Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

Sean Og put it all to bed on the steps of the Hogan stand back in 05

1 Like

Sean og is a vwry irish name mate

The education system in Ireland is so much better than ingerland I couldn’t even begin to start.
So much so that herself has enrolled our lass for school in Ireland next year, God love them.

6 Likes

I worked with a load of teachers from england and was always struck by how deficient they were in basic knowledge. Lads who were experts in their subject but thick as mince generally, like basic science knowledge for example. I had to explain to a lad once that an apple would rot faster once cut open…

1 Like

If you want to pretend that 20% in some schools in Ballymun having kids of non Irish born backgrounds whilst others have 0% is fine then go right ahead.

I always said the stats were the stats- I posted this.

In broad terms what has happened in Ireland since 2001 is that the number of Gaelscoil children has more than doubled in absolute terms to over 50k. At the same time the number of children with English not their native language has grown from a tiny figure to close to 75k. As said, there is a negligible number in GS.

Problems with children from non English speaking backgrounds in classrooms includes more tuition time required. This naturally stretches resources.

Meanwhile “Irish” parents have been ditching this system and forcing everyone else to take up an increased slack.

In terms of your last question- nothing to do with the topic at hand. Another handy deflection tactic and you get the handy few likes from the lads embarrassed that a mirror has been shone on the reasons why they send their kids to GS.

I’m still waiting for you to justify why there should be a Irish Language Requirement for all primary school teachers btw.

Go on ……….

1 Like

It’s absolutely discrimination. Again, they are hardly going to nail the interview, are they?

It’s strange too- no need for the requirement. The rest of the primary school system gets on with having lots of non English speaking kids and they are like sponges. The same would happen in GS.

People also send kids to the nearest school to them be it educate together , gaelscoil whatever . They may also go with the first school that offers them a place .

They do indeed. But the stats are undeniable on the make up differences in these schools.

It’s the “separate but equal” of Ireland…

Do you think if a person wants to have their kids educated in Irish they should be allowed to?

I think the entire system should be through Irish. If they are going to exclude foreign educated teachers and demand a high standard of Irish, why not teach from day one through Irish with English to support it?

Now the argument then is that is just not practical and that the system (that the Irish language lobbyists have controlled mind you) has failed. They can’t rely on it.

But in practice what we are also seeing is that GS are furthering division of “native borns” and the “New Irish”. The numbers are clear on this. More and more non native speakers come into the regular system while “native borns” flock to the other system.

Are you taking the piss? I’m not answering your questions? You had a massive go at Irish, introduced the concept of Big Gaeilge and ttold us all it was a conspiracy. I’m waiting over a year for you to tell us how it all works and who is involved. Various lobbies and teachers you say… wow, its up there with who killed jfk.
As for your doozy of a question Matlock, here you go… There is an irish language requirement because they have to teach irish. There is also a maths requirement. And an english requirement. It’s not the stonemasons. And while your concern for the good folk of ballymun is touching, those schools are recognised as deis schools and get further funding to provide extra supports. As deis schools in disadvantaged areas all over the country get.
If you genuinely had an issue with educational apartheid and disadvantage, you would be going after the lack of resources in the inner city compared to elsewhere and private schools(see article below). You talk about natural exclusion and riff raff? Supposed equality but an unfair entrance because of non nationality? Doesnt get much more exclusive than ‘you’re not coming in if you dont pay 6 grand a year’… The esri say non nationals earn over 20% less than the irish here. How likely are they to be able to afford private schooling?
As you didn’t answer my question yesterday, I’ll tell you the answer. There are zero non fee paying schools for boys in Dublin 6. Zero. Anyone whose family isnt rich enough has to fuck off and be educated elsewhere. This is rife within posh south Dublin. Much more of a barrier to equal education than your supposed gaelscoil quango.
There is also the issue of admission policies, which schools are allowed develop themselves. As our own little lady is in 6th class, I’ve been bemused by the differences and rules in this area. Guess what? The admissions policies of the private schools are starkly different from public schools. Blackrock’s highest is kids from willow park, their own private primary school! So you have had to be paying in already for a few years. They also have sons of past pupils as one of their highest criteria! Gonzaga have sons of past pupils and even grandsons of past pupils up the top! Grand children of past pupils for fucks sake! All your talk of inequality and ringfencing resources and exclusion right there.

You have a bizarre bee in your bonnet about Irish. I get that. But dont use your faux concern for the kids of ballymun as a reason to bash it while consistently supporting the private school system here.

Now. Please outline your oft spoken conspiracy of Big Gaeilge.

1. Who is it?
  2. How do they run it?
  3. Why?
13 Likes

Self discovery is a good teaching strategy.
Step 1- Get 2 apples
Step 2- Cut 1 in quarters
Step 3 - Leave them all together for a few days.
Step 4 - Check once a day and report your findings back here.

1 Like

You’re patently incorrect and can’t accept that. They have the same opportunity as me, an Irish born citizen. Speculation of who nails the interview is just that, speculation, nothing in the realm of discrimination.

Eeeeeeeek, will be tough for @Tim_Riggins to windmill out of that one

it’s practical according to him to have entry requirements based on siblings or parental attendance in the past but it’s discriminatory to have language requirements for a language school

The non Gaelscoil schools spend first 2 years teaching the foreign kids English in some areas. I would rather my kids learned Irish and other subjects tbh. Call it snobbery - I call it putting them first

I think having a sibling in the school is very practical and should be very high on the list. Most schools have an area based qualification and will have a feeder school or two also. The positions of these change depending on the school. But holy fuck…‘get out of my way foreign riff raff, my Granpapa went here…’

I’d agree with having a current sibling, but a sibling that isn’t attending any more isn’t very practical, not as ridiculous as grandad but still…

what percentage of gaelscoileanna serve Gaeltacht areas or Gaeltacht adjacent areas? are there many in the 6?