Wexford GAA 2018

He has. Announced it within the last 2 weeks.

Will Brosnan be fit for Sligo, @padjo?

I’d say Brian Malone would have a good chance of getting his red card rescinded if there’s any video footage of the incident. I hate managers / assistant managers coming onto the pitch to get involved with referees or opposition players (unless it’s Davy Fitzgerald).

Freetaking let us down yesterday too. Shanley pointed two good medium range ones off the ground from just right of centre in the first half but missed a long range one from just to the left of the posts in between. He then missed a 21 from half way between the right hand post and the sideline. Again, he took this from the ground - it seemed odd for a right footed kicker to hit it from the ground on the wrong side, especially as his style is to put a lot of curl on the ball. He really didn’t have much of an angle to work with hitting it like that and that style of strike doesn’t really suit a wide freekick on the wrong side.

Craig McCabe missed a sitter from straight in front of the posts around 25 yards out in the second half after Shanley went off and then we got a free on the 21 similar enough to the one Shanley missed in the first half. The left footed Conor Carty (came on at half time) took this but hooked it wide at the near post. We probably should have racked up another 3 points from frees anyway. Every score will be crucial when we’re lacking firepower and battling for survival.

The wind meant play very congested.
At stages in first half we had 6 forwards playing in the traditional formation.
After our electric start Waterford moved to their more favored defense formation and Murphy went sweeper.

Against the wind Murphy played sweeper, picked up a few short puck outs.
Mark Fanning had a lovely way of jogging very, very slowly to take frees in second half.
Plenty of positives will need some degree of rotation to ease strain on players
Nice to see Sean Moran in the Irish Times referring to our leader as David Fitzgerald.
Don’t think Waterford took a single short puck out in entire game.

1 Like

Coming from a cork man :smile:

1 Like

One thing we are not is defensive.

We’re too cocky to be defensive

No idea about Brosnan @Bandage

That’s a pity about the frees, Shanley used to be unerring on them and McCabe was excellent against Dublin in the Byrne cup. If we are to play an ultra-defensive system (and we kinda need too), scores will be at a premium, every free will count…

@Bandage How did Barry OConnor and Cathal Devereux go? Both of these 2 could be an option on frees but perhaps too much responsibility to place on young shoulders.

He says defensively

O Connor wouldnt be as good as Shanley on frees. I wouldnt be relying on him yet anyway. Mark Rossiter on the bench is probably the best free taker in the squad at the moment.

Shanley has a very strange technique on his frees. His run up is very straight, but his kicking stroke has a a side movement through it. The usual run up for such a kick is a more rounded approach, and the usual strike for a straighter run up gives a truer kick that would have little curve, so he sort of combines both techniques for his free taking. He can be very accurate, but I also think that sort of style lends itself to be a bit inconsistent.

Barry O’Connor was taken off at half time - not sure if he was injured but he wasn’t going brilliantly. It was quite congested in the middle third and he lost the ball a couple of times. That said, he was far more involved that a couple of other forwards. I mentioned the two free takers - I don’t think you can carry both of them. You need a bit more cut and work rate.

Devereux got a very nice point from play when he came on but (like a lot of them) he’s very young and light.

Yeah I think it will take time for these lads to bulk up, there is a lot in that squad that are only 19. I remember Rossitor when he played with the minors, a good free taker too.

I think we have some fine players coming through but theyll need time.

www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/wexford-hurlers-latest-to-hit-lucrative-us-fundraising-trail-with-new-york-trip-36549723.html
Davy nearly pays for himself

Great to see the county board have released the minutes of the annual convention which was held nearly 2 months ago. :laughing:

1 Like

That soon? Such haste.

Nice reference to ‘Fake News’ in it too…

1 Like

Finally, the publication of incorrect reports, “fake news”, in the national and local media by a particular journalist is disappointing and the Wexford GAA community deserves better. On a number of occasions, Wexford GAA figures have had to publicly contradict reports and misquoted remarks attributed to them. It is a priority now for the Coiste Bainistíochta to correct such reports and to avoid repeated incidents in the future.

:rofl:

3 Likes

When are local championship draws?

apparently they’ve been sending solicitor’s letters into the People on a regular basis…

yeah that was going for a few weeks in the lead up to the vote anyway. hadnt heard anything much about stuff since then. I’m sure they were given the attention required by the affected journalist.

1 Like

I heard Saturday night but not certain.