Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

that’s not a discussion I’m having.

I’m saying a student should have as much flexibility as possible to tailor their education to meet their needs/wants beyond the junior cycle.

in what subject would you learn in it would.you say?

Excuse me?

Irish should be bet into every kid from Jnr Infants up. Did me no harm. Our Irish teacher spared no one. If you didn’t have your 4 page essay done on Monday he’d kick you off the chair and give you another kick when on the ground. Having always had my essays done I have fond memories of those kickings, great entertainment on a Monday morning. We all got honours for the Leaving.

3 Likes

Interestingly there’s now two different Irish courses at junior cert level. T1 for designated Irish speaking schools and T2 for English speaking schools. Basically means higher level students in a Gaelscoil will sit a different higher level junior paper than those in English speaking schools.

In our day we weren’t even taught it as a living language. It was just essays, grammar, poems, Peig Sayers and Stair Litriocht na Gaeilge.

1 Like

Who wrote that story about the fear gorm coming back to Donegal and dying on the mountatin?

So did I. Hated every minute I had to spend on it though.

All great works of art.

Seán Bán Breathnach. :wink: :pint:

Very few of us on here did good out of learning English at leaving cert level.

1 Like

Writing is indistinguishable from thinking for many people.

1 Like

Guys can we return to the vulgar/funny/traveller call out videos this noble thread previously highlighted?

3 Likes

We’re Irish. There’s your justification, Mr. Bruton.

2 Likes

Personally I find languages far more relevant to computing than sciences or mathematics.

Arguable that poems and plays by fellas from the 16th century are appropriate for learning about those languages; maybe the extent that those artefacts have been studied and analysed and documented already with the things students should be saying about them makes the exercise redundant.

2 Likes

Agreed. The structural form of language and learning that and how to apply it has a correlation to programming alright. Functional language. Composition.

You aren’t learning anything more about the language at that level, you’re interpreting art

That and understanding what the Functional Requirements are asking you to do.

Functional Requirements?

Haven’t you heard of agile?

1 Like

Yes but we call it “Trial By P1” where I work.

1 Like

I know a young lad with a degree in Computing and Linguistics and he’s made up for life.