What level of Football did you reach?

You were his clarinetist iirc

7 Likes

This calls for a game of ‘Wayne Rooney: Street Striker’, fairest way.

I thought you played up front for Fiorentina? I have you all mixed up now.

I was on the 30 odd man panel for the Kennedy Cup trials but didn’t make the last cut. The coach asked for a show of hands for lads who’d go to GAA training ahead of soccer, I raised my hand. Although I don’t think that was a deciding factor, more so the fact that I was an infrequent scorer from the right wing at the time. I focussed on GAA only after U16’s but have returned to playing a bit of winter soccer for fitness in recent years.

Robbie Keane’s cousint the LOI legend

Some player. Who would you rather him or glenn crowe

Ah byrne - crowebar was a battering ram

U12s.

I won a national senior soccer cup.

2 Likes

:eek:

So did I!

I played to a decent level (Munster Senior League) but the highlight of my soccer life was scoring the winning goal in the last minute of extra time (0-0) to win the u16 premier league in a play off
Our opponents had 3 Irish internationals and were pulled from all over Cork city and county, we all grew up together and attended the same school, 9 of the starting 11 were in the same class (of about 25 boys)

7 Likes

Ya easily my favourite time was playing national cup competitions underage. Pretty incredible a bunch of mullockers from the desmond league made it to an u15 national cup quarter final. Beaten 1-0 up in Cherry Orchard.

Beat Glenmuir from Dundalk on penalties in the previous round. Scored one of the best goal I ever got in the last few minutes of extra time to send the game to penalties.

6 Likes

We were knocked out of youths version of the Oscar Traynor in the quarter final, after a Kevin Doyle screamer saw Wexford beat us 1-0.

Mentioned it before on here and I think possibly another forumite was involved with Wexford?

I scored 19 goals in PE one time.

15 Likes

What year was that? I may have been warming the bench :popcorn:

National cup away days were unbelievable.

My favourites were when you’d travel for tournaments, so you might be away for 4 or 5 days while the tournament was run off. The crowley cup

There wouldnt be travel but the cup where american teams played in UL as well as teams from all over ireland. Class

1 Like

That goal I scored I can remember clearly 32 years later,
They played a vicious offside trap, I had the ball centrally 30 yards from goal, my centre forward was peeling off and the centre back put up the hand and they pushed up, I don’t know how I had the presence of mind but I pushed the ball between the two centre half’s and I had them beaten before they could turn, one on one with the keeper and I side footed it to my left, rolled in,
There was a stone dugout and our club secretary knocked himself out when he jumped up, I was swarmed by supporters, I’ll never forget a favourite uncle of mine (fanatical supporter of the club, my fathers family was steeped in it, had been founding members) had a rough beard and it left a rash on me, funny the things you remember,
Jesus what a night, and it was in the middle of my leaving cert

4 Likes

Googled it there and this was the team:

Wexford - Karl Smith, Philip Gleeson, Eoin Quigley, DannyO’Hart, Darren Stamp, Damien Cullen, Leighton Gleeson, Eric Bradley, ThomasHawkins, Kevin Doyle, John Fennell. Subs - John O’Leary (for Cullen), PatrickKeating (for O’Hart) and Liam REdmond (for Doyle)

Some team. Doyle wasn’t even the best of that 11 but had the right support network around him

I was through 1 v 1 early on and the keeper hauled me down outside the box. Ref only gave him a yellow.