What’s your financial situation

Correct but I wouldn’t be surprised if those working class people you’re talking about didn’t have half as much a debt burden

I’m fucked so my 6 inches won’t out me on the stage

1 Like

Because they can’t get a mortgage?

Not necessarily. My experience of people who can be termed “working class” is that they are generally a lot more astute with their cash because they have to be.

1 Like

We didn’t have a pot to piss in in the ‘economic black spot’ that I grew up in, parents believed in education and made lots of sacrifices but we had absolutely no financial head start

6 Likes

Seconded.

It’s probably a generational thing too. I think u35s are feeling it a lot tougher. We would have all been in the work force for a number of years before the crash hit. I was lucky enough to get a generous redundancy package when the place I had worked in since finishing uni went under and then got a decent job over in Scotland for a few years. I was also lucky enough to not have bought a property before the crash hit and being tied into that.

I have a couple of younger brothers who came out of uni round the time of the crash. They would have struggled to find any type of job matching their degrees etc and had to struggle for 3/4 years to find some decent work and then had to go into a rental bubble. One of them is just back in Belfast after a few years in London while the other is currently in Edinburgh. They had decent jobs over there but were spending a big chunk of their salary on rent.

I know that they would be a fair bit behind financially what I would have been at their age. I think that is indicative on most of the u35 brigade.

1 Like

@mickee321 made the best contribution above. Have goals for age 50 and don’t wait for retirement.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s borne out statistically Mike, pay day loan companies are fleecing working class people for example.

Interesting. Id have thought the opposite…and at the opposite end of the cycle to you i.e. still paying for childcare

Yep. A generation fucked over.

You could be right. I’d forgotten that the loan shark I dusty is rampant in that area

What’s “working class”?

You could be a very rare one and maybe you’re family are the urban working class I’m talking about but I’d find in a lot of cases like yours there’d be an uncle with a farm or a shop or an education who would have been a base to build on even as just an example. Very hard to value education if you’ve never even met anyone who’s benefitted from one. Not impossible obviously but much much more difficult

1 Like

I’m not saying this anything to feel guilty about by the way its just an observation

That’s complete and utter horseshit.

Examples of people benefitting from education are everywhere around you and always have been. It doesn’t have to be someone close to you.

I was the first person in my family on both sides to continue on into third level education. I had the smarts and I was pushed hard at home.

6 Likes

I’d probably define it as no 3rd level education or trade qualification and an employee of someone else

I’m really talking about Dublin here. It doesn’t exist anywhere else as they are small enough for a good social mix

Dublin is the smallest big city in the World pal. You’ve poor people in Howth living alongside the mega rich. You don’t have to stray too far from Tallaght and you’re in the land of the haves

You can have a trade and third level education and always work for someone else.

Conversely you can have neither and have employees.