Wexford GAA 2012

…a 6 week gap? Really?

Anyone going to the attractive double header in Croke Park on Saturday evening?

5pm: Wicklow v Fermanagh (Division 4 Final)
7pm: Wexford v Longford (Division 3 Final)

I’ll probably wander in.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 637840”]Anyone going to the attractive double header in Croke Park on Saturday evening?

5pm: Wicklow v Fermanagh (Division 4 Final)
7pm: Wexford v Longford (Division 3 Final)

I’ll probably wander in.[/quote]
I may consider popping in to do some reconnai… looking at Glen Ryanspit’s Longford in advance of our ‘shock’ defeat at their hands shortly.

Masterson,
Tierney, Molloy, N Murphy,
Malone, D Murphy, Flynn,
Shore, Waters,
Barry, Lyng, Brosnan,
Morris, Bradley, Banville.

Nice coastal feel to our midfield pairing.

Not a single Sarsfields player on the team. FFS.

Is Andy Doyle injured?

He’s not listed in the subs so I take it that he’s injured all right. But I really think someone with a name as retarded as ‘Aindreas’ should be made to live with that shame and embarrassment. Not a chance I’ll ever refer to him as anything other than Aindreas Doyle.

even if he isnt id have malon and panther ahead of him, if malone would kick the ball more it would be better.

fwds prob line out as 3 lines of 2

bradley morris

red brosnan

lyng banville

banville had a bad flu according to a horeswood man i was talking to, still no excuse to get rolled over by gusserane

Jason Ryan in the Irish Independent today:

[b]

Standing the test of time[/b]

Saturday April 28 2012

[size=4]JASON RYAN has come a long way. In the winter of 2007, he was the virtually unknown 31-year-old who was handed the Wexford football job, but now he’s part of an ever-dwindling club that see out more than a couple of seasons in the same job at inter-county management.[/size]

Ryan guided Clongeen to their first county title and within a couple of months found himself preparing for Wexford’s All-Ireland campaign.

His maiden season in 2008 started with a Division 3 title, but they would be hammered by Dublin in the Leinster final before reaching the last four in the country, where they were beaten by eventual All-Ireland champions
Tyrone.

There have been highs and lows since, but Wexford football’s stock has risen along with Ryan’s to the point where he was among the leading candidates for the hurling manager’s job in his native Waterford after Davy Fitzgerald’s departure.

“No, I didn’t think I’d be here five years on,” admits the De La Salle clubman. "You just can’t think like that, particularly nowadays.

“Look at the work Val Andrews put into Cavan, Gerry Cooney[/url] in Offaly and [url=“http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/John_Evans”]John Evans in Tipperary and they are gone. When you’re winning and getting results everything is great, but when things go against you, it can turn very quickly. They say a player’s career is short – but a manager’s career is shorter.”

Ryan and Wexford have come full circle as they prepare for this evening’s Division 3 final against Longford at Croke Park. It’s a first return to headquarters since last year’s near miss against Dublin in the provincial final when Anthony Masterson’s misjudgment allowed Dublin off the hook.

That defeat was followed by their controversial loss to Limerick in the last-16, in a game that provided much of the momentum behind the clamour for the introduction of Hawk-Eye, the score-detection technology, when Ian Ryan was awarded a score that was far from clear on video replays.

“A lot is made of last year, maybe too much. Things didn’t go our way,” he explains. "Wexford have had some very difficult days since I came in and even before that, under Pat Roe and others, they lost crucial games for promotion where things went against them.

“But, whatever it is in the Wexford psyche, they keep coming back regardless of what happens. It’s ingrained in them.”

stylish

Wexford have carved out a reputation as one of the more stylish teams. They were the highest scorers in the top three divisions in the league (the presence of Kilkenny in Division 4 skewed the scoring average here) and, with forwards like Ciaran Lyng, Ben Brosnan, Redmond Barry and PJ Banville, they are a major threat. They have also been reinforced by some of last year’s Leinster-winning U-21 side.

Perhaps more crucially, the Model footballers are attracting more players to their cause who might have traditionally been expected to line out with the hurlers. The likes of John Lacey,Lee Chin, Michael O’Regan and Andrew Shore are concentrating exclusively on football this term with the possibility of a couple of big days in Croke Park. That’s something which makes the football panel a much more attractive proposition.

“I have noticed that I’m having more conversations with guys. It used to be a straight ‘no,’ but the conversations are longer now and it’s not so emphatic. It’s two codes and two identities who are trying to put out their best team and you are going to have cross-over. You just to do the best you can,” he says.

"I have seen it in Waterford. Growing up there, football was a minority sport, but the success of the hurlers under Gerald McCarthy and others meant that it’s gone from a minority sport to one that’s fighting for survival really.

“You can put all the money you want into coaching, but if your senior team is successful in a particular code, it
goes a very long way. All the kids will have their role models and that’s the game they will be drawn towards.”
Ryan hopes that game will be football – despite new GAA president Liam O’Neill’s recent assertion that it is “boring”.

