Wexford GAA 2012

Sick.

At least lie hurlers showed some fight, no determination with the footballers…

If brosnan was able to come on why not start him…

Morris and Carty? Not going to win anything with them in the half forward line.

Masterson needs a smack.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App

Footballers - bad.

Hurlers - something to build on.

Liam Dunne should be making moves now to ensure Lee Chin and Ciaran Lyng commit to hurling next year.

What was the footballers starting XV? Hadn’t realised that Brosnan didn’t start as only saw 2nd half.

That’s too many games this team have thrown away. Attitude seems all wrong. Maybe time for a new voice in charge.

Some encouraging hurling performances but marking around the middle was awful. Cork always seemed to have players in acres of space mopping up ball or available for short passes. Our first touch is still not good enough.

Eh should this thread not be closed now. Useless cunts :lol:

Jaysus even the Leitrim lads are taking the piss…

Jesus the footballers were bad. Very flat performance, weird team selection and the wrong tactics cost us badly. We got cleaned out a midfield, the backs kept getting isolated one on one and the forwards were way too laboured. Just play a three man full forward line and let the ball in quick! This 2 - 2 set up in the forwards is crazy when playing the likes of Tipp. I feel the Kevin Kehoe era may be upon us soon.

The hurlers had a mixed bag. Started well and never lost the head in the first half when things went against them. Cork missed a hatful of scoreable points which kind of kept us in it. In the second half Cork looked physically stronger and their first touch was so much better than ours. A 10 point loss, but definite signs of improvement from the hurlers. I think Dunne might be around for a while.

Didn’t think a 10-point defeat was a fair reflection of yesterday’s game. But it shows we’re still quite a way off the pace because I didn’t think Cork were too impressive yet they still scored 17 points in the second half.

Probably a mixture of our fitness and conditioning not being comparable to other teams (nobody doing gym programmes under Colm Bonnar :lol: ), them having an extra bit of class and our own inexperience / mistakes.

Positives to take from it though in terms of our brand of hurling at times and our use of the ball to create chances and some of the individual performances.

I thought Eoin Moore had a solid game in the corner and Jack Guiney, albeit a bit raw at times, won good primary possession and knocked over a couple of decent scores from play.

Luke O’Farrell scored 2-1 but the second goal was all on Eanna Martin and I thought Matt O’Hanlon had a sound game and has developed into a very good full back (he should have cynically dragged down O’Farrell for a free for the first goal).

Garrett Sinnott scored 1-2 and has ball winning and finishing ability but I think he needs to be more prominent and industrious. I think it’s in him to become a very good player though.

Rory Jacob had Cahalane in all sorts of trouble but only came away with 0-3. A decent return but he was there to be taken to the cleaners.

Paul Morris couldn’t escape the clutches of the excellent Brian Murphy but he actually played some clever passes to oncoming runners - one for Quigley’s goal chance in the first half and another for one of Harry Kehoe’s points.

Lyng took his goal superbly and the two line balls were tremendous, especially the second one from 65 yards +. The neutral GAA fan really loves a pointed line ball.

The likes of Liam Og McGovern (lovely point when he first came on) and Shaun Murphy (nice blood sub cameo and assist for Lyng’s goal) will be important players next year.

I think the goalkeeping position needs to be looked at. Eanna Martin plays outfield for his club and I think there’s better keepers in Wexford in terms of shot stopping and being secure under the high ball. If he’s selected for his distribution then that’s questionable too as his deliveries cost us a couple of points yesterday as well as the error for the second goal.

We need to get going on whatever the fuck strength and conditioning programmes the more successful counties do too. They overran us at the end and we also gave away frees for over carrying and delivered poor passes on occasion because we’re not strong enough to break through tackles and bring pressure on ourselves as a result. I’d be getting Kev to prepare personalised programmes for all the players and monitor them for the rest of the summer and through the autumn and into winter.

Hopefully Jason Ryan will fuck off now too and that vacuum should allow Dunne to get Chin, Shore, Lyng and whoever involved. But he needs to actually go and speak to them rather than give ‘everyone should want to hurl for the county’ quotes to the papers. We lack size and struggled aerially yesterday for large parts and the likes of Shore would help to remedy that. Chin’s class would be ideal for midfield and complement David Redmond’s ‘box to box’ style.

All in all, progress was made this year and we’re still on course to win an All Ireland by 2015.

Quality report there Bandage. Although I’d lessen any optimism considering Cork are awful and played awfully. You are definitely going to need lads like Chin involved, seriously lack presence in the middle third. I’d disagree on O’Hanlon though, thought O’Farrell gave him an awful doing.

Is Liam Dunne capable of putting a bit of steel into ye’re hurling team lads? Some smashing hurlers but nowhere near enough power in the team.

Bizarrely flat performance by the footballers yesterday. Strange selection by Jason Ryan yesterday picking a team devoid of size and having Morris and Carty in the half forward line, moving Flynn to midfield and leaving Bradley and Brosnan out. Both came on - were they carrying injuries?

