Words and phrases that are more commonly used on tfk than in real life

Presume it must be something along those lines. Up and north are obviously two different things so not really a contradiction.

“Back to” is usually westwards, “over to” is usually eastwards, though some might use them interchangeably.
You would go back to Quilty, but over to Scarriff.
Down and up are fairly obvious.
You “go into” a larger town, direction isn’t important.

3 Likes

“Behind in”

The Munster Final is on behind in Killarney.

6 Likes

A peculiar one around Meath, particularly North Meath near duleek etc.

Instead of saying “in the” they say “within in the” and sometimes “thin in the”

Where’s Tom?
He’s thin in the shed

“riddled”

“ Dermo “

We would say we were “going down to Cork”. In Kilmallock we would say we are going “uptown” when we are actually going from North to South. We would say we are going into limerick, Over to knocklong, up to kilfinane, down to Bruff, back to Charleville (eek) , up to Effin.

2 Likes

Finally it’s come to be. Kilmallock is the centre of the universe.

2 Likes

That’s why we built a wall around it.

1 Like

Referring to Stephen Kenny as Spock.

Ffg

“I wouldn’t often agree with Michael McDowell but …”

4 Likes

2004 Munster Final

“Are you a bit dim?”

Bang. Bang. Bang. Wait. Bang.

It’s like @markRenton in his prime

1 Like

Tonsorial

Of or relating to a barber or the work of a barber.

2 Likes

Danny Moloney’s house in Kilkishen is crumbling away due to pyrite. Danny is rightly exasperated, worried, angry and in deep shit. He can’t understand how in a country “Bullin’ with money” won’t fund 100% redress. Danny has a point.

why should the country pay. the house builders and cassidys should pay. nowt to do with joe taxpayer, caveat emptor and all that

1 Like

The builders are, in the main, now defunct or deceased. Cassidys are unlikely and probably unwilling to entertain claims. €3-5bn looks beyond their scope. I agree that it’s an unwelcome burden on the state but some institution will have to be crowbarred in to make these houses liveable and safe. Do insurance companies have any liabilities? I

In Glasgow you would go “through” to Edinburgh. You’d only say “I’m going through at the weekend” for example. Edinburgh need not be mentioned further