“The great thing about football is its unpredictability. Fitness levels and physicality levels have levelled off and it’s increasingly coming down to one or two moments of magic. I was at the league semi-finals and there was some exceptional performances. Conor Laverty (for Down) was superb, a little guy, but he has all the skills. Conor Mortimer in the first 20 minutes was excellent. I think football is in great shape.”

With the first goal of promotion secured, Ryan’s championship preparation starts tonight. “It’s a cliche, but winning is a habit and we want to win the league and get into that mindset. After that, it’s about winning as many games as possible and go into the summer for as long as possible,” he asserts.

Sensational atmosphere here in Croke Park. Come on Wexford.

HT: Longford 1-10 Wexford 0-3.

Dire.

Attendance: 7,514. Mostly availing of free premium tickets.

FT: Longford 1-12 Wexford 0-13.

I was taken aback by how bad we were in the first half. It was a collective malaise. Really shit. No intensity. Crap workrate. Awful decision making.

Fair enough, we improved in the second half but it was very disappointing overall. I think we need to be able to play a more direct style on occasion and the 2-2-2 system upfront has become a bit predictable.

Surprised that Michael O’Regan wasn’t brought on.

Wexford lacked, oddly for them, passion and urgency. They continue to have 2, what I’d call at that level, good quality forwards in Lyng and Barry. Banville and Brosnan looked off the pace completely. Midfield was abysmal, so bad that even McElvaney looked good for Longford. The backs, apart from Molloy’s mighty dunt on Barden, were insignificant…too loose and spoiling possession far too easily.

In further news on the match, Albert Reynolds must have slipped the referee an envelope, cos’ he rode Wexford…

Both shite. Laois most likely worse. Shite summer ahead.

pretty much sums it up alright. O Regan had his tracksuit top off and was about to come on with about 10 mins left but then wasnt brought on. Thought he would have been an option to target at full forward and feed off that. Some awful defending and just really look uninterested in the first half. Promotion was the main thing to be honest, but it would have been good to win it.

I heard that O’Regan is about to be cut from the panel. He’s meant to be completely unfit and failed a fitness test a few weeks back.

Difficult to believe when they seemed ready to bring him on at one point yesterday.

Ref was dire. Molloy batted one ball away in the last ten minutes and a free in was given.

Jason Ryan is meant to be very big into attention to detail so I assume he’ll sit down with the team to watch the video of that. A load of them should be seriously embarrassed with their workrate when they watch it back.

If we’re going to play with all four of Brosnan, Banville, Barry and Lyng then the two who are playing further away from goal can’t simply ignore their defensive responsibilities in the 2-2-2 formation. And the inside two need to actually make some fucking runs and, wild suggestion I know, maybe make themselves available for the ball.

A lot of our concessions, even the goal, came from us turning the ball over in the tackle. A mixture of bizarrely carrying the ball into tackles when there were options to move the ball quickly or, more often, there was literally nobody making an effort to get into space and the ball carrier was swallowed up and coughed up the ball.

One of our midfielders who was called ashore (ignore the pun) must have been directly at fault for several points - standing on the '45 and allowing his direct man to ghost / stroll / jog past him repeatedly. Their number 7 also had a field day coming forward with Eric Bradley nowhere to be seen in tracking him. Colm Morris is a great leader and has been a superb player for us but not sure what point there is playing him if we’re going to ask him to stand on the touchline and jog up and down it like a rugby football winger.

There were occasions where we had extra men in defence but they were still able to work it through us all the way up the field with considerable ease and that’s because those further out weren’t working hard enough to track runs - the exact same as the Limerick qualifier defeat last summer. And don’t anyone tell me that the likes of Michael Hanrahan and Brendan Mulligan of Sarsfields GFC aren’t better defenders than a couple of our defenders yesterday.

It was absolute rubbish. Might act as a wake-up though, I guess.

Tierney was dire, Lee Chin has to start from now on, he was among our best yesterday, David Murphy was class.

In the forwards only Lyng and PJ were really showing for the ball. Paddy Byrne was excellent at wing forward when he came on, far better than any of the displays he’s been giving at corner forward. Brosnan was awful as well.

There a severe lack of basic intelligence from our midfielders in open play as well.

Someone please tell me this isn’t true

He got on a load of ball and ran at them without doing anything stupid. I was shocked too.

It really was one of those days though, Shane Roche had his annual good game as well.

thoughts on saturdays game.

we have major problems with both corner back, tierney got destroyed didnt get out in fornt for one ball.

andrew shore is not a midfielder at this standard. he looked unfit and lazy int the middle.

we need to take better shot selection especially when dealing with compacted defences, we lost an awful lot of ball needlessly in the first half, there was an air of complacency about the team.

masterson had no cause to come off his line for the goal, the fwd was still 16 yds out with chin bearing down on him, he gave him a chance of slotting it past him

We didnt create a clear goal chance in the whole game, damning stat.

Any ttuth in the rumour that reagan failed a fitness test o f late and is close to being cuilled?