We did the same things I’ve been complaining about all season and gave away another plethora of goal chances. Awful application at times - simply not bothering to track opposition runs and allowing them have overlaps. The goal conceded being a case in point.

Masterson tried a shortish kick-out aimed at Waters breaking to the wing but under hit it. Malone was forced to go up for it in the half back line but got outjumped and landed awkwardly. Waters, who should have covered the prone Malone, simply ignored the #12 and he ghosted past him and eventually got on the end of the move.

We went from 0-2 apiece to 1-6 to 0-2 down and we were just sloppy and careless. There was a touch of complacency about Lyng’s attempted chip over the keeper when Morris played him clean through at 0-2 all too. Take it around the fat, likeable keeper or drill it past him rather than try a dainty scoop finish. We then struggled to win primary possession for a while - not surprising with a load of small gentlemen playing for us and they got a run of scores.

Our marking alignment was again a bit strange. I thought Aindreas Doyle would have been more suited to do a marking job than Lee Chin and the latter would have flourished more in an attacking wing back role.

We also had Adrian Flynn shooting every time he got the ball even when he was inside his own half or on the sideline on his bad foot. Throwing the ball up in lads’ faces and getting blocked down. Seemingly overly keen to get a point or two for himself to get better than a rating of 6 from Dean Goodison in the local paper this week.

Graeme Molloy likes to play full back from the front and has had a few good seasons for us. But he needs to know when to stand off and shadow a player. He gave up a number of scores from over committing yesterday. Masterson didn’t help on a few occasions either with kick-outs and that strange piece of play in the corner for their final point.

Jason Ryan will probably move on now. Good.

:lol: the sad thing is there is probably more than an element of truth in it too.

not sure how a 10 point defeat to a very average Cork team can be judged positively. Losing to Tipperary in football is just shocking.

[quote=“KIB man, post: 638350”]

the sad thing is there is probably more than an element of truth in it too.

not sure how a 10 point defeat to a very average Cork team can be judged positively. Losing to Tipperary in football is just shocking.[/quote]

Why is losing to tipp in football shocking? This tipp team have been building and have some very good footballers. They’ve been unlucky in that they’ve drawn kerry 3 years on the trot. Very hard to motivate yourself for that. Underage they’ve been consistently getting to munster finals in minor and under 21 since 2007. Again coming up against cork or Kerry teams who’ve gone on to all Ireland’s at that level. They’ve a much better underage record recently than Wexford.

Jason Ryan has confirmed in the Examiner today that Brosnan and Bradley were carrying injuries. He referenced the Division 3 League Final where we started lads who hadn’t trained and suffered from it. He said Brosnan tore his hamstring since the Dublin game but that was only 2 weeks ago and he was deemed fit enough to come on. A bit strange.

I wouldn’t say it’s shocking that we lost to Tipperary but it was quite a surprise all the same. Obviously they’ve had their underage success but it usually takes a while to translate that into senior and they also had the turmoil of changing manager a couple of months ago. Our team has broadly been together under Ryan for 5 years and has got to two Leinster Finals and taken a few other scalps along the way like Armagh and Galway. We also won the Leinster Under 21 last year but Ryan was perhaps a bit slow to bring through some of these players.

All that said, we have gone out to Roscommon, Limerick and Tipperary in 3 of the last 4 years and bottom of Division 2 / top of Division 3 is probably our level now. It would be best for Wexford GAA if we concentrate on having a good club championship and ignore inter-county football to instead focus on hurling.

That’s the plan alright I’m hearing. All the time aiming at next year or two rather than this one so getting this far was a bonus. Think he has them doing a fitness test this week which means he’s already planning individual training programmes for them I’d say, hopefully to bulk up a bit.

Hopefully that’s the end of this football craic now too. Had a good 6/7 year lash at it - time to pack it in altogether. All focus and funding on the hurling from now on.

I think Wexford’s hurlers only started training last January and did no real Strength and conditioning work last winter. You would feel that there would be a decent bit of scope for improvement for them with a decent winter or two behind them in this regard but it is a tough gap to bridge. They will need a win next year in Leinter or the qualifiers to get a bit of a feel good factor going and get the lads who are picking football back to the hurling. Credit where credit is due to Dunne, the hurling and support play Wexford played this year is light years ahead of the shit Colm Bonnar had them playing

Wexford seem to have come on a bit under Dunne alright, but it’s from a very low base. I can honestly say the performance they put in against Limerick last year was the worst I have seen from an “established” inter county side in years.

Please refer yourself to Limerick v Clare in the 2006 qualifiers.

Lads if Kevin Kehoe gets the football job ye may give up on the hurling. I look forward to seeing Matthew O’Hanlon at centre forward next year :clap:

Liam Dunne was appointed in the second or third week of November and he still had the Leinster Club Final against Coolderry to negotiate as Oulart manager so we were immediately playing catch up. Hopefully, as Pikeman mentions, they’re kicking on with personalised programmes now so we’re starting from a much better base next season. Our hurling improved markedly on previous years though.