Wexford

That doesn’t sound safe.

I’d be like the chicken who crossed the road, talking to the swallows who flew back from Africa if I mentioned that.

I think The Slobs is as good as I can come up with, but unfortunately they’re closed.

Theres the Dunbrody famine ship in New Ross. The JFK Park and area too just outside. Around Wexford town there’s the National Heritage Park which gives a load of info on Normans, Vikings and the likes. They could always go through Enniscorthy and take in Vinegar Hill and the National 1798 centre either.

Outside of Wexford town towards Curracloe there’s a wooded walk called The Raven or Raven Point which is very nice. Obviously Wexford town has the countries best Opera House but not sure if there’s anything on there.

They could just go on a fucking school tour altogether

11 Likes

We’re looking for solutions here, not cheap seat jibes

If anyone bothered looking into the Wexford thread he’d have a heap of likes for that post.

Crust, Frank’s Place or The Vine are the go to places for food at the moment.

1 Like

Bugler Doyle’s is essentially basic rooms above a salt of the earth type pub. Would your pals’ budget extend to White’s Hotel or The Talbot Hotel? The latter also has suites adjacent to the hotel - Talbot Suites at Stonebridge and you might meet Davy Fitz here. These are centre of the town options. Others just on the edge include Ferrycarrig Hotel, Riverbank Hotel and Whitford House Hotel.

I ate in La Cote and Thomas Moore Tavern on my recent holiday in Wexford and they were both thoroughly delightful. I’ve taken the trouble to prepare a Wexford town and surrounds itinerary.

Day 1
Morning walk along Wexford’s historic Main Street, stopping into any cafe that takes your fancy for morning chai lattes. Drive to Karoo Farm Shop in Killinick for lunch and then onto Our Lady’s Island and Carne Beach for strolls. Home in the evening for a walk on the marina followed by a take-away from Mi-Asian Street Food on Anne Street. There will be lots of walks.

Day 2
Breakfast in UFU Coffee - pancakes & smoothie perhaps. Drive to Rosslare Harbour for coastal walk and playground. Over to Rosslare Strand for lunch in Kelly’s Café. Back to Wexford town for donuts, possibly Boston Donuts in Redmond Square. Coffee in lobby of White’s Hotel or in the café on the top floor of the Opera House. Dinner in Crust Pizza.

Day 3
Breakfast in Talbot Hotel. Drive to Kilmore Quay and board ferry to Saltee Islands (depending on seasonal schedule, please check in advance). Fish and chips in Saltee Chipper. Back to Wexford for a cappuccino in the coffee shop called Cappuccinos on the town (Note you are “on” the town in Wexford. Example: Did you do anything today? Yeah, I was on the town for a couple of hours in the afternoon). Take in a walk along with the zip line and slides in the new town park, Min Ryan Park, and pop into Whitford for dinner.

Day 4
Pack a picnic and drive to Hook Lighthouse. Maybe visit Loftus Hall or Tintern Abbey after that. Take-away from Spice Indian upon return to Wexford. I’m not that familiar with these further afield options over that side of the county.

Day 5
Breakfast in Simon Lambert & Sons. Spin up to Enniscorthy and climb Vinegar Hill while reading Seamus Heaney’s Requiem for the Croppies on your phone. Visit the 1798 Centre and grab lunch in The Riverside. Feed the ducks at the still pond near Monart and pop into Monart for afternoon tea if you want to eschew the Riverside lunch option.

Day 6
An early morning walk on stunning Curracloe Beach. You can walk out to Raven Point afterwards if you want. Back to Wexford town for lunchtime rissoles in The Premier Chipper. Drive out to Johnstown Castle for a nice walk around the lakes in the afternoon. Dinner in La Cote or Thomas Moore Tavern that night.

10 Likes

Shocking omission of Cistin Eile and too much afternoon caffeine. But aside from that, it’s a cracking itinerary. Surprised a stroll up Forth Mountain wasn’t included

@habanerocat you have got a good run down from @Bandage there on some good options to do basing yourself out of Wexford town. As he is a townie and doesnt know much outside of the ring road around the town, I can advise on few more options on your day 4 itinerary.

The Hook Lighthouse is a nice spot. Do a tour of the lighthouse itself, good history behind it and good views looking out across Waterford Harbour. The clifftop walk from the back of the lighthouse over to Slade Harbour and Castle is a nice walk in good weather. Loftus Hall is on the road out to the lightouse so you cant miss it. Worth it for the gardens and location itself, but the tour is also pretty good here and not only the history of the house and the devil story, but also the history of the area. There are cafes in both lighthouse and Loftus Hall. You have different more established eating options in Duncannon or Fethard which are both close to this area, all pretty good so depends on the route you would drive. Tintern Abbey is also a good shout. Really nice grounds and the Walled Garden is one of the best restored gardens I’ve seen around. There is a cafe here, but there is also a pub that serves food just at the end of one of the walkways to the Abbey that is very good. You’d easily kill a day in the area and have your lunch/evening meals sorted too before going back to town. Weather is getting colder for beach excursions, but even so, a walk on one of the many beaches around is another easy way to spend an hour or 2. For longer walk type beaches I’d suggest either Duncannon or Grange (just outside Fethard) to the Big Burrow for that.

2 Likes

Sounds like a lad ran out of Klare is the number 1 tourist attraction in the entire county.
Would they not just go somewhere nice?

Two lads from Klare, bandage mentions all of Liam Griffins hotels to go to as well as the iconic Davy Fitz.

3 Likes

I put so much time, along with my heart and soul, into preparing that Wexford itinerary. Yet all I’ve received in return is ridicule from @flattythehurdler and not even the briefest of thanks from @habanerocat. Fuck the lot of you. Stay out of Wexford.

6 Likes

There was about half a week spent ateing in it.

2 Likes

Fuck all else to do there.

Thank you Verona.

2 Likes

Cistin Eile* is shite overly rich food…

La Cote
Spice
Emerald Gardens

all far superior

*have not darkened its door in 2 years…

The wexford lads giving a limerick lads esque performance here on a simple request for information.

What way are the chippers lads?

:joy:

Fuck sake man. Are you trying to poison the poor lad?