Whats the best Irish radio station to listen to?

Is that not what the Marty Squad is for?

1 Like

If your in your late 60s I suppose

I used to quite enjoy Take your Point on Radio 1 before that abomination of a Marty Squad started

Sickener there for Muireann and Louise.

They should have gone on Dancing with the Stars, so they should.

Much ado over some unremarkable women .

I heard Anton Savage on with Dave Fanning over the weekend. Got the sense that he’s on regularly with him. Can anyone confirm ?

I can’t confirm if you heard Anton Savage on with Dave Fanning, was there anyone with you at the time who could?

Yes, my life partner was in the car, and recognised the voice as Savage’s. Fanning also ended the segment by name-checking him . I was looking for confirmation on whether this was a one-off appearance or if Anton is a regular (weekly) contributor to Dave’s show

Yes, he does a weekly segment called Strange Stories with Anton Savage

2 Likes

Thanks pal

Does anyone listen to music radio these days? I mean, why would you need to?
Reminds me of this sketch:

3 Likes

`

Hello lovely people! I have been fired from @TodayFM It’s all good. Like, it’s embarrassing and I’m a bit sad but I love almost everyone in that station and wish them all the best in the future. @cocomairead will be great!

— Muireann O’Connell (@MuireannO_C) July 30, 2019
`

Not usually a fan but fair play to her for this tweet

5 Likes

I’ve only ever heard her a handful of times and thought she was alright. Fairly inoffensive and bubbly without coming across as brain dead.

She is no Phil Cawley but who is.

• at that station

Good to hear Ed is being rewarded for his excellence. That sunday night show is a good one.

1 Like

Why was she fired? I thought she was one of the main DJs there these days.

Radio is a fickle industry, particularly presenting. Lots of national radio presenters are essentially self-employed. Can negotiate a good fee for their services but can be dropped at the click of a finger.

Seems to be a strange culture in that place. They had some new chief lad come in a few years ago, and Anton Savage quit fairly soon after saying he couldn’t work there. Big Phil Cawley lost his Friday night 80s show, despite the numbers being good. I met big Phil around the time and it seemed the atmosphere was fairly poor there. But that was three years ago…

Used to listen to it all the time on the weekend drive to Dublin. Twas good, but kind of played what you nearly expected him to play, or within the parameters of “easy listening” for that hour, but the best of that time slot. You don’t get too many proper alternative shows on the radio anymore? Maybe McClune, but you can guess half of his playlist too.
Maybe John Kelly on Lyric or yer man from Dingle or Dan Hegarty?, but they wouldn’t really be playing heavy alternative for example, but they go off the mainstream track in fairness to them.