Who would be the biggest and the best Hurley makers in the country?

You’re a great help

Maybe drop an email to a few of the manufacturers and ask for prices. I don’t think O’Dea has a website, but his mobile number is on Facebook.

In a 1980s schoolroom bandsaws were very very rare I’d say, even if one of the lads had one at home I’d be surprised if he was allowed bring it in.
A coping saw would have been too small, the fret was the right job for cutting medal boards out of tea chests. We also traced and cut various animal shapes

Did you do woodwork in secondary school? I did it for the Inter.

Just in first year, the teacher was a sadist and you’d be taking your life in your hands going into a room with the lads who took woodwork and various chisels and saws, it attracted a certain type

All the big hurley makers deliver abroad these days. Torpey definitely does

1 Like

I’d say your head used to fit nicely into the vice.

3 Likes

You would have loved a bit of mortise and tenon I’d say.

1 Like

I’m perturbed that your ‘free state’ has not even furnished you with the basic nomenclature associated with bandsaws, fretsaws and coping saws.
It is highly unlikely that any of the lads would have possessed a bandsaw. It’s even more unlikely that any of the lads would have been capable of moving this piece of machinery in and out of school.

A coping saw is typically bigger than a fretsaw, with fewer tpi and a wider throat. If a bandsaw wasn’t available I suspect a coping saw was the tool to reach for.
Unless you happened to have a frame saw handy, however I’d be surprised if such an elegant and skillfully made tool would make its way into the average classroom.

It’s hardly a jigsaw you’re thinking of?

Probably a bushman…

What’s a bushman?

Did ya never go down the fields cutting sticks?

SL500_AC_SS350

5 Likes

Best saw when you’re making hurls is a bansaw, and of. Best bansaw we had/have is one from a butchers shop; it must be 25 years old but still going strong.

I see, I’d call that a bow saw, but I’m sure bushman is just as accurate. It’s designed as a crosscut saw for cutting green wood- branches, small trees and the like. It would be very unsuitable for hurls were a small degree of accuracy is needed and almost all of the cutting is rip/long grain.

Probably English?

Thought we were talking about medal boards out of tea chests?

1 Like

You’d use that for metal?

Torpeys post em and its cheapish to let them do it, but youd nearly want someone to go down and pick one depending what you prefer, weight, flex etc id be afraid just ordering could leave you getting the cast offs

1 Like

A great yoke.

1 Like

Mate, this is a bit much now,
I know full well what a bandsaw is, hence my comment that ‘the lads’ wouldn’t have been able to bring one in.
You don’t appear to know what a fretsaw is because my comment that it is bigger would make sense surely, the space between the blade and the top of the saw is much larger,
Anyway it was just a bit of craic in 4th class

1 Like