Wicklow/Micklow

Blackie Connors would have cleaned house …

3 Likes

Carnew v Glenealy in the hurling used to have a tremendous name for fights and tussles as both teams regularly met in the senior final.

Are Glenealy the hurling wing of Rathnew ?

Yeah they would be. Likes of Leighton Glynn hurled for Glenealy. Think Bray are top dogs in Wicklow hurling these days.

1 Like

Bray playing in the Dublin leagues gives them a massive advantage.

Miley would have been ploughing Fidelma behind the sheds

2 Likes

Ploughman’s Tickle.

I don’t recall ever hearing about Bray footballers winning the senior championship… which is a bit mad given their resources …come to think of it you never hear of the bigger towns of bray arklow greystones winning. Wicklow town won a few recently …

Glenroe was a solidly rugby program. The only sporting action took place down at Greystones rugby club.

I think the biggest issue with the mother’s is often that they haven’t a notion of the rules of the game

3 Likes

Think AGB from Arklow have been strong enough recently without winning one. St Pats of Wicklow town have won a few titles recently. Is Eire Og the name of the GAA club in Greystones? Sounds like more of a rugby/soccer town. Bray must lean more towards the hurling than football. Considering the population, Wicklow definitely should have the population to perform better at inter-county level.
They had a strong U20 football team this year who nearly beat Dublin.

In my experience there were fuck all parents at any of our underage games. They’d turn out for county finals and the likes but nothing compared to now where there’d be a good crowd watching training. Nobody at all ever came to our soccer matches no matter how big the game.

3 Likes

That would largely have been my experience. My father might stay and watch a match if he had given a few of us a lift down the far end of the county.

Turning up in their SUVs wearing the gear to have coffee from a horsebox

2 Likes

Back in those days it was nearly that any parent who had any interest at all was generally on the management team. It all changed fairly quickly too. Even when I was young in the noughties all the mentors would generally have a full car of lads going to away games. These days it’s odd when at least one parent doesn’t go

Women in all sport.

Yeah that’s a huge change. Was all buses going to our games or the mentors packing their cars.

Looks like the one recording on her camera phone and roaring for Adam, got a clout herself from an irate granny right at the end of the clip.

2 Likes

Correct. Won our first hurling ‘A’ hurling title two years ago at u13, against Carnew, with similiar scenes after. Same team are u15 semi-finalists next Saturday. U15 footballers in the final saturday week. Underage football has been strong the last 10 years, winning a few minors. It’s a big town but there are a huge amount of sport clubs so it’s hard to hold them when they start dropping sports as they get older. Property has also gotten quiet expensive and is challenging for young people to get on the property ladder close to home, leading to them settling elsewhere and changing clubs.

2 Likes

Agreed. Disappointing to see a teacher try to explain this sort of violence away.