Wexford GAA 2013

[quote=Appendage" data-cid=“722486” data-time="1357687185]

What about Rosslare pal? Folding up their tent!
[/quote]Jaysus, we had some absolutely cracking rosslare lads hurling with us the past two years. Kevin Driver in particular went home. It would be a crime if he packed in. Absolute genius.

What age is he? A genius?

Dunno, Id put him about 25 or so now. He apparently hurled most underage grades for Wexford, but then couldn’t or didn’t want to put the time and effort in required of the seniors. He had underage Ireland soccer trials as well I think. Not a big lad but what a hurler. I’ve seen decent players over here, inter county lads back home and he was as good as anyone I ever saw, on little or no training. In the county final one year he was playing half back and their goalie picked the ball down on top of him. He was a yard off the ground and caught it over two bigger lads and put it straight back over the bar. A supreme talent. Nice lad too. Once he decided to play he was 100percent committed. One of the old rosslare clubman told me they reckon he was the best player ever went through the club. We had Conor cafferkey as well who was a great lad and a fine full forward at our level as well as another couple of lads, rufus was one lad, again a gent. That is a real shame.

Martin Storey has been appointed manager of the defending county senior hurling champions Oulart-The Ballagh.

Chaps, can we can an update on the the inter-county squad changes? I’ll start:

Hurling
In: Andrew Shore, Michael O’Regan, Lee Chin.
Out: Matthew O’Hanlon (study/travel), Diarmuid O’Keeffe (travel), Liam Óg McGovern (injury/travel).

Has there been any other further additions? Richie Kehoe is the hurling vice-captain this season following the recent appointment of Garrett Sinnott as captain.

Football:

Out: Brendan Doyle (retired, seeking clarification whether he was retired or he retired) Niall Murphy (retired) Eric Bradley (Emmigration) Ciaran Lyng long temr injury i believe will clarify same later.

In: Sean Gaule, Jack Kelly

What is Matt Hanlon at? His older brother Shane, used hurl with us. cracking hurler he was too. Real decent lads the two of them.

No he didnt. Shane is Michael’s older brother. Two good hurlers in their own right but wouldnt be as physical as Matt. MAtt is studying Madrid til May and heading on a J1 then.

Club in the UK flatty?

Ya that’d be us. Manchester based. Shane was a great hurler. I’m sure he must still be playing. Was it Michael who was on the Wexford u21 team then a few years back?

Matt and Michael were on the same U21 hurling team. Michael as a wing back and Matt as full or centre.

Shane is still playing for his local club.

What’s your club name?

Fullen Gaels. I’m too old and generally useless to get a start these days more’s the pity. Shane was one of the best hurlers in th uk I would reckon at the time. Took us a long time to get him to play a season but he said it was worth it when all was said and done. Meelin beat us in the aiqf that year before going on to win it out. He held their star man to one from play though.

Might be a fella from our club playing with ye actually. S Wallace.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using TFK App, how do you like me now Flano.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 732186”]

The recent lack of success is more to do with player development than a single weak chairman. Maybe a number of weak chairmen over the last 40 years since we were consistently competitive.

Who should take the blame for player development?

I don’t know. Is it all males between the ages of 20 and 40 born Wexford that either weren’t good enough to play for Wexford or were good enough and weren’t good enough to win for Wexford?

Is it anyone who has an interest in hurling who hasn’t bother their arse doing anything? Is it those who had an interest but not a clue about what they were doing? Is it Brian Cowen? Bertie?

Deary fucking me I’m a year behind the times.

And there’s a whopping lack of knowledge about hurling too. A big crowd on big days but a relatively small core of passionate knowledgeable people.

Things are changing though. Clubs and schools are producing better players. Trouble is other counties are moving ahead too and we’re always playing catch up.

Football has had little or no impact – it’s always been there. Maybe a bit in the sense that lads like Chin and McGovern would historically have always picked hurling in the first instance but that I feel is more a reflection on Jason Ryan than the sports.

The “development” of football is an interesting concept in Wexford because it was more by accident that design. Good work in a few schools was about it. There was no scheme or plan.

A decent crop of u21s came through in 01/02 and supplemented the likes of Fordre, Hegarty, Wallace and Morris. They were a fiercely committed bunch and this combined with some excellent managers have made them fairly competitive without winning anything of note. But in fairness, it’s infinitely easier to make a football team competitive because organisation and fitness will bring you a long way. They’ve also had forwards that have been of the best in their generation – Forde, Barry and Lyng. None of whom came through any sort of “development” route. Barry schooled in Roscrea while Lyng played a bit of GGA in Clonard and Peters before hitting for Preston.

Unlike football, ability is essential in hurling and also Wexford haven’t fluked forwards like the 3 football stars.

I’ve no idea what hurling development the “hurling” clubs have prevented.

So in summary weak leadership over the last 40 years has us in the mess we’re in. Get Ned Quinn to Wexford pronto.[/quote]
Fucking Clonard. Get to fuck Lyng.

wexford football will be forever indebted to the great Paul bealin…

More so Tommy Carr if truth be known.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TFK App

We all know it was Skinny Roe that saved Wexford football.

yes, for leaving.

Shane was the Games Development Officer for British Uni Gaa for a while as well IIRC

Sarsfields Ger Halligan deserves all the credit for stepping into the breach after JJ Barrett boxed the head off Michael Curley up in Cavan. He marginalised the dead wood from Fethard and Horeswood and laid solid foundations for the future.

:clap:

in fairness, it was the start of it all. That and a decent minor/U21 side coming up through the ranks backboned by Counsel/Peters sides at the time.

It was all thanks to Kevin Kehoe relocating from Newbridge College to Good Counsel College in 1992/3. Everyone knows this.

His work has result in golden generations for Gaelic Football in Wexford and Kildare.