Work Motivation Techniques

One of my best pals does exactly this. He lives in manc, and does two days a week in London and the rest from home. I could put you in touch if you like. He a a grumpy OGG (old Galway gobshite) but has a heart of gold.

No mate, its nothing to do with the money at this stage.
There is a certain level of income needed to keep the show on the road and once that’s achieved I couldn’t give a fuck beyond that.

A lot of it is down to the nonsense that goes on within the corporate bubble. I look at my calendar today for example… 3 hours of meetings that are absolute nonsensical blurb.

Most 8 hour days in corporate life could be done in 3 of 4 hours if you filtered out the bullshit.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1112058, member: 686”]No mate, its nothing to do with the money at this stage.
There is a certain level of income needed to keep the show on the road and once that’s achieved I couldn’t give a fuck beyond that.

A lot of it is down to the nonsense that goes on within the corporate bubble. I look at my calendar today for example… 3 hours of meetings that are absolute nonsensical blurb.

Most 8 hour days in corporate life could be done in 3 of 4 hours if you filtered out the bullshit.[/QUOTE]
I know I only do about 4 hours of work anyway…

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1112058, member: 686”]
Most 8 hour days in corporate life could be done in 3 of 4 hours if you filtered out the bullshit.[/QUOTE]

But I thought you liked TFK mate?

Giving myself another 18 months to win the lotto and failing that probably drive off a cliff.

Don’t do that. That would be stupid.
You could throw yourself off and leave me your car?

Current work motivation is nil. Next few years: get a promotion within a year or two, get out of my current office into somewhere more interesting, see how that goes and stay if I like it or eye up a transfer to galway or limerick in circa 5 years time.

the way things are done in Ireland would depress anyone and suck the life out of them, no wonder the country is fucked and all the best talent leaves

Funny you should say that… I am just out of a meeting with a ‘Big Leagues’ HR Manager from the the US. It was a round table open forum thing that was dying a death as most of the folks in there had just consumed the free pizza and were their blood sugars were all over the shop. Anyway I did a quick check on my clarity levels and seized my opportunity and tore into her regarding the lack of promotional opportunities here and that the reason that people leaving the company once they hit a certain grade.

She told me there are loads of opportunities in North Carolina and right now and I would be a fool not to apply. It was a serious clamping in fairness to her and I took it on the chin.

just go into the county council offices in Ennis and you’ll see the calibre of person working there, says it all about the way the country is, utterly useless

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1112140, member: 686”]Funny you should say that… I am just out of a meeting with a ‘Big Leagues’ HR Manager from the the US. It was a round table open forum thing that was dying a death as most of the folks in there had just consumed the free pizza and were their blood sugars were all over the shop. Anyway I did a quick check on my clarity levels and seized my opportunity and tore into her regarding the lack of promotional opportunities here and that the reason that people leaving the company once they hit a certain grade.

She told me there are loads of opportunities in North Carolina and right now and I would be a fool not to apply. It was a serious clamping in fairness to her and I took it on the chin.[/QUOTE]if you are serious about a decent career, you need to leave Ireland

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1112018, member: 686”]Losing motivation for corporate cubicle life. How do some people do it for 40 years or more?
I look up the ladder here and all I see is another 1000 or so a month to run around the world like a rag doll every second week.

Whats ye’re long term plan lads?[/QUOTE]

I’m in the process of going out on my own in the next while. Been planing it for a few months and getting things in order and have most things ready to go. Was going to happen in the next 2 or 3 months, but had a positive phone call today from a prospective client so it might happen sooner than I thought. I have another venture going too which may or may not be a nice little project on the side. Been thinking of going out on my own for a long time, but turning down a stable wage in the construction sector to try go out on my own in rural Ireland would have been foolish to do 3 or 4 years ago, but things changing a bit and may as well give it a shot and hopefully it’ll work out. It’s a bit daunting to be doing it having the dependency of a family and mortgage, but fuck it, you may as well enjoy life and make money for yourself and do stuff you enjoy, and not be breaking your balls for pittance so some corporate types make the profit you create for them.

Good luck mate. Its a brave decision but well worth it.
What ever you do put a solid payment plan in place that doesn’t leave you chasing people. Its the most time consuming frustrating part of working for yourself.

There’s a lot to be said for being a low level corporate excel jockey lads. Let someone else worry about having enough cash in the till to pay the wages. Do an honest day’s work, collect your check and get on with your life.

There’s also a lot to be said for being a corporate whore. It can really help distract from the mundanities of ordinary life and how much of a clusterfuck you made of your life. Keep your head down, do your 60 hours a week, join the conference calls when you’re on holidays. Before you know it you’ve grinded out your life and you’re nearly at the finish line.

but they’re out the door at 4 o clock or whatever and not giving a fuck about their job until the next day… a lot to be said for getting home to family at a reasonable time and not even thinking about work til the next time your in the office…you might miss out having the money to buy a huge car or drop 200 on getting pissed every Saturday night and dying in bed the next day with hangover but sure time is a currency too…

:clap:

Fair play Gman, very best of luck.

working 40 hours a week is a mugs game, through hard work and dedication I have reached a point in my life at nealyl 38 years of age where I am free from 2pm every day

Fair play Gman. Brave decision when you get married, have kids etc. Hope it all works out well. That few bob saved from that all inclusive reception should come in handy.

Spot on.

If you have a mortgage and kids relying on you then the goalposts shift. Nothing at all wrong going for some security.