. John and his wife Nuala owned Rackards pub in Killane. Billy had suffered from Alzheimerā€™s for the last few years.

All gone now, but their legacy and legend lives on (and I include John in this, he was an absolute gentleman).

Ar dheis D go raibh a ainm.

Yeah heā€™s a friend of my cousins. His cousin Shane is another handy hurler.

[quote=ā€œMenapianā€]Billy Rackard

A hurling great, a gentleman and also an excellent hurling analyst for the Wexford People newspaper.

Ar dheis D go raibh a anam.[/quote]

Billy used to handwrite his match analysis and deliver them down to the People Office by Monday lunchtime. Computers/typewriters wouldnā€™t have been his scene. :smiley:

What a legendary family.

Trouble in Wexico?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/indiscipline-cost-wexford-duo-1684853.html

[quote=ā€œmyboyblueā€]Trouble in Wexico?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/indiscipline-cost-wexford-duo-1684853.html[/quote]

They turned up late for training in the middle of last week and were dropped. A few posts about it on the previous page.

Ah right, not like the Indo to be off the ball or nuthinā€¦:rolleyes:

[quote=ā€œFitzyā€]Just posted this on Clarehurlers:

Iā€™m very sorry to hear this. There were three Rackard brothers who played hurling, Nicky, Bobby and Billy, but four brothers. John Rackard didnā€™t play to the same level. I knew John very well, he was a big racing man, and John actually passed away about 3 weeks ago, my Dad and some friends were actually with Billy at Johnā€™s funeral. John and his wife Nuala owned Rackards pub in Killane. Billy had suffered from Alzheimerā€™s for the last few years.

All gone now, but their legacy and legend lives on (and I include John in this, he was an absolute gentleman).

Ar dheis D go raibh a ainm.[/quote]

Was it not the pub in Caim they owned Fitzy? Unless they owned both of them.

Ah yes The Hollow was owned by the Rackards,there was also an auctioneering business owned by one of them.

Lads, There were five brothers in the Rackard family - Nicky,Bobby,Billy,Jimmy and John. Bobby owned the pub in Killane which was sold a few years ago. John had the pub in Caim, Johns son Robert (Shanes father)now runs the pub and auctioneering business in Caim.