Wexford GAA 2012

great point bando (obviously you know this) but to be whinging thats theres not enough of a financial reward for players, and then suggesting that the gaa curtail one of their main revenues. Looks like he learned what he knows about business from his mentor…

And trying to make a few quid by hocking a pair of copa’s on twitter. The simpleton.

i realise i just worded your point differently bandage, in my defence i have not yet had my coffee…

As an aside, I think we’ll get the shit kicked out of us at the weekend. Dublin and Kildare are going / gone to a higher level and I think we’re starting to regress. We’re still ahead of other Leinster sides like Westmeath, Louth and Longford or whoever but we’re closer to them than we are to Dublin and Kildare at the other side. I predict Dublin 2-17 Wexford 0-11 or something like that.

I think we’ll have a decent chance if David Murphy is back. That would probably see Malone go corner back at Murphy’s expense. Immediately this would eliminate the exposure to our full back line that was so evident in the Longford games.

Dublin’s midfield is as poor as ours so it would essentially make it a task for us to break down the Dublin defence, they’re not getting back in the same numbers as they were for the last two games. We also have the added bonus of two tough games under our belts whereas they had a walk in the park against Louth.

We will probably have to score two goals to be in with a shout and it’s worrying that we’re not creating more chances here, even getting into the area to try and force a few penalties would be something.

from ww.wexfordgaa.ie, but the team hasnt been announeced to the players as yet.

1. Anthony Masterson 2. Rob Tierney 3. Greame Molloy 4. Brian Malone 5. Adrian Flynn 6. David Murphy 7. Lee Chin 8. Daithi Waters 9. Rory Quinlivan 10. Paddy Byrne 11. Shane Roche 12. Ben Brosnan 13. Ciaran Lyng 14 Eric Bradley 15. Redmond Barry

Am I reading that right, the players found out the team the same time as everyone else? Or is it a dummy team and players have yet to be told real one?

Would have expected PJ to start ahead of Roche.

Suppose this is Ryan’s usual tactic of naming the squad and deciding on the starting team on Thursday or Friday night though.

thats the team on the website. But no team has been given to players.

I will be heading to see us against the Scallion Eaters tomorrow in Wexford Park. Nervous about it but Laois did beat these lads earlier by 7 points. Not bothered about heading to see the footballers.

will be haeding to watch the footballers put one over on the dubs…how realistic this i dont know…we are shadow of last years team, trying desperately to recover form, but theres a chance with dublins orthodox play and no blanket defence.

Father Tedesque “Wexford says no to racism” signs pinned up behind each goal here in Wexford Park. :lol:

Pretty poor display by Wexford. Execution of basics was well below par all over the field. Goals by Jacob (2) and the subs Jack Guiney and Gary Moore.

Heading off the Dublin for the match now. Hope ta fuck we don’t get hockeyed. Gwan the Yellabellies!

Feelings of optimism creeping in and cannot help but feel that Longford’s win v Derry augurs well for us.

Wexford by two.

For fucks. Another game against Dublin we threw away. The All Ireland champions were there for the taking and we forgot how to put the ball over the bar. Not good.

Turns out noticing the signs behind the goals when I got into the ground yesterday was the highlight of my Wexford GAA experience this weekend. It promised so much more…

hate to be harsh on underdog teams but wexfords failure to win that game was shocking . all the focus will of course fall on the free taker but he is far from on his own. why the hell didnt someone like barry or banville get on the ball and get a score or win a free close to goals. flynn kicked brutal wides as well, how old is roche? could he not have come over and taken the frees off brosnan without waiting to be told to do it. jason ryan has taken wexford as far as he can. time for him to move on to meath (assuming glen ryan is the new kildare manager in waiting). meath would be a perfect fit for ryan

A strange kind of a game yesterday and not dissimilar to last year’s Leinster Final. Ryan again set Wexford up to play a slow tempo, low intensity, controlled game in the first half because it’s clear he thinks Dublin thrive on momentum and look to bury teams in Leinster early on with fast paced, high octane football. So we were happy to hold onto the ball and move it sideways and backwards before choosing our moments to inject some pace into the play and surge forward.

We were perhaps aided by a bit of complacency from Dublin with their workrate well below last year’s level and they didn’t put much pressure on the ball carrier in terms of tackling and therefore allowed us to play at our own pace for the first half. We had time and room to kick some excellent points from distance through Brosnan (x2), Flynn and Banville which put us in a strong position and Lyng had the space to play some nice passes from his deeper role for Barry’s goal and Banville’s point.

That said, we still relied on them missing chances at times and we gave up another raft of goal chances despite them not playing too well. We struggled with the defensive match ups in our inside line at times but I guess you’re going to get that playing the All Ireland champions. Malone will be disappointed with the first goal - not sure how he got caught wrong side and he could have taken Connolly down for a free before he got into the large square. Molloy made a few mistakes including the second goal and I’m not sure a marking job on McManamon was the best way to utilise an attack minded player like Lee Chin, especially when McManamon took him close to our goal.

So it’s a weird one - Dublin didn’t get much return, if any, from a fair few of their forwards but still scored 2-11 and forced Masterson into 3 good saves. Our half back line did well and midfield was okay overall, even though MacAuley made a difference for them. PJ Banville covered acres of ground and consistently got himself back into defensive covering positions to augment the midfield and defence but it was unfortunate that he gave away the ball so regularly after winning it.

Unfortunately it all came down to us not seeing the game through after getting into the position to win it. 11 second half wides and no score for the last 22 minutes pretty much tells its own story. It’s hard not to conclude that a lack of nerve cost us when you consider that and the fact they had been reduced to 14 men. Brosnan’s free taking deserted him but there were other poorly executed attempts at scores from a wide range of players. Not sure if the TV showed it but Barry was looking to take the third of Brosnan’s 3 missed second half dead balls but Brosnan waved him away.

I’m going to finish this post now.

Why would Glen Ryan moving to Kildare have any bearing on the Wexford or Meath managerial positions if he is in your opinion due to move to Kildare?