Wexford GAA 2012

Blaming Chin for a goal when he lost the ball at half way. Clown.

[quote=ā€œAppendage, post: 638579ā€]

Blaming Chin for a goal when he lost the ball at half way. Clown.[/quote]

Touche-ish. However, 1) I did not apportion blame for the goal in my post - I merely pointed out a weakness in the young manā€™s impressive armoury and 2) Tony Regan coughed up possession well into Kilkenny territory and not at halfway.

[quote=ā€œBandage, post: 638580ā€]

Touche-ish. However, 1) I did not apportion blame for the goal in my post - I merely pointed out a weakness in the young manā€™s impressive armoury and 2) Tony Regan coughed up possession well into Kilkenny territory and not at halfway.[/quote]

Commiserations Bandage!

At least Oulart have some experience against Purple and Gold opponents ahead of the clash v Kilmacud.

Any Harriers players that should definitely be on county starting 15 next year? Any decent oulart forwards apart from sinnott over 6 ft in height?

Richie Kehoe was excellent at 6. Frank Cullen got no joy on him and they moved Garrett Sinnott in there for a brief first half spell to no avail too. Oulart withdrew Cullen at half time and Paul Roche came in and caused a bit of disruption but Kehoe remained very impressive and should have a spot in the Wexford half back line again next year.

Chin hurled pretty well in the first half at half back on Sinnott and has buckets of natural ability. A few poor decisions and a little bit of wayward shooting in the second half but heā€™s well capable of excelling for Wexford.

Midfield was a strange one. Jim Berry broke his thumb early on but played on and was much more prominent than Eoin Moore, who was taken off. Kevin Gore and David Redmond were marking each other and each had periods of dominance. Gore knocked over at least 4 and possibly 5 quality points from play and could be worth a look.

Did Gore play full forward for the footballers in the league a few years back? Am I reading it right that you think Roche should be in the half back line? Would have always thought he was far too immobile for there. What would be your county team now if everyone was available?

Very disappointed about the intermediate final.

No, Mac. Roche came on at half time for Oulart and went in centre forward to try to curb Kehoeā€™s influence. I was saying Kehoe should be right half back or centre back for Wexford again next season.

Gore got a brief look in with the footballers around Oā€™Byrne Cup time either this year or last. Mainly plays around the middle third / half forward line.

Would need to think about the hurling team a bit more.

Re Oulartā€™s forwards; from 10-15 they lined up: Sinnott, Cullen, Mythen, Jacob, Murphy, Kirwan. Three are fairly small alright. Sinnott is already involved in the county team and the other two are probably short of inter-county standard.

Is Richie any more mobile and less headless? Heā€™s cut from the same stone as most Wexford backs which is they aim for spectacular catches and long booming clearances rather than using their heads. He was unfortunate the way he was thrown around the centre forward and full forward line for a year or two which maybe messed up his development. How did Dessie play for Oulart?

Some great articles on the county final in the local press. I can completely understand why a manager of a successful club side would print them and hand them out to the players. :strokechin:

Great to see the Wexford GAA site promoting budding young journalists too by publishing previews and reports. Might be an idea to read them first to correct the errors though. Castletown faced the ā€œdeviousā€ prospect of playing someone recently. :lol:

Also relieved to read the prospect of Wexford boycotting the Camogie All Star awards after the shocking omission of Mary Leacy from the nominations listing has been averted. Dean Goodison in The People and Ronan Fagan in The Echo are absolutely seething. And rightfully so. :guns:

Gman, is Matthew Oā€™Hanlon not playing inter-county hurling next season?

hes doing erasmus is Spain and off to the states for the summer.

i realise im not Gmanā€¦but he would have extensive knowledge of St. Jamesā€™ hurlers especially where their houses are located in relation to parish ruleā€¦

as count already said, he is off to Madrid for the college year. I had known about it when all the shit about Leacy was going around, which made it all the more ironic that people were talking shite about Ryan trying to poach him for the football, despite O Hanlon being pissed off with him and not having spoken to him since Ryan brought him in and didnt use against Limerick, and O Hanlon wasnt even going to be around next year.

always useful to know where people live count. no point in people playing illegally for other clubs when they dont live in that parishā€¦

The first para is a bit confusing G-er. Heā€™s going to Madrid but the rest of it makes no sense to a simple bog trotter like me.

basically it was known for a long time he was not going to be around next year, yet esteemed journalists felt the need to print stories that Ryan was trying to poach him for football, despite O Hanlon having fallen out with Ryan and wouldnt be around anyway, so there was no substance to the rumours at all.

apologies for the confusion. hard to articulate words being a bog trotter too myself.

