Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

What in God’s name are you waffling on about? You said they were discriminatory and I pointed out they weren’t. You were wrong.

They are. They give preference to Irish speaking families. They are by definition discriminatory.

I mean that’s fine if that’s what you want for your kids. You called it separating them from the riff raff yourself, your assessment of it.

So I’m being discriminated against, alongside the non Irish born, by your logic?

Posted without comment but with smugness

1 Like

Many schools give preferential treatment to kids who have/had a sibling that attended. Is that not discriminatory?

Nope. If you choose to you can elect to raise your child speaking Irish. You’ll have 4+ years to smash that interview.

As can a non national, presumably?

It’s practical.

So the idea that it is discriminatory distislls down to me, being from non gaelige speaking family, no siblings going to that school had the 4 years from the childs birth to teach them Irish v the non Irish born parent who arrived between that 1 - 4 years?

That’s your argument?

Nope.

People born in Ireland will likely have had 13-14 years of education in Irish.

If they haven’t for a variety of different reasons, they will still have several years to raise their child through the medium with whatever effort that requires.

If a foreign born person moves here at 3 to 4, best of luck with that.

The strangest part about all of this is that we are supposed to have a high standard of teaching of Irish. The entrance requirements are high. If you trained in the U.K.- best of luck, you’ll need to do a ILR course. Why we force that when so many have decided to flea the “regular” system. Why are they force feeding more mediocre teaching of Irish in a system they don’t care for themselves)? Why do they need special schools to themselves?

It becomes clear why these schools have grown in popularity when you track the immigration line to Ireland and you hear lines like riff raff thrown out.

A foreign born child arriving to Ireland has the same opportunity as my or any Irish born child like mine, not coming from a gaelige speaking family or siblings attending the school. The same opportunity, i.e. not discriminatory.

For you to prove your argument you would have to have data showing:

a) excess demand to those schools
b) the children not receiving a place due to that excess demand
c) the breakdown of those rejections with regard to where they were born

Do you have any data to this?

Otherwise, as the facts and rules currently are, the answer is it’s a matter of choice.

Your windmilling can’t extricate you out of the above.

Tim you seem to be making up a lot of things and supposing left right and centre. Please read the article i posted above there and get back to us.

Here it is @Tim_Riggins you dont even have to scroll up.

Beidh aonach amárach i gContae an Chláir…

4 Likes

You need to get out from under your mother’s thumb young man…

They don’t. They are naturally disadvantaged by their background.

There is quite clear statistical evidence on this.

The number of primary educated kids in Gaelscoil has increased from 6% to 8% since 2001.

BUT the number of kids educated in primary school has grown by 100k. 50k now (doubled) are educated in Irish only schools (no foreigners) meanwhile over 75k do not speak English at home.

Essentially what has happened is that “Irish parents” have decided that the issue of non national kids with language issues is for “others”.

Increased burden for others, meanwhile…:

The stats are the stats buddy. Pick all your Ruddy stories out.

Awwww. But you said no immigrants got into gaelscoileanna? You were pretty sure. You threw up an article from the it and said thats that folks. This fella came to ireland at 9 and went straight to a gaelscoil…The big pity is that the poor fella above had to leave his gaelscoil that instilled a love in irish in him and left him fluent cos the commute was too big. Sounds like we need more gaelscoileanna to me.

One other thing, if you honestly think that gaelscoileanna are the biggest exclusive club, what if i was a fella finishing primary school in posh south dublin? What are my options for secondary schools? Say for example, if i was from somewhere in Dublin 6 ? What would be my none fee paying options? Have a quick look there…

6 Likes

None of that is evidence of discrimination. You’ve made no inroads there. The foreigners have a right to attend the GS, like my kids do. That they choose not to is not evidence of discrimination. You can stick your fingers in your ears all you like, but that’s all your doing.

Athnion ciarog, ciarog eile