Wexford GAA 2018

What is the issue here? Surely if anyone is to blame itā€™s the DCU manager for playing guys who he knew had played the previous 2 days. Last time I checked intercounty hurling was the pinnacle of GAA not some Mickey Mouse college competition.

Ya ya.

Funny men.

Maybe you should ask your manager why he is involved in said micky mouse comp so?

And why he is not concentrating all his time on Wexford.

Itā€™s gas how Davy will rob a team/club/county blind, injure the players and people still come back for more.

1 Like

Iā€™d assume Davy is involved because heā€™s being paid to do so. Surely you could figure that out for yourself though. I doubt most GAA people could tell you who won the Fitzgibbon or Sigerson last year.

To my knowledge the only Wexford squad member currently injured is Rory Oā€™ Connor. I doubt this has anything to do with Davyā€™s training as he has only took part in a few training sessions under Davy. I donā€™t recall us having too many injuries last year either.

2 Likes

Most sound minded Wexford men know that having Davy there comes at a cost, and that cost isnā€™t just financial. However, if he can stablise us back in 1A and get some youngsters interested in playing for their county again then its somewhat bearable. I fully expect a raft of injuries by the middle of the summer as his methods just arenā€™t sustainable. As long as he doesnā€™t sour a bunch of lads like he did with Clare then most of us will be happy.

He would have ro go after this year.

Who would be a good fella to pick them up the next level.

He is taking alot away from Chins game.

I also have my doubts Wexford actually have the hurlers to win anything of note. But happy to be wrong.

I dont see a lot of candidates within the county who could lift them another level again.

I actually dont think he is taking away from Chins game at all, I think Chin is thriving in the role he is playing where he is left play as he likes and not kept to a structured formation. Most of the others have a pretty determined role, whereas Chin is left be influential around the middle. Somewhat similar to Aussie Gleeson for Waterford. I think Chin himself needs to step things up, but so far this year, he seems to be in better form. Bar the Kilkenny game last year, I thought Chin was very average.

I also dont think Wexford or the supporters think they are winning anything of note with Davy either, but you must realise where we are coming from in terms of competitiveness. We were utter gash for years, with lots of below average players. Whereas now we actually do have some quality players and have a good depth to the squad where picking the team is not as straight forward as before.

What I do want to see is how can Conor Mac be utilised. You mention Chin, where I feel it is Conor Mac who is having his game taken away from him.

3 Likes

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if he did. The third year is when the wheels really come off the wagon so if we can have a positive year and then wave goodbye to him then everyone is a winner.

Its a tough one. Someone like JJ Doyle who is working in his backroom team and managed the U21 teams would be an obvious choice. I doubt weā€™ll be able to afford anyone more expensive than that.

I wouldnā€™t agree with this. Chin didnā€™t really establish himself as a proper star ā€˜nameā€™ until Davy took over. Heā€™s more of a focal point now than heā€™s ever been.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me to see us going far in the league, but more because our fitness is further ahead than our hurling ability being superior.

+1 to this, massively

2 Likes

Mac can be very frustrating at times. Heā€™s lacking the half yard of pace to be top class. Mixes the sublime with the ridiculous. Won a ball early stages of second half yesterday and proceeded to hit it wide when was easier to score.
Davy is unlikely to bring us an All Ireland. I donā€™t think we have the squad depth. We have still made huge progress from the previous set-up. Think most Wexford people just want us to be competitive and see progress. We were a joke at times under Dunne.

On Chin
@Gman
@Mac

I will bow to your more viewed experience and knowl edge of wExford and Chinā€¦

I think itā€™s more an agressive and psychological thing I am seeing in Chin. I could be wrong but to me he is being asked to be someone he is not.
The free role is fine but it seems to be a monumental amount put on his shoulders. He is class, but from the outside it seems too heavy a burden.

Hence why I predicted last week injury and/or discipline issues for Chin this year

I dont think it is too much of a burden. To be honest, I think Chin wants to be that, he is happy being the big name and all that goes with it on and off the field. He has his own agent from before Davys time and as seen from various media outings he does, he is happy enough with the off field burden. That said, to get the off fiend attention, you need to be a huge player on the field, so its in his own interest to be that.

As I said, it is Conor Mac who is the one being marginalised by the system played. Mac is an old school full forward, skillful and great under a high ball. But Davys full forwards are usually small pacy lads who spread the play. So Mac has been out wing forward a lot and it doesnt suit him. He is a true talented player and if Wexford are to make ground, then we need to be getting the best out of our best players.

Lads, all this talk about Davy is only distracting from the big game against Sligo next week

3 Likes

nah man, the big game is in Croke park next week!

1 Like

Are DCU playing this week?

1 Like

jaysus, how could I forget, best of luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not on about the off field stuff at all.

I am on about him playing more of a hard man routine.

Conor Mac has never inspired me too much. Looks like a lad not interested in improving on his skillet. Might happen in time as things dawn on some lads around 25/26. But he is acting like your typical big lad who dominated underage still. His decision making is a bit mad sometimes.

And Davy wonā€™t improve that

Playing Ardmore is it?

no my point being about the off field stuff is that you dont get that unless you perform on the field and make yourself worthy of attracting the off field stuff. If that is what Chin wants, then it means he needs to take a burden on the field and lead the team. Iā€™m not sure he plays a hard man routine either though. He is big and physical and wont back down, but I generally see hard man routines as guys who arent generally talented and make up for their lack there in being an agitator or hard man enforcer type.

I would disagree on Mac there too. I think he needs serious coaching though. He went through a phase last year of hitting frees off both sides, left and right. He plays left hand on top catching with his right, so an orthodox type left hander. But for the most part he struck frees on the right sight (ala Joe Deane, Kirby etc) but last year then reverted to the orthodox left sided free taking. He is equally as good on either side, but that sort of over and back should be part of the coaching he receives to ensure he is playing the most comfortable way he can and is not overthinking things. He missed some dreadful frees last year and I think the likes of that was a factor in it.

Yeah playing Ardmore on Sunday. Weā€™ll probably be up against it alright, they are strong favourites with the bookies, but sure we were bigger underdogs with the bookies against Callan and won that one handy so who knows? Our advantage is that weā€™ve an extremely young and fast team, whereas they are more experienced and on the older side of things.

Lee Chin is a very nice guy. He doesnā€™t go in for the ā€œacting the hard manā€ routine at all and Iā€™ve never seen him target anyone or pull a dirty stroke. He plays his own game to the best of his ability. People may be reacting to the picture from last weekā€™s Walsh Cup Final when he wrestled the hurl off the Kilkenny mullocker who was digging him in the back with it and booted it into the stand.

4 Likes

I know them reasonably well. I am good mates with one player. I think they have 9/10 who played Senior with them maybe 7-8 years ago and it could be that high as well the amount of them that played for the county at some level.
So experience is huge for them.
I think the final 3rd of the team is largely off a half decent minor team in past couple of years. They can go years without decent teams but seem to produce a very good one every so often.

Croke Park may suit your lads if they are mentally right.