FAO of the Wexford contingent.

Are any of you anything to do with the Wexford GAA website?

I see Good ā€œCouncilā€ are playing St Kieranā€™s on Wednesday. This hurts my eyes. The ironing being that thereā€™s a 'Counsel crest just below the headline with the correct spelling. If people are going to put their head above the parrot pit they need to get things right.

It was good to see Faythe Harriers back in a county final, pity they couldnā€™t win it.

Just flicking through last Sundayā€™s match programme really brought it home how if Wexford are ever to be a force again, they need the town teams to be strong and producing hurlers. Looking at the roll of honour of county champions from Wexfordā€™s golden age of the 50ā€™s & 60ā€™s, its no accident that the town teams were dominating. St Aidanā€™s were county champions in 1952, 53, 54, 56, 57, 58 & 59. Faythe Harriers in 1960, 62 & 65. Shamrocks in 1964 & 69 and Geraldine Oā€™Hanrahans in 1966. Look at all the players the town teams contributed, you had Art Foley, Nick Oā€™Donnell, Padge Kehoe, Tom Ryan, Tom Dixon, John Mitchell & Eddie Kelly from StAidans. Mick Morrissey, Tom Neville, Ned Colfer & Jimmy Oā€™Brien from New Ross. Harriers had Ned Wheeler, Hopper McGrath & Willie Murphy. Paud Lynch from Shamrocks.

Small rural teams dominating in any county in either code is generally not good for the county set up. Buffers Alley won 8 county titles in 11 years between 1982 & 92 and contributed little or nothing to the Wexford set up during that period. Its the same with Oulart now. Since Liam Dunne & Martin Storey departed, the current lot of Oulart players havenā€™t contributed a whole lot.

did richie kehoe hurl much for wexford this year?..saw him hurl a few years ago and he was a colosseus at centre back for themā€¦fookin bull of a manā€¦havenĀ“t heard much of him since thenā€¦
whatever happened to Nick Lambert ?..rememeber him playing midfield in an all ireland U-21 fnal i think it was and he was fairly lowerin the bladeā€¦ i know he went playing with wexford footballers for a while after thatā€¦

Poundageā€¦is that keeling lad u mention nicknamed Ā“bowlerĀ“ or something to that effect ?.. :strokechin:

Kehoe was in and out of the Wexford team for much of the league and was on the bench for the opening championship game away to Offaly. He was on the team for all the games after that, initially at wing back and then centre back against Cork when we were knocked out. He joined the army a year or two ago so not sure if he was restricted in being available for training early in the year or was just a bit out of favour before forcing his way back into the team.

Nicky Lambert was on the U21 team that lost the All Ireland final to Limerick in 2001 alright - think he captained the team from midfield. We lost the senior Leinster Final fairly heavily that year but the U21s won their provincial final the following Wednesday by beating Kilkenny in Wexford Park. The great Tony Dempsey then responded by chucking a load of the U21 team in against Limerick in the senior quarter final and Lambert was selected on the edge of the square. Donā€™t think he actually struck a ball but he frightened the life out of Timmy Houlihan that day - Fitzhenry got 2 goals and we won 4-10 to 2-15. :guns: :clap: :lol:

Canā€™t really remember what happened next with him - presume he was involved in the hurling the next year anyway. He played a good bit of rugby football and then he got called up to the football panel by Pat Roe. He broke his leg in a Leinster championship game then one year, possibly in 2004 against Kildare, and wasnā€™t really involved again at senior level with Wexford. He was one of the Faythe Harriers who broke away to hurl with the Volunteers - they were one of the football clubs in Wexford town who decided to set up a hurling arm too. They compete in Junior something or other now and not sure if heā€™s involved with them.

Re Bowler - not sure on some of the nicknames these days but think thatā€™s Colin Keeling rather than Emmet. He would be 34 or thereabouts and was hurling senior up to this year - heā€™s also a very talented handballer and competes nationally and is Emmetā€™s uncle. Like I say, could be wrong but I have a feeling Colin used to be referred to as this on and off.