Wexford GAA 2012

if glen ryan does not move to kildare then jason ryan might be an option for them. this is pretty basic baseless internet managerial speculation material mbb. dunce hat for you

[quote=“twiceasnice97, post: 638259”]

if glen ryan does not move to kildare then jason ryan might be an option for them. this is pretty basic baseless internet managerial speculation material mbb. dunce hat for you[/quote]
Oh yea, thats really cleared it up alright :rolleyes:

As for the hurling on Saturday, it was a really poor performance. It was 0-5 to 0-4 to Carlow after around 25 minutes and they were after missing a clear goal chance too. Wexford lacked any kind of fluency or sharpness and Carlow were more often than not winning the physical exhanges and emerging with possession. The intensity wasn’t there at all and it was pretty disappointing to play the first half in such a pedestrian manner - you would be more forgiving of them starting well, burying Carlow and then easing off at the end.

There were flashes of decent hurling with short stick passing, support runners, good use of the handpass and decent movement in the combinations for the 3 second half goals but our striking, first touch and shooting was way below par for long spells. It was a collective malaise at times with balls being mishit, handpasses going behind runners, pick ups being botched etc and we would have been severely punished by a better team than them.

It was just too sloppy and you’d want us to be much more clinical and assured ahead of upcoming games - knowing that we were always going to win is not really an excuse. We also gave away silly scores and frees again - Rossiter throwing the ball up and catching it, Kenny catching the ball 3 times for example. Some of the free concessions were of the phantom variety though in fairness - Anthony Stapleton handled the game in a rather bizarre manner.

Pretty embarrassing to be outpointed at home to Carlow all the same - you’d really want to be raising 20+ white flags against them. Not too many positives really. Richie Kehoe was our best player and was good and forceful all through. O’Hanlon was solid under the high ball after the early goal chance and Eoin Moore was tidy enough. Rory Jacob took his goals well.

Jesus they were cringe alright.

Rather amusingly I’ve just read one of the Wexford footballers complain, with the utmost respect, about the rating he received from Dean Goodison for Sunday’s effort.

:lol:

Fuckin hell.

Without checking I’d guess it’s Panther?
After that, possibly Doyle

Pantero I think is how it goes. Would a random reporters opinion bother someone that much?

Would you bother get your hands on the Wexford people that quickly after getting a sickening defeat?

id disagree with some of goodisons ratings, i really dont think the man has a clue…

That’s fairly funny actually.

Goodison’s ratings

[font=Verdana][size=3]

Anthony Masterson 8: Two shots went past the Castletown man but he had no chance with either. Calm and dominant, made several superb saves to keep Wexford competitive.
Brian Malone 5: Connolly was giving the Shelmaliers man the run around until he lost the head and struck out. Did try to get involved as the loose man.
Graeme Molloy 5: Way down on his level from last year. Dreadful error when misjudging flight for second goal, the turning point of the contest. Still, doesn’t receive enough support.
Aindreas Doyle 6: Good to have the wing-back returning to the line-up. Was steady in possession and defended reasonably well. Will improve with game time.
Lee Chin 7: Like the rest of the defence, Chin got beaten at times but was tighter than most around him. Did well on Brogan and is turning into an automatic choice.
David Murphy 7: Another man returning and it was a tough ask to come back in against the All-Ireland champions. Did well and Wexford are certainly a better side with him in defence.
Adrian Flynn 6: ‘Panther’ was, as always, a thorn in the Dublin defence going forward but got caught more often defensively and in turn it put the full-back line under pressure.
DaithĂ­ Waters 7: Much improved in possession - only one real brain freeze. Is always strong in the tackle and a real worker, complimented attack well at times on Sunday.
P.J. Banville 5: Did positive work in possession in the first-half but his shooting was all over the place. Struggled even more so after the break which affected his decisionmaking.

Colm Morris 7: The experienced man rarely put a foot wrong in possession. The lost step of pace did result in his marker breaking free several times but more positives than negatives.
Shane Roche 6: Actually has excellent workrate and defends well from the front. Link play has improved with games this championship but shooting still hot and cold.
Ben Brosnan 6: Started with four misses in a row before bursting to life with some fantastic scores. However, the shameless boo-boys got in his head and three missed placed balls saw Wexford belief drain.
Ciarán Lyng 6: Didn’t look 100 per cent after his recent injury and came off early. Linked play well at times but often took the wrong option and struggled to get into space.
Eric Bradley 6: Played even deeper than usual but it’s not a foreign position for the Adamstown man. Did a decent job to help his side more than hold their own in midfield.
Redmond Barry 8: The ’ old man’ was fantastic again. The only pity was more ball didn’t go to him, especially late on. Took the goal so well and a calm head when others were losing theirs.
Paddy Byrne 6: Usual determination from Byrne and must wonder when he’ll get a chance to shine from the start. Probably deserves a go at this stage. Rest: not on long enough.
Jason Ryan ( manager): Got the team and tactics right from the start, stifled Dublin again and went in ahead. Probably took too long to make changes but could do little about those out there and the fear they played with in the final 20 minutes.[/size][/font]

Though I’m admittedly biased towards Molloy rating him 5 for one error in a game that he shut out Bernard Brogan is beyond stupid.

Shane Roche has the work rate of something with a very low work rate.

I disagree about Molloy shutting out Brogan - Brogan got inside him a number of times and was pretty wasteful. Brogan doesn’t seem to enjoy being marked by Molloy all the same and snatched at a few kicks. Still, it’s Bernard Brogan he was marking and I’d say a 6 would be fair enough for Molloy. There’s a few other strange bits and pieces in those ratings - to name a couple: Chin picked up McManamon for the game rather than either Brogan and I’d say Shane Roche’s workrate and tackling from the front would be a weakeness rather than a strength.

jesus, goodison has no balls.

Lyng with 6!!! (enough exclamation marks?) he made our attack tick sprayed wonderful ball around the pitch, its no shock that when he went off we went out of it…paddy byrne gets the same as him? fuck off.

morris with 7? fiar enough he covered well…but what else did he do? seems form the above “analysis” that anyone over the age of 30 got good marks and no one else did.

Chin gets 7… his man scored 1-4, cant balme him for the goal though. he wasnt marking brogan…

I trust croppy means shut out aas in kept him scoreless rather than prevent him form getting chances, 6 would be fair, he had a good game, but one bad error affects the rating.

This is a new low. Discussing a journalists ratings who is effectively a supporter. Ffs sake. oh he was a 5. No a 6. Ffs sake. Who gives a fuck. Apart from Flynn clearly.

well considering i posted about it, i clearly give a fuck.

Sincere apologies Appendage. I was trying to broaden the discussion away from the specific journalist’s ratings to a wider discussion around rating GAA performance.

The Wexford lads ( Appendage aside) are making fools of themselves here

You James’ lads are ridiculously biased. Molloy is an excellent player but Sunday didn’t go well for him at all. BB won enough ball to destroy us.

Full and corner back are extremely difficult positions to play in inter county football so an off day is really noticed.

Noticed that. Well done mate.

Thanks pal. Think an ‘at least my man didn’t score’ attitude still prevails in GAA to a large degree, even though an error may have directly led to scores finished off by someone else. Professional sportsmen get tetchy about things journalists write about them so I guess it’s hardly a surprise to see GAA players reading papers to see what’s been written about them. Still funny seeing him tweet the reporter though.