Who the fuck do you think you are going around shutting down threads

The provinces combined get far more than any loss of club attendances. Far more.

Schools rugby is played all over the country and gets big audiences, North and South. It is a major part of glassroots rugby.

'm hearing reports that Sean O’Brien will miss game v Argentina after picking up a 2 week suspension, it’s been reduced to 1 week

Treviso.

Of course it is.

The mental gymnastics, Primetime on Thursday and Sunday aren’t good timeslots :joy:

Is it your contention that 1.6m is not roughly the same as 1.6m? Because that’s a very curious argument to be making.

Bump

Justice for the Carlow 1.

Reach is not viewership Rocko. Peak and average is what advertisers look for.

The rugby, as shown above, crushed the pivotal international football games shown at Primetime,

Advertisers? That’s nothing to do with my point. I made a point that they both had 1.6m people tuning in. You don’t want to accept that for some reason.

It’s funny that England v Australia, despite being on a Saturday night outrated Ireland v Germany on a Thursday at primetime.

The Rugby World Cup has captured the heart of the nation and when the UTV ratings come in, the island.

1 Like

It was 1.69 vs 1.6 for rugby of people who tuned in at some stage

Peak and average are the important audience barometers.

What’s funny is that the British soccer fans in here claim that rugby football fans don’t even enjoy the game and don’t watch it - the spike in audience for the ROI football came after the goal. The rugby annihilated both international football games in viewership. Unthinkable 15 years ago.

You’re ignoring the RTÉ player. The same number of people roughly watched both shows. Anyway, you’ve accepted the point, albeit in your odd style of trying to make a different one to distract from the fact the point doesn’t suit you.

I watched on the player as I had NFL on the go on TV…only a Langer wouldn’t factor this in.

1 Like

Sound. So the point of you scoffing at soccer followers not following local clubs doesn’t apply to rugby followers who don’t follow local clubs because the provinces get the crowds. Big attendances at school games alright. Hardly inflated by the schools giving a day off and bringing students.

TV3 don’t have a Player do they?

People tuning in for a minute is worth sweet fuck all. The masses getting a text off their mate to flick on RTÉ because Ireland just scored shows the fatigue for the sport in Ireland. Indeed even after that famous win the association football was crushed by an even greater margin on Sunday, despite Ireland’s passage to the Q Finals already being assured the ROI requiring a result to get through.

Face facts, kids these days aren’t interested in being ROI players. Growing up we had heroes all over the place with Ireland playing at the top level- Brady, to McGrath, to Roy Keane, to Robbie Keane to Damien Duff. These were the heroes of their time who played for major English clubs and strutted their stuff playing for Ireland. More kids today will want to be Séan O’Brien, Jamie Heaslip, Jonny Sexton, Paul O’Connell ect than Shane Long or any of the other assortment of star men from the Norwich City and Unattached. The Irish fans who ignored their own domestic league helped create the monster that is the English Premier League and that monster has eaten Irish football. In it’s place a new sport is rising, a 32 county sport with an anthem to unite the Island.

It’s beautiful and I hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Where are the provinces located mate, certainly not in post Industrial Revolutions shitholes in the North of England.

Why would kids want to be people with heads like cows and bodies like silverbacks?

Rugby has made very little inroads in the O6, I’m unaware of any major Catholic schools who play rugby today.

St Paul’s Bessbrook

@Tim_Riggins is excellent at

1 Like

I won’t shed a tear for not having most backward, country music loving, hicks on island getting on team rugby until last. Though that said much like Rory McIlroy it’s great to see broadminded parents like those of Craig Gilroy and Niall O’Connor throwing off the shackles of conservative Ireland in the form of the GAA and opening their arms to rugby football. ANd whilst it saddens me that my home team couldn’t get the result on Saturday it does give me an element of happiness that the bigots from up North who turned their back on their countries and associations who brought them through, will get to see Northern Ireland in France in 2016.

Time to accept the inevitable and get on board now pal, this is rugby country