What year did society reach it's peak?

She sounds like a right cunt. Must have loved you.

You would have loved 1973

1996, obviously.

Funnily enough she was sound at the back of it all, and yeah we got on very well.

She sounds like a horrible cunt.

Its.

2 Likes

Lads here are losing the plot. The country was falling apart in the 1980’s and early 90’s.
Everyone was fucking miserable.
I was talking to an auld lad one day who had to leave his family in Kerry to go to the UK to work in the 80’s, he said there used to be a bus from Tralee to London that ran weekly (such was the demand for it) as no one could afford to fly. He said it was the most depressing thing ever, bus full of old lads crying because they have to leave their family’s and young lads looking for anything better than home. All over in the UK then drinking themselves into oblivion to cope with it.

8 Likes

+1. I like a bit of nostalgia as much as the next man but lads would do well to step back from themselves and cop on a bit.

As for society reaching a peak, this could be the most internet forum question I’ve ever seen. I mean WTF?!

But for what its worth, 2004

Slatterys bus from Clonmel was the same, cheap and cheerful to London.
17% unemployment, you couldn’t buy contraceptives without a prescription until 1985😂.

I got slatterys bus to London in 1995 from outside the vec office in ennis. I was 18 and couldn’t get out fast enough

1 Like

Inflation running at over 15% for the first three years of the decade.

Mortgage rates for the 80’s;

1980 14.15%
1981 16.25%
1982 16.25%
1983 13.0%
1984 11.75%
1985 13%
1986 12.5%
1987 12.5%
1988 9.25%
1989 11.4%
1990 12.37%

How long were you in Tyco Electronics for?

7 Likes

9 years

5 Likes

Got the Slatterys bus from Waterford to London. 29 pounds return. Bus was pulled apart by the authorities in Fishguard. Looking for some kind of contraband. Held up for hours.

1 Like

:clap:

Applied for a Morrison visa. Didn’t get it.

People were wearing face masks in the mid 80s in Dublin the smog from the coal was so bad. All the building in the city centre were covered in soot. Joyriding was a scourge. A car sped past me in Killester one night with a dead old lady on the bonnet with the police in hot pursuit. It crashed in Clontarf and the joyriders were attacked.

4 Likes

That’s a real sliding doors moment in your life mate. Do you ever reflect on how things might have ended up if you had got it?

I got one of those visas in the raffle but I didn’t bother following it up. The smog in Dublin was unrale in the 80’s.

No never.

@Fagan_ODowd; I remember a trip to Dublin in the mid/late 80’s in the winter and the smog was unrale!

1997 for me. No mobiles, very little internet. Country was coming back, the Rainbow Govt had the country :ok_hand:, everything was looking good for the Irish.

Personally had a job, had a car, had a bird who I was having great sex with. After saving like a demon to go back to college in Sept I went to the US before the semester started with a bunch of thoroughly alright sorts for a summer that I’ve never seen the likes of again. It was unrale!

2 Likes