Wexford GAA 2016

They aren’t, they are in a preliminary round of games that if they make it thru that they go into Munster*

Or so it was said when they got promoted. I would doubt myself questioning your factual wisdom.

Pretty sure they are in Leinster mate. Really makes a farce of the provincial system at this point. But they have a better chance of making a decent showing there than the hiding they would get in Munster.

1 Like

Where’s your report Bando?

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa-championship-fixtures-2012/leinster-gaa-shc-2012.257.html

Kerry are in Leinster hurling championship

yeah just looked it up. they initially said they would go into Munster but then changed their mind on it.

[quote] Kerry’s Christy Ring Cup final win has gained them entry to the round-robin phase of the Leinster championship.
A Croke Park overview of hurling proposed that if the Kingdom did qualify for the 2016 MacCarthy Cup, which they have done, they would play in Leinster’s qualifying group initially.
However, the suggestion was that if they were successful there, Kerry would progress to a Munster quarter-final, rather than a Leinster quarter-final.
The goalposts have shifted since then as Croke Park feel that pitting Kerry with opposition they could have a realistic chance of beating would serve them better, rather than presenting them with the prospect of a heavy beating in Munster.[/quote]

Do you really want me to cobble some more thoughts together on that, pal? Are you messing here?

Well that’s not helpful then is it.

I see we had a lad called Liam Óg Gormley playing last night.

It’s onwards and downwards it would appear.

Okay, I’ll try compose something on the phone so.

They were sharper, stronger, more purposeful, clued in, skilful and determined.

I thought beforehand our forwards wouldn’t be able to make enough of an impression but they were pretty much blown away in the first half (bar McGovern).

Playing with 5 forwards backfired badly. They were too small and weak and the Limerick backs were much more imposing. That said, their lack of intensity was fairly apparent and it allowed Limerick to build attacks from the back. They were able to work it through the lines at their leisure and picked off plenty of long range points too as they got to midfield and into the half forward line.

But the extra defender didn’t make us secure either. When has Harry Kehoe ever played centre back for us? He actually had a very good third quarter when restored to midfield. I don’t think the spare defender role suits Liam Ryan either. He should be tasked with marking an inside forward or played full back. His distribution isn’t brilliant and he’s still fairly inexperienced - his reading of the play and general positioning/understanding of the role could be better.

It was like we came up with the idea of playing with this so called sweeper but haven’t actually trained much specifically with it or got anywhere close to perfecting it. There was absolutely no cohesion or structure to it - just “there’s your starting positions on the field - now take it from there, boys”. That said, I guess Dunne will be emphasising us being undercooked due to players being tied up with colleges in the Walsh Cup and not having access to players.

So Limerick were basically popping the ball through us and/or delivering the ball beyond/to the side of our extra defender. We also coughed up some stupid scores from basic shit/mishit passes out of defence. Barry Nash gave Paudie Foley the run around and he was taken off at half time. Paul Browne had the run of midfield in the first half - I don’t know if Chin or Nolan was meant to be marking him but neither of them did. A few of our backs were alright and battled away but nobody particularly dominated their sector.

We improved when Murphy and Moore came on as wing backs, Shore went forward and, as mentioned, Kehoe joined Chin in midfield. But it was in a making it respectable/Limerick taking the foot off the gas kind of way. They went and scored a goal when we got it back to 6 in the second half.

We finished with an injured McGovern standing on the pitch for the last 10 minutes having made all our subs so he could miss the Clare game. We’d have even less of a forward threat then.

But we looked like a team going through the motions. We were way off the pace and looked collectively unsure of what we were meant to be doing too.

Bar Offaly, we surely take the most hidings for a county that’s won the All Ireland in the last 50 years. We turn up and get rolled over without much fuss far too often. What the fuck is wrong with us? Is it a decent bunch of mainly young players struggling under a manager who’s maybe had his time? Or are we guilty of thinking the players are better than they are? Or is it a collective malaise?

It’s a collective malaise pal. Nobody has a fucking clue what’s going on.

Jack Guiney trained with Rathnure on Saturday evening,

Not just with the seniors. The whole way down along. We are stuck in the 70s.

At least in the 70’s we were making All Ireland finals :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Brendan taking the Liam Dunne side in this argument.

WEXFORD’S Jack Guiney has sensationally withdrawn from the senior hurling squad.

Guiney, looked upon as one of the sides marquee forwards, has had somewhat chequered career since his elevation to senior ranks, but all seemed rejuvenated when he returned to the hurling set-up this year, having missed out on all but one championship outing in 2015.
Last year the Rathnure clubman was dropped from the championship squad for disciplinary reasons, a decision that led to much debate within the county and outside, particularly as they were facing up to a provincial semi-final showdown with All-Ireland champions, Kilkenny.
In that single championship outing against Westmeath in Cusack Park, Guiney was withdrawn during the second half, but it was following a breach of discipline after that game that he was left out of the squad.
Looked upon as one of his sides most valuable assets, particularly in attack, where his physique and hurling ability is so crucial to his side against the leading defender, his decision to withdraw his services from the squad has come as a huge shock.
A Wexford County Board source has confirmed that Guiney has withdrawn from the squad.
‘Jack Guiney withdrew from the squad late last week for personal reasons. We regret this but wish him the best for the future,’ he added.
Given the circumstances surrounding the withdrawal, Guiney had earlier been named in the team at full-forward to face Limerick, but was subsequently withdrawn with a ‘hamstring injury’ been cited as the reasoning behind the decision.
But now it has clearly emerged that the Rathnure attacker no longer wishes to be part of the senior hurling set-up leaving the Wexford team management little time to get their head around this latest development, particularly given their daunting game away to Limerick on Saturday evening last, which they subsequently lost heavily despite a spirited second half, while they now face a rejuvenated Clare outfit in Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday afternoon next.
It may be a significant development in Wexford hurling but the players are big and capable enough to respond with their own challenge. Admittedly Clare will be difficult but the Guiney factor could drive the players to level required to meet such challenges.
The only answer for Wexford and the players is to provide the type of challenge to Clare that will once again make it a proud day for the purple and gold.
It’s an inexplicable decision by Guiney to withdraw but a decision that could still drive the players to a higher ground.

1 Like

Inexplicable decision by young man to do something other play hurling for Wexford.

3 Likes

Brendan first with the story again. :clap:

but maybe he made the decision to make the team play better? It might be a completely selfless move, as Brendan reckons him opting out will drive the players to a higher ground. So we should be lauding Guiney for his sacrifice to improve Wexford hurling.

1 Like

Selfless. It’s fucking daft. The whole thing. Brendan is a legend though. Shameless. Will he ever retire? He must be 70.

yeah it seems odd alright. Something major would want to have gone down to go from being named starter to quitting. I’m sure Brendan will reveal the inside scoop soon enough, maybe after the Clare game if things dont go our way, take a little bit of heat back off Dunne.

I’m also saying that the Dunne/Devereux/Furlong axis is daft. Furlong loved Meyler, hated Bonnar and loves Dunne. It’s mad how much he can influence the ill informed punter.

Jack can and will do whatever the fuck he wants.

I’m sure he’ll be in Meaghers in May with his pals from around Rathnure chanting his name.

1 Like