Wexford GAA 2012

[quote=“mickee321, post: 638538”]will according to Monkey Allen under 28.5 points be scored?
[/quote]

Well it’s 2-9 to 0-6 with around 5 minutes left so it’s looking good.

cheers mate

2-10 to 2-7 now.

?
2-12 to 0-8 according to powers

My mistake pal.

must be the wind down there

Full Time: St Anne’s 2-14 Castletown 0-8.

outstanding tipping by monkey allen :clap: :clap: :clap: :pint:

An outstanding training/coaching/managing feat by Sarsfields’ Mark Foley to lead St Anne’s to the county title. The Aidan O’Brien rumours are strong but I still retain hope that the next county management set up will be a Tony Dempsey, Mark Foley and Ger Halligan dream team.

Thanks, couldn’t see anyway a 29th point would be scored.

Red Barry gave an exhibition by all accounts and the half time subs of David O’Connor and Franny Simpson were also to the fore.

Bandage, in reply to your earlier question, I would rate Aidan O’Brien very highly. Up there with Rocko as the best manager I’ve played under. Like Rocko, the players will enjoy playing for him and I think the appointment might mean a few older players will stay on for another year.

[quote=“Monkey Allen, post: 638548”]Bandage, in reply to your earlier question, I would rate Aidan O’Brien very highly. Up there with Rocko as the best manager I’ve played under. Like Rocko, the players will enjoy playing for him and I think the appointment might mean a few older players will stay on for another year.
[/quote]

Not sure we need another players’ man - I think we need someone ruthless like Ger Halligan. Remember when he took over after JJ Barrett decked Michael Curley and he was quick to sideline the likes of Philip Tubritt and Derek O’Reilly? Think he made them train on their own. We need that iron fist approach - we’re too soft.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 638549”]

Not sure we need another players’ man - I think we need someone ruthless like Ger Halligan. Remember when he took over after JJ Barrett decked Michael Curley and he was quick to sideline the likes of Philip Tubritt and Derek O’Reilly? Think he made them train on their own. We need that iron fist approach - we’re too soft.[/quote]

Aye, always need a manager who won’t hesitate to clear out that kind of dead wood

Didn’t they then lose to Longford by 11 or 12 points in the championship after that hard line stance?

Short term pain for long term gain.

Delighted for the Annes, fair play to them. Former county hurler David Doc O Connor was involved in an altercation with Anthony Masterson, didnt hit him half hard enough. Red has had a super year for club and county, would hope he keeps on with the county side.

And if there any lurkers or even froum members on here from the Rathangan club, congrats on a fine win.

As for Aidan O Brien, am surprised he is taking over. He is probably going to be principal of GCC in the very short future, and he had taken a backseat on football matters when he was appointed vice principal.

I think he will struggle to get players onside after Ryans departure. He is an excellent manager, and a good players man, but after reading comments like this:

Goodbye wexford football if it’s true.

Very bad move. He’s a good man with a bunch of chaps in the council, h’wood had a serious team back when they won all the county titles, he’s not the man for the job I believe. I’m prob being harsh on him, he’s a good coach and a nice fella but senior inter county management is way way out of his league

I hope its not true, if it is I won’t be wearing the purple and gold next year

I’ve spoke to a player and he’s apparently been told that aidan will not be getting it and that an outside man will be getting it, and the players will be happy with the choice. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

and this from a current first 15 player, its one of those occasions where it wouldnt matter who took over, the players have some sort of loyalty to a manager who has departed and I cant see some of them keeping the same work rate next year.

Where’s that quote from Gman?

some sports discussion page on facebook. I dont follow any of them on twitter so probably why you wouldnt have seen it yourself. will pm you the link there.

If it’s a Gusserane lad, save yourself the energy

I’d appreciate a pm on that Gman.

From this week’s Wexford People

A MAN WITH A PLAN

[font=Verdana][size=3]

AIDAN O’BRIEN will turn his attention to the likelihood of big championship days in Croke Park once he is formally ratified as the new Wexford Senior football manager at a County Board meeting tonight (Tuesday).
Yet, when we spoke on Sunday morning last the 49-year-old Westmeath native was about as far removed from the limelight as a G.A.A. person can be, having coached the Adamstown Under-10 team in their narrow loss to Kilmore in the annual Sarsfields tournament in PĂĄirc Charman.
Aidan’s son, RĂșairĂ­, is a promising player at that level, and the Vice-Principal of Good Counsel College in New Ross admitted that family considerations made him think long and hard before allowing his name to be put forward as Jason Ryan’s successor. ‘I had mixed feelings when I was first approached. I was conscious of the huge commitment involved primarily from a family point of view,’ explained the new manager who is married to Michele and also has three daughters - Aine, Ellen and Catherine.
‘By the same token, it was an honour to be considered, and after weighing up everything I decided to take it on. It’s a big challenge as Wexford football has operated to a good standard for a number of years, going back to the days of Pat Roe and Paul Bealin, and of course being taken on then by Jason Ryan.
‘They got to a particular standard and maintained it, so the objective would be to hold that position and try to move it forward too, to see if we can create further improvement and move further up the food chain.
‘I’m not under any illusions regarding intercounty level where the margins are so fine. We have no sense of entitlement and we cannot afford to take any opponent for granted. It’s going to be tough, but we will be doing our very best,’ stressed O’Brien who knows that major advances have been made in team preparation since his sole previous involvement with the Seniors - a one-year stint way back in 1988 when he assisted his Good Counsel colleague, Brian Teague, who was manager at the time.
Ironically, O’Brien decided to return to play at inter-county level with Westmeath the following year and helped his home county to victory over Wexford in the Leinster championship in Mullingar.

His native clubs are St. Malachy’s in football and Castletown-Geoghegan in hurling, and his nephew, Niall O’Brien, is the 17-year-old scoring sensation who lined out at corner-forward against Liam Dunne’s Wexford in this year’s All-Ireland qualifiers.

The new boss hasn’t had much time to digest the Leinster championship draw for 2013 which will pit Wexford against the winners of the Laois v. Louth first round tie. A victory there would set up a semi-final against Meath, Wicklow or Longford, with Dublin and Kildare the two heavy-hitters on the opposite side of the draw.

His immediate goal is to finalise a strong backroom team and he pointed out that this will take a lot of time and energy initially.

A man noted for his thorough approach and excellent training methods, O’Brien has lived in Co. Wexford since September, 1986. He initially built his footballing reputation in partnership with Kevin Kehoe as they guided Good Counsel to a string of Leinster ‘A’ successes in all three grades, culminating in that glorious day in 1999 when St. Jarlath’s of Tuam were beaten in the All-Ireland Senior final in Croke Park.

A former player with the Gusserane and Adamstown clubs, he also served as a mentor with both and brought the black and ambers from Junior champions in 1995 to a Senior county final appearance in 1997. Then it was on to Horeswood who won two of their three county Senior finals during his spell in charge. He spent the past two seasons with Geraldine O’Hanrahans, Junior champions last year and Intermediate ‘A’ semi-finalists at their first attempt in 2012.
O’Brien’s impressive C.V. also includes guiding Wexford to the Leinster Under-21 championship final in 2008. With a subsequent stint in charge of the county Minors also under his belt, he will be well acquainted with the talent available to him and is considered a shrewd and popular choice for this most demanding job.[/size][